Author Topic: Calling Oleg and other Photographers  (Read 5542 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Calling Oleg and other Photographers
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
So my new job involves pulling information off of transformers mounted on utility poles.  The information is located on a data plate typically 4"x6" on one of the mounting brackets.  For this, the company provides a 20x-60x spotting scope.  We're also required to take a photo of the transformer and the pole on which it's mounted, so the electric company can confirm the configuration (single phase on the primary, etc).

Once the info has been pulled from the data plate, we have to enter it into a laptop.  Since we're paid by the unit, time is important.  The other trainees and I quickly realized that a lot of time is spent transferring the data plate info from the image in the spotting scope to the laptop.  Obviously it would be easier to take a picture of the data plate, then enter the info into the laptop from the comfort of our vehicles.  The company can't provide anything other than a spotting scope and a typical digital camera.

So, the question is:  Are there any cameras out there with a 60x optical zoom that can pull 18-point typeface from a 4"x6" plate mounted twenty feet off the ground?  If so, are they too expensive to justify a private purchase?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Calling Oleg and other Photographers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
Could you mount your typical digital camera on a telescoping 12' pole and hold it high enough to take a picture  ???

Would need a remote trigger, though ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
http://www.eagleoptics.com/digital-camera-adapters

Getting an adapter would be cheaper.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
You shouldn't need a "60x" zoom to get the job done.  Remember with a digital camera you will be able to crop the image pretty tightly (AKA "digital zoom").  Most digital cameras allow you to digital zoom the image on playback by pressing the zoom buttons.  All you really need is a camera that has a lens capable of supporting the amount of megapixels it sports on its sensor.

That said, a standard 1/4-20 bolt is the thread size for the tripod mounting screw on the bottom of almost all cams.  Mount the camera on the end of a 10 or 12-foot pole, use the 10-second delay feature to allow you time to position the camera.  Position it close to level with the transformer, and about 5-10 feet away.  Whatever you need to get the whole thing in the shot.  I'll bet you will be able to read the plate from that.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
if you have a steady hand, you can hold a point in shoot in front of the scope and do better then you think. if that's not an option, i would suggest looking into a T-mount setup, of maybe a 200mm or 300mm and a 2x teleconverter. [a 70-300mm zoom might even be able to get the job done] and a used dSLR. but what do i know. =)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
As said already, a used dSLR with a cheap 300mm+ lens should do it.  You could probably find a used setup for $5-600...convince them that it would save 5-10 minutes a pole, multiply by your wages, and tell them how many it would take to make it up...probably less than they think.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Or get an adapter for the scope and a HD webcam that mounts to it, run it direct to the laptop...also probably less than a few hundred

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
As said already, a used dSLR with a cheap 300mm+ lens should do it.  You could probably find a used setup for $5-600...convince them that it would save 5-10 minutes a pole, multiply by your wages, and tell them how many it would take to make it up...probably less than they think.

For reference, here is a 300mm lens shot of my pantry from my desk.  About 80 feet straight through the house.

And here is the 100% crop of the same photo.

The camera is 18 megapixels.
I took the 18-megapixel photo and converted it to a 4.5 megapixel photo, then took another 100% crop of the same area and got this:
Here is a 100% crop after converting the image from 18 megapixel to 4.5 megapixel:

So yeah.  The cheapest DSLR you can find that still works is probably going to be more than 4.5 megapixels.  You can find el-cheapo 75-300mm lenses for around $100 used.

And remember this shot was from 80 feet away.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Rosalyn

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »
One thing about the adapter for the long range scopes is that you have to worry about camera shake. It would work on a tripod but it might be hit or miss with a handheld shot. As far as a 300mm lens or zooms, you might want to look for one with image stabilization. This will get you two or three more stops which will allow you to shoot with less light like in the morning or evening or when the plate is in the shade.
Rosalyn - I can't wait until black friday sales

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 05:15:07 PM »
Thank you to all who replied.  After a day of field training I have a much better idea of what will work.  So far the greatest advantage of a camera over the scope would be eye fatigue.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »
I have a Pentax K20d and some long lenses for sale fairly cheaply if you do want to go the dslr route.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:14:53 PM »
Other options:

1) Stilts

2) Chainsaw
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
The whole project started because of the need/desire to replace dreaded 10-CA mineral oil with non-PCB coolant.  Not sure I want that stuff falling on my head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:52:47 PM by Devonai »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 01:55:11 AM »
Well that's cool, now you have a solution for that summertime dust on your driveway! :P
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
In Lefkowitz's classic "manual of closeup photography", he has pictures and details of a homemade gizmo for taking macro photographs with any camera, including a rangefinder camera, which does not have a through-lens viewfinder. It's kind of a wire frame, attached to the camera by the tripod socket, that has wire-loop arms sticking out on each side of the lens, such that they stick out by the right distance so that when you jam the camera against a flat surface, the camera is held the correct distance away so that said flat surface will automatically be in focus. The shape of the wire frame projections outlines the rough "framelines" in the object-space, so you can compose the photograph that way. You basically end up with a very quick and brainless way to copy small information, because you just stick the camera against the thing you are looking to copy, with the relevant portion centered in the gizmo, and snap the picture, and there is no need to look through the viewfinder or hold the camera a certain distance away or anything.

I think that I would try a cheap camera on a pole trick, and a device like this, before spending lots of money on fancier equipment, which is not going to be able to image the nameplate without a lot of angular distortion. And if you can fill the camera frame with the nameplate, aided by a device like this, you may be able to read the information right off the camera screen.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »
I think one of the reasons why many of us were suggesting the telephoto approach was they could do the entire operation from the car/truck, without any equipment setup/takedown.  While the point and shoot on a long stick would work quite well, the additional 1-2 minutes (benefit of the doubt minimum time) times two guys, times wages, would pay for the more expensive setup in 200 or so shots...not to mention could be done in inclement weather.  Also, due to the potential (pun intended) hazards of sticking things near active transformers, the poles and trigger devices will not be cheap.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
I think one of the reasons why many of us were suggesting the telephoto approach was they could do the entire operation from the car/truck, without any equipment setup/takedown.  While the point and shoot on a long stick would work quite well, the additional 1-2 minutes (benefit of the doubt minimum time) times two guys, times wages, would pay for the more expensive setup in 200 or so shots...not to mention could be done in inclement weather.  Also, due to the potential (pun intended) hazards of sticking things near active transformers, the poles and trigger devices will not be cheap.

Actually that's not a bad idea to take to the company.  Sell them on the financial benefit of supplying you with a camera/lens setup.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »
It's worth a shot, but I'm a 1099 employee, so I doubt they'll play ball.  I'm already planning a metric ****ton of deductions so I could just save the receipt.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 12:23:20 AM »
Actually that's not a bad idea to take to the company.  Sell them on the financial benefit of supplying you with a camera/lens setup.

Brad

I think it just might be a bad idea.  If the company sees it as a financial benefit, I'd bet they would supply all of their independent contractors with the same setup and at the same time decide to pay less per transformer.

As it is now, Devonai has an advantage over the others and still gets the same rate as they do.  I say don't let the company know.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.