Author Topic: Air Tabs - air vortex generators to reduce vehicle drag  (Read 2958 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Air Tabs - air vortex generators to reduce vehicle drag
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »
http://www.airtab.com/

Anyone have 'em?

Anyone use 'em?

Anyone know if they're a load of bunk or supposed to really help?

Ever since I installed my camper shell on my pickup, I've lost about 1-1.5 mpg on my truck.  I'm thinking about installing these around the perimeter of the camper shell on top and sides, to see if I can regain that fuel efficiency (and perhaps more).  They're $2.75 a piece and are supposed to be spaced 3 per foot.  I have a 4 foot wide roof and 2 feet each on the sides for a total of 8 feet, or 24 total units.

Reading online reports, it seems they are oversized for tiny little eco-weenie cars and create more drag than they produce in benefit.  But they help truckers immensely.

My Dodge Ram 1500 with big negative-pressure-creating camper shell and sheer boxy rear end would be fighting a stronger negative pressure differential than a little Honda Insight.  I'm thinking my truck might be big enough to derive more benefit from them, than cost in drag.

It would cost $66 to outfit the outer edge of my camper shell along the top and sides.  Or, $33 to just do the top edge of the camper shell.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Air Tabs - air vortex generators to reduce vehicle drag
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
My initial response would be
I smell bullshit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:32:25 PM »
My dad bought those back when he was still trucking over the road. He put them on the back of the cab of his semi truck, but he didn't put them on the back of his trailer because he pulled the company's trailer. He bought the clear ones. If I remember, he didn't notice any mileage increase or decrease. Based on our typical data, we would easily have noticed a 1/2mpg increase, but if the increase was more like .2 mpg it's hard to say if we would be able to tell. The airtabs stick very well and I don't think any of them fell off, but the clear ones get ugly because road grime gets under them. 
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
Do they sell the fuel line magnets, too?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
No, but they sell electric turbochargers.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
I'm with the rest of them, I can't see it making much difference.  If it made a huge difference, I would think the manufacturers would add them and lobby the Govt to change the way MPG is measured.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
My dad bought those back when he was still trucking over the road. He put them on the back of the cab of his semi truck, but he didn't put them on the back of his trailer because he pulled the company's trailer. He bought the clear ones. If I remember, he didn't notice any mileage increase or decrease. Based on our typical data, we would easily have noticed a 1/2mpg increase, but if the increase was more like .2 mpg it's hard to say if we would be able to tell. The airtabs stick very well and I don't think any of them fell off, but the clear ones get ugly because road grime gets under them. 

This.  If they actually were worth the money the company would have them on the trailers.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
This.  If they actually were worth the money the company would have them on the trailers.

An economics professor and two grad students walk into a bar.

The grad students notice that there's a $100 bill lying on the floor, but the professor walks right over it.

Students: "Aren't you going to pick up the $100 bill?"

Professor: "If there really were a $100 bill on the floor, someone would have picked it up already"
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
I'm going with fuel saver scam.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »

Chris

I saw this at my local mall's "As Seen on TV" store full of infomercial gadgets. http://www.fuelshark.org/

I just about pissed myself laughing.  :laugh:

Although you can save LOTS of fuel on the Interstate. You just have to be willing to draft a semi truck at about 2-3 car-lengths for as long as you're able.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

Chris

and MAP sensor +mpg +hp gizmos.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
Vortex generators only work to energize a boundary layer to maintain flow attachment longer, as such, they need to be placed where the layer would normally trip, or a bit before.  In other words, if it's in dirty air, they don't do anything, and likely make things worse.  They are best used to reduce drag when you have smooth flow, and then the surface moves away from the flow (e.g. Top of a wing, or at the end of a sedan's roof before the rear glass).  On a camper shell or trailer, those aren't really happening.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
My motor-head, drag-racing friend was much less scientific than you lot. I showed him the picture of the tabs on the yellow 'Vette. He just said, "Yeah, that looks gay."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
I searched a few auto forums. They can change aerodynamics, but every case is different. Some say mileage improved, some lost mileage, some there was no change.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_3061/article.html
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?