Author Topic: Tools and their uses.  (Read 3338 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Tools and their uses.
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... it transforms human energy into a crooked unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence it's course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50-cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A #%*!!&$# TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a $#**%^$' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool you will need.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
Re: Tools and their uses.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
Coworkers are giving me funny looks for the laughs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
DREMEL MOTO-TOOL: Much beloved by professional gunsmiths, the Dremel is most often used by do-it-yourselfers to gouge finishes, rough-grind engagement surfaces, and remove "too much" metal, usually requiring parts replacement.

HAND JIGSAW: A portable power tool used to cut crooked lines in flat stock. It occasionally finds use in cutting through at least a portion of the workbench the flat stock is set upon.

POWER SCREWDRIVER: A portable power tool used to strip out the threads of small irreplaceable workpieces during attempted attachment.

PRESSURE WASHER: An exceptionally useful, male-oriented device which, when used, will result in female companions forbidding one from washing dishes, walls, or dogs. EVER.   ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
PRESSURE WASHER: An exceptionally useful, male-oriented device which, when used, will result in female companions forbidding one from washing dishes, walls, or dogs. EVER.
It also works great for stripping bugs off automobile bumpers, as well as paint and chrome.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
It also works great for stripping bugs off automobile bumpers, as well as paint and chrome.
Also for peeling potatos =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
That was great!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
So true..............................................................chris3

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »
I'm at work, deciding whether to mail-bomb the whole maintenance department or be more selective of my targets.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
BENCH GRINDER: Used to bend the crap out of the piece of steel you are currently trying to deburr after nearly launching it out of your grip. Alternatively, used as a substitute for a flint and steel fire starter.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »
WOOD LATHE:  Wood turning tool used to test the shoulder seams of your long sleeve shirts.  Alternatively can be used to throw extremely sharp wood chisels in random directions if you find a knot in the piece you were turning.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
compound miter saw at extreme angles on small pieces     high speed nail trimmer
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
This has been making the rounds on the the innertube for years.  But every time I read it, I find myself laughing out loud and nodding my head....usually after making sure all the bandages are still firmly attached to the wounds created by the use of some of the tools on the list, or checking the yellow pages for someone to come and charge me money while they stiffle laughter while fixing certain things.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
The list cracks me up, but oddly enough there's only one that doesn't resonate with me, and I've got a funny story about it:

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

Back when I was 10 years old I got the job of cutting down 1"x1" angle iron to make benches in one of our greenhouses.  You can give a kid of that age such a job if you're in agriculture and it's not a corporation, or at least I think you could legally do that.

Anyway, that was my job.  Running the band saw to cut things into the right lengths.  Took FOREVER to make a cut though.  That part I remember.  After a couple of days on the job somebody realized that they'd installed the band backwards and it was running with the teeth going the wrong way.  They flipped it around and my productivity went way up, which is very important when you're making like $2/hour.

Good times.  Lots of old memories are floating back now that I'm back in the family business. :)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »
BENCH GRINDER: Used to bend the crap out of the piece of steel you are currently trying to deburr after nearly launching it out of your grip. Alternatively, used as a substitute for a flint and steel fire starter.

Worse: piece gets away from you, jams between the left wheel and the rest, rapidly braking the shaft from 7200RPM to 0RPM, considerably faster than the right wheel can stop, resulting in the right wheel's retaining nut departing and the still-spinning wheel doing a burnout across the benchtop and the back of your right hand while you're trying to back away.

Fortunately, there's barely a scar now...and the wheel wasn't damaged at all thanks to the padding effect of my hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
WOOD LATHE:  Wood turning tool used to test the shoulder seams of your long sleeve shirts.  Alternatively can be used to throw extremely sharp wood chisels in random directions if you find a knot in the piece you were turning.

You need a better toolrest and longer handles on your tools.  Bad knots should be flinging chunks of the workpiece.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:30 PM »
Worse: piece gets away from you, jams between the left wheel and the rest, rapidly braking the shaft from 7200RPM to 0RPM, considerably faster than the right wheel can stop, resulting in the right wheel's retaining nut departing and the still-spinning wheel doing a burnout across the benchtop and the back of your right hand while you're trying to back away.

http://kd5nrh.smugmug.com/photos/860624845_2F7sL-M-1.jpg

Fortunately, there's barely a scar now...and the wheel wasn't damaged at all thanks to the padding effect of my hand.

Ouch. :O

Luckily the stuff I was working with was pretty soft, which is why it bent and I was able to hold onto it instead of it flying back into my stomach or face, which is where it probably would have ended up otherwise.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 11:42:02 PM »
I've got a 4" Makita angle grinder. It also has a sanding wheel  that goes on it.
The sanding wheel will take nice deep notches out of your skin when it makes conatct.
I've loaned it out to a few trusted individuals several times always with the very stern warning about wearing gloves while using the sanding wheel.
EVERY TIME, they brought it back with a nasty gouge from the sanding wheel. When asked if they were wearing gloves they all said no.
 ;/ =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 01:58:21 AM »
Luckily the stuff I was working with was pretty soft, which is why it bent and I was able to hold onto it instead of it flying back into my stomach or face, which is where it probably would have ended up otherwise.

No such luck; IIRC, I was taking advantage of the fact that I can get cheap files at the pawn shop for less than the cost of a 1/4"x1.5"x10" blank of O1, and grinding one into a scraper for the lathe.

I do have enough sense to epoxy the big plastic handle on before grinding; they have the pointy tang on them, but the handle they come with is pretty decent for the $3-4 price tag.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »
I've got a 4" Makita angle grinder. It also has a sanding wheel  that goes on it.
The sanding wheel will take nice deep notches out of your skin when it makes conatct.
I've loaned it out to a few trusted individuals several times always with the very stern warning about wearing gloves while using the sanding wheel.
EVERY TIME, they brought it back with a nasty gouge from the sanding wheel. When asked if they were wearing gloves they all said no.
 ;/ =D

The 4" side grinders are very useful tools.

The big side grinders are devices that are also very useful; particularly if you are seeking to inadvertantly maim or kill yourself. One of the problems is they hold onto a lot of their torque after you release the trigger...takes a long time for that big grinding wheel to slow down.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »
Guilty to all of the above. :D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
The 4" side grinders are very useful tools.

The big side grinders are devices that are also very useful; particularly if you are seeking to inadvertantly maim or kill yourself. One of the problems is they hold onto a lot of their torque after you release the trigger...takes a long time for that big grinding wheel to slow down.

I never had too much trouble with them, other than I burned up a couple of 9" grinders from using them too hard.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
 ;/ =D

I have a big scar on the top of my left middle finger from one of those and that was after going through the heavy leather work glove!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
You need a better toolrest and longer handles on your tools.  Bad knots should be flinging chunks of the workpiece.

Thankfully, tweren't me....  But I was watching as it grabbed that tool and flung it a good 3 inches into the drywall ceiling above the lathe....  Handle first..........
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy