Author Topic: What's piled on your bedside table to be read?  (Read 8352 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: What's piled on your bedside table to be read?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
Have not caved to a kindle yet though suspect will be forced to soon.
But let me know what you think of it Wmenorr.

Love the Kindle.  Although it isn't the same as holding a book it is a lot better for travel such as I do.  I haven't yet but I can get Army manuals in PDF form and put on it along with other documents if need be.  Right now the biggest downside is not having 3G coverage to be able to turn it on and just download my latest purchases.  I have to get on the internet with my laptop, download the "book" to my computer then transfer to the Kindle.  A little time consuming and pain in the ass but once back in the states it is just a matter of turning on the 3G and getting a signal.  "Book" is downloaded in seconds.

I will let you know what I think of the book once I start reading it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain novels from the Warhammer 40K universe.
First things I bought for my new Kindle. I actually enjoy reading the Kindle more than my paper books.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Dante "Paradisio"

I feel for you. After reading that, I had to reconsider whether I really wanted to go to heaven, for an eternity of boredom.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
I remember reading Alas, Babylon in high screwl. I need to go find that at the library and re-read that.

It;'s the one about the community in central FLA after a Nuclear War between the Us and USSR.  It was the first TEOTWAWKI book I ever read.  Made me start thinking about survival and prepping (although when your 14-15 and living at home, there's only so much you can do)  I want to say it was 2-3 years later that "The Day After" was broadcast and then everyone started in on TEOTWAWKI type stuff.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
I will. I should finish up the Laumer book today and will probably start reading it tomorrow (unless a printer falls on me or something). For when you finally end your independent and outlandish ways and get a Kindle, I found Armegeddon 2419 on:

http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

Which also has a lot of other stuff that I think would be up your alley.

Apparently it's a short read so you should be able to complete it between filling out insurance claim forms and awaiting foot surgery. In between all of that and attempting to construct clothing of bacon, maybe you could find time to send me a short list of others you think might appeal to me since we seem to have somewhat similar tastes except with regard to sausage and the definition of outlandish.

To all of you kindle fans (Ben, Wmenorr, Cromlech, to name a few) - I GET IT! Kindle is the greatest thing since Gore invented the internet.

I remember reading Alas, Babylon in high screwl. I need to go find that at the library and re-read that.

It;'s the one about the community in central FLA after a Nuclear War between the Us and USSR.  It was the first TEOTWAWKI book I ever read.  Made me start thinking about survival and prepping (although when your 14-15 and living at home, there's only so much you can do)  I want to say it was 2-3 years later that "The Day After" was broadcast and then everyone started in on TEOTWAWKI type stuff.

If they don't have it, you can just borrow my copy. The first TEOTWAWKI book I read was Lucifer's Hammer, Niven and Purnell, loved it and that got me hooked. Think I was about 15 too. As to The Day After, my Civ teacher showed it in class but we had to have permission slips signed by parents and my mother was certain it was the work of the devil so I wasn't allowed to see it. Instead I spent that 2 periods in the principle's office and made sure I got caught reading a book about satanic worship I snuck out of the local library. She wasn't pleased. Always did have issues with being told I couldn't do something. Still have never seen the movie though. Think it's still out there on DVD somewhere?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »

I must have read that book hundreds of times in the seventies. In my high school the cute gal next door had to write a book report about it ( so I did it for her ) She got an A plus.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »
Don't leave Star Man's Son off your list if you like Alas, Babylon.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Just "bought" the Kindle version of Armageddon 2419.  It was free since it is in the public domain.

Have not caved to a kindle yet though suspect will be forced to soon.
But let me know what you think of it Wmenorr.

Finished reading it a couple of days ago.  Quick read.  Good insight and thoughts on what the world would be like in 500 years.  Good visual through the writing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Finally read MHI. Vendetta and Alpha are on deck. Rereadong To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth, and I was gifted a nice printing of Gibbon's Decline and Fall.

Also, for anyone interested in a different perspective on the late Republic, I highly recommend Anthony Everitt's biography of Cicero.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »

Finished reading it a couple of days ago.  Quick read.  Good insight and thoughts on what the world would be like in 500 years.  Good visual through the writing.

Thanks! Good insight and good visualization usually = good read.

I'm still not done with The Breath of God. New author and while his writing is solid in the sense that I don't find myself restructuring sentences and using my imaginary red pen while reading, the fact that I'm not done with it after starting it a week ago says it all. The premise is that Jesus (who may or may not really be the physical son of God) gained his enlightenment in Buddhist temples in Bhutan, thus explaining the missing 18 years of his life. So far the Christian's are up in arms and the Monks aren't ponying up the original documents from Jesus' travels there, and of course there's the psychopath, former special forces, misguided bad guy who's attempting to do God's will by killing the grad student who's bringing this revalation to light. And an artsy girl the grad student seems fairly apathetic about but who is obviously the love interest.
I'm enjoying the theology and history, but it's moving a tad slow. I'm halfway through, maybe it will pick up in the latter half.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

brimic

• friends
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »
I have a 1/2 dozen or so books on my nightstand that I read in the in-between times depending on mood:
'The Road to Serfdom' by Hayek
'Slaughterhouse Five' by Vonnegut
'The Green Hills of Africa' Hemingway
'xxx Prey'  by John Sandford  (xxx=I cant rememebr the exact title- they all sound the same)
and Something by David Baldacci that I haven't stared reading yet.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama