Author Topic: Watch Out, Missouri Cyclists:  (Read 4142 times)

HankB

• friend
Watch Out, Missouri Cyclists:
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
Another take on flash mobs - groups of "youths" are apparently attacking and beating up bicyclists for kicks in St. Louis:

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/08/29/alert-for-swarm-and-slug-mobs/

One of the victims stated that they didn't seem to want to rob him, they just wanted to beat him up. If so, this is a disturbing turn of events, as it isn't just a group of shoplifters - these are thugs who want to hurt people for fun.   (Didn't something like this happen in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Watch Out, Missouri Cyclists:
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »
Can we stop calling these things flash mobs?  That is the term for an organized secret event where a lot of people participate in some silly activity at a predetermined time and place.  For example, walking around talking to a banana like it's a cell phone.

"Improv Everywhere" is a group that puts on a lot of great examples of this.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
Eh... I'm okay with the use.

Flash.. well, that indicates the use of social media and wireless communications to organize. Mob.. well that's just a mob.

The fact that the funny/oddball performance art groups coined the term first doesn't quite give them ownership of the term when it fits the nefarious definition just as well, or better.

And yes, it did happen at the WI State Fair, who's grounds are 1/4 in Milwaukee and 1/4 in the inner-ring suburb of West Allis.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »
[Obligatory prediction of eventual encounter between flash mob and CCW holder.]

Hm. My boss is a cyclist and lives in the city. I will make sure she knows about this. She is NOT a CCW type, though. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »
Speaking of posers...  anybody else amused by all the posters going all ITG* mentioning firearm specifics?

*Internet Tough Guy

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
Can we stop calling these things flash mobs?  That is the term for an organized secret event where a lot of people participate in some silly activity at a predetermined time and place.  For example, walking around talking to a banana like it's a cell phone.

"Improv Everywhere" is a group that puts on a lot of great examples of this.

This one is a lost battle.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
This one is a lost battle.
You're probably right.

I'm going to get back to hacking this website now.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
[Obligatory prediction of eventual encounter between flash mob and CCW holder.]

Hm. My boss is a cyclist and lives in the city. I will make sure she knows about this. She is NOT a CCW type, though. 

I am.  Whenever I am on the bicycle. Please do not try to commit a deadly force felony upon me whilst I am on the bicycle.  Appropriate action may be taken.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
They call them MO-ped mobs.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »
Same thing happened here in Philly back in 09, a couple times, then once again this summer. Same exact situation, lone cyclist assaulted for no reason, nothing stolen. The one this time was an older gent, they cracked his skull open.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Now why can't the DUY's (Disadvantaged Urban 'Yutes) strike when there's one of those Critical Mass rides?  ???
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »
Now why can't the DUY's (Disadvantaged Urban 'Yutes) strike when there's one of those Critical Mass rides?  ???

Wouldn't be easy pickins.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:53:10 AM »
For the same reason PETA types generally prefer to throw paint on elderly ladies wearing fur, rather than Hell's Angels wearing leather.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 10:11:07 AM »
Wouldn't be easy pickins.

In Seattle, some of the CM riders like to use their U-locks to smash cars that interfere with their rides.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
In Seattle, some of the CM riders like to use their U-locks to smash cars that interfere with their rides.

And that is why you have GOT to control your bliss-ninnies.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 10:21:40 AM »
In most big cities, critical mass is just a collection of lefty activists. If they weren't clogging the road, they'd be burning down a new housing development or attacking an animal research facility somewhere.
Showed up once for a cm ride.  Figured the agenda out right quick like.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
A coupld of years ago I heard through the grapevine (must be true, right?) that a guy in a pickup who had a biker smash his windshield with a chain responded by twitching his steering wheel to the right . . .

Didn't end well for the cyclist.

Not wise to pick a fight with a guy driving a 2-ton battering ram.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
A coupld of years ago I heard through the grapevine (must be true, right?) that a guy in a pickup who had a biker smash his windshield with a chain responded by twitching his steering wheel to the right . . .

Didn't end well for the cyclist.

Not wise to pick a fight with a guy driving a 2-ton battering ram.

I'm sure that I would be so startled that I might momentarily lose control of my pickup  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin