Author Topic: Commercial Jetpack in 2012  (Read 3414 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Commercial Jetpack in 2012
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/first-commercial-jetpack-sell-100-000-dreams-flying-163844579.html

The Martin Jetpack is scheduled to go on sale in 2012, and the current price tag is set at a lofty $100,000. Amazingly, it's actually legal: It will meet the FAA's strict standards for ultralight aircraft flight. By design, the jetsetter along for the ride won't be able to exceed 63 miles per hour, with a flight time limited to 30 minutes.

Granted only a 30min flight time, but it would be more fun than a Chevy Volt! (Edited to add picture)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:01:19 PM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Commercial Jetpack in 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »
I have about a 7 mile commute.....  this could work!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
I have about a 7 mile commute.....  this could work!

Same here! I don't think I want to spend 100K to shave 7 minutes off the commute, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
There was that other company with a similar design that folded and re-orged, and I think went into UAV work instead. The Solotrek...

So how can two companies crack the nut of the "flying backpack" in a reasonably short time, but Moller never seems to get anywhere with his "car" that he's been plugging for what, 20 years now?  :laugh:

IIRC, they've got video of some crane-tethered hovering in 2003, but nothing I can find since.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »
Same here! I don't think I want to spend 100K to shave 7 minutes off the commute, though.
Yeah, and it only takes 64 AA batteries.  

Can you just use a long extension cord? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Hmm, so it is actually a gasoline engine driving two ducted fans.  Not exactly what I think of when I hear the term 'jetpack'. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
Hmm, so it is actually a gasoline engine driving two ducted fans.  Not exactly what I think of when I hear the term 'jetpack'. 

Unless some serious breakthroughs in physics come to pass, and equally serious breakthroughs in engineering happen that can implement those breakthroughs, you'll probably never see something the size of the well known Bell "flying belt" style jetpack that can fly a human being at something approaching "car ranges" at "car/motorcycle speeds"

The Bell-style jet-packs seen in movies, and stunts at sporting events etc. only have a flight time of like 30-60 seconds, and use nearly pure hydrogen peroxide, explosively catalyzed over a platinum mesh to produce the thrust. There's even more energetic compounds, but they're even more dangerous and unstable.

Any power source, be it chemical, electrical, nuclear that you could possibly conceive of that would carry a human into the air and move him a tens of miles per hour, for even say 50 or 100 miles, and packed into the same footprint of the Bell pack also would make a pretty decent bomb.

It's just too much energy in too small a space that's needed to do the work all via direct thrust. Helicopters and airplanes that instead use the energy to push off of the air with rotors, propellers, and wings are many, many times more efficient.

I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
There was that other company with a similar design that folded and re-orged, and I think went into UAV work instead. The Solotrek...

So how can two companies crack the nut of the "flying backpack" in a reasonably short time, but Moller never seems to get anywhere with his "car" that he's been plugging for what, 20 years now?  :laugh:

IIRC, they've got video of some crane-tethered hovering in 2003, but nothing I can find since.

Terrafugia on the other hand...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »

Taking regular aircraft and making them accessible is probably the better way to go. I know NASA and the FAA have (in their own bureaucratic and fumbling way) been trying to come up with universal computerized systems for nearly-autonomous flight systems to enable such a mass of aircraft to operate.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »

...is owned by a friend and former classmate of mine :)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
I seem to recall Mythbusters trying to build one, and giving up.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
I can so see myself commuting to work in that.  It would shorten the trip by about a mile by cutting cross country.  And it would enhance my already techno-geek cool rep at work in a major way.
But at a $100k, it won't happen anytime soon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
It's been  .... how long since Sean Connery used one of these in a James Bond film, and they are still trying to ..."perfect" them?  Oh wait, they were used in Lost in Space as well, so atleast we know they're "space age." [tinfoil] :laugh: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
Sweet. I could just fly to the ship every morning. Excellent. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 01:11:24 AM »
it would be more fun than a Chevy Volt!

So would getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

As to the "jet pack", my 2 mile commute would be a breeze.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 02:47:29 AM »
Hope it comes with a ballistic parachute.  At least with a small plane you can glide in if your engine fails.  This thing will drop like a rock
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 06:02:04 AM »
This thing will drop like a rock
100mph post hole digger....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:45:44 PM by Jamie B »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »
a root canal would be more fun than a Chevy Volt. [tinfoil]

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
Wonder how it performs at altitude? Thinner atmosphere, and all. ABQ is nearly a mile above sea level...
Still pretty cool.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »
Wonder how it performs at altitude? Thinner atmosphere, and all. ABQ is nearly a mile above sea level...
Still pretty cool.

I'm guessing, not very well.  I would imagine the 3500ft they took it up to is a pretty good limit.  High/hot conditions for this type of "on the edge of current engineering" direct lift device are going to be really tough.

Also, since the engine isn't turbocharged, it will have a dual-negative...less power available and more power required to produce a given amount of thrust.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »
a root canal would be more fun than a Chevy Volt. [tinfoil]

And with ObamaCare, electric car tax breaks, and GM bailout, taxpayers can pay for both!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
I do wonder if there is some type of low fuel warning.

Like Mabs, what goes up must come down.....

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Does it have a 12 volt outlet for me to plug in my TomTom?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
Does it have a 12 volt outlet for me to plug in my TomTom?

DD

It does, but that costs you 5min of hover time.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
It does, but that costs you 5min of hover time.
True enough, but you will be jamming all the way to the ground!