Author Topic: hose that is flexible in freezing temperatures  (Read 1499 times)

zahc

• friend
hose that is flexible in freezing temperatures
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
I'm building a glycol chiller for my beer fermenters, using my chest freezer. The problem I'm having is that the clear plastic hose that I'm using becomes absolutely rock hard at freezing temperatures. I need to find another type of 3/8" ID hose that remains usefully flexible. I have a feeling silicone would work, but I don't know where to find it and I'm afraid of how much it might cost. Any ideas? Latex? It will be low, essentially atmospheric pressure.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Triphammer

• friend
Re: hose that is flexible in freezing temperatures
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
I've used natural rubber/ surgical tubing @ near 0Deg F. but it becomes glass brittle when soaked in dry ice & alcohol. $1.44 per ft from McMaster -Carr. I've purchased it @ the local Ace Hardware, as well. Can't remember the price. McMaster's "about" pages are a wealth of information when I'm trying to choose a suitable material for some one off project and I don't want to do a lot of experimenting.

geofan

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
a reinforced vinyl tubeing is likely your best option , all materials that I know of will lose some flexibility in colder contions I assume your issue is not lossing your structural integrity .

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
all materials that I know of will lose some flexibility in colder contions I assume your issue is not lossing your structural integrity .

Well the clear hose I bought from Lowes gets so hard in the freezer that it might as well be rigid. It really surprised me how hard it got, so I can't bend it to go where I need it and I have a feeling than any sort of barb fittings or anything will leak due to the lack of elasticity.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

geofan

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
I would add a hose clamp  ( those aircraft spring clamps are best ) but a worm drive hose clamp is fine to . but even without extreme conditions I allways thing its a good idea to reinforce a barb connection 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10mm-13-32-Spring-Clip-Action-Hose-Clamps-x-50-pcs-/250714171629?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3a5fbaa8ed

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
Teflon or silicone are both possibilities.  Check out lab supply places like Cole-palmer, look for the hoses they use for lab chillers, buy similar material from mcmaster or similar.