Author Topic: Parenting Styles/Techniques  (Read 7558 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Parenting Styles/Techniques
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
In one area the WINO I constantly argued about where what could be called parenting "techniques"  there have been a couple threads that got me thinking  and so here are I couple I used that would piss her off to no end.  She thought I was a lousy parent when I would use them, so I'm asking the APS Brain trust (quick someone go check the vault to see if that one cell is still in there  :P) for their opinion.

1) The "I'll laugh at you".  She thought this was simply horrible.  Generally it involved the child telling me their "plan".  I would explain the possible consequences (usually some type potential minor injury, a scrape or cut; perhaps merely wounded pride) along with the admonishment of "If you still decide to do "X", if and when "Y" happens, I will laugh at you.  I'll have to use rubbing alcohol and the Mercurochrome to clean the wound and you know how much that stings and burns and I'll enjoy it."  My wife thought it was horrible that my child could be standing there as a minor trickle of blood would be running down a knee or elbow, I would point, laugh and say I told you so, before going to get the rubbing alcohol, Mercurochrome and band-aids.  However, I have discovered that using this on my son has now dissuaded him from doing things now that will could cause injuries somewhat above and beyond a minor cut or scrape.  Not that I would laugh at him if he ever walked in with a broken bone, but he doesn't know that.(1)

2) "Wanna Bet?"  Over the years, when there has been a slight difference of opinion as to a potential outcome, I have given my kids the chance to prove either themselves or their theory but putting their money where their mouth is. The amount varies depending on their age and their confidence level in their position.  I do expect and demand to get paid off however, my "winnings" are always plowed back to the kids in one form or another at a later date.   I have only lost once. And that was I bet my son $20 that he could not leave the souvenir B-29 we bought at the National Air & Space museum alone and in the box for a month.   He gave it to me and told me to hide it.  I told him "No" and put it, in the box, on a shelf in his room.  He went through hell that month.  The temptation was overpowering, but at the end of the month the box was still taped shut (it hadn't been tampered with, I checked) and I paid off.  It's a very nice toy and he learned the difference between toys you play with and toys you admire as it still sits on his shelf, aka "unplayed with"  (meaning he takes it down and looks at it, but he doesn't take and run through house and outside with it going "Zooooooommmmmmm, pew, pew, pew, pew" as he dive bombs his army men and then crashes it into the ground like he did the very nice P-47 I had got him a couple of years earlier.)   So again, when I look at my son and say "Wanna Bet?  Or "You willing put money on that?"  He really stops and thinks.  Actually he and my daughter stop and say "Never bet against Dad, he always wins except that one time."  Again, he's re-considered his position and it generally causes a change in his course of action.

3) "I know what you're thinking"  I just look at him and say "I wasn't always 46.  I was ten once also.  I know you want to X, Y, and Z.  And if you do X, Y and Z I will do to you what Grandpa did to me, which was A, B, and C.  And if you don't think so, let's call him and he can tell you about it."  And yes, there have been some phone calls where Grandpa tells my son of how he used the Steak and Shake Yard Stick (which he still has and my son has seen) on my backside. My son normally leaves those phone calls looking like  :O :O and there's some comment of  "Grandpa was really mean".  To which I reply "Well, I was really dumb sometimes, learn from my mistakes."  An again, he is dissuaded from that/those course of action.

4) "Your Call" or "Sibling Justice"  Having grown up with 4 brothers and 2 sisters, there was some/a lot of "internal policing" and what I call "sibling justice". Like when I tell my son not to shoot his teenage sister (she's 7 years older) with Nerf Guns or Super Soakers.  "You can, but you'll have to survive the beatdown she'll give you when she catches you."  My wife thought it was horrible when they would fight(2), but as long as closed fists weren't being used and it didn't get out of hand, I would let them settle things between them.  And generally an hour of less later they would be in one or the others rooms playing a cardgame, boardgame, or some such together.  Where as if my wife tired to break them up, generally the matter would not be resolved and issue would continue to fester and boil with more yelling, slamming of doors and just all around unpleasantness for hours or even days.  

(1) Since Jocasse brought it up, I tried one time to explain to the WINO, this bit of dialogue from Band of Brothers, she just looked at me like I had two heads.
CPT Ronald Spiers: What is it?
1SG Carwood Lipton: Nothing.
CPT Spiers: Well, I'd better get back to Battalion before they disappear. You want to ask me, don't you?
1SG Lipton: Ask you what, sir?
CPT Spiers: You want to know if they're true or not... the stories about me. Did you ever notice with stories like that, everyone says they heard it from someone who was there. But then when you ask *that* person, they say *they* heard it from someone who was there. It's nothing new, really. I bet if you went back two thousand years, you'd hear a couple of centurions standing around, yakking about how Tertius lopped off the heads of some Carthaginian prisoners.
1SG Lipton: Well, maybe they kept talking about it because they never heard Tertius deny it.
CPT Spiers: Well, maybe that's because Tertius knew there was some value to the men thinking he was the meanest, toughest son of a bitch in the whole Roman Legion.
[Turns to leave]
1SG Lipton: Sir? These men aren't really concerned about the stories. They're just glad to have you as our CO. They're happy to have a good leader again.
CPT Spiers: Well, from what I've heard, they've always had one. I've been told there's always been one man they could count on. Led them into the Bois Jacques, held them together when they had the crap shelled out of them in the woods. Every day, he kept their spirits up, kept the men focused, gave 'em direction... all the things a good combat leader does. You don't have any idea who I'm talking about, do you?
1SG Lipton: No, sir.
CPT Spiers: Hell, it was you, First Sergeant. Ever since Winters made Battalion, you've been the leader of Easy Company. Oh, and you're not going to be First Sergeant much longer, First Sergeant.
1SG Lipton: Sir?
CPT Spiers: Winters put you in for a battlefield commission, and Sink approved on your behalf. You should get the official notice in a few days. Congratulations, Lieutenant.

(2) It was really more "wrestling" and Robert could surprisingly hold his own most times, when he got caught.  Simply because the chase ended when both were pretty winded and there wasn't much fight left in either.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:12:12 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Parenting Styles/Techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
What works for me:

Be gentle, but extremely firm.
Don't just tell them you love them. Show them.
Expose them to as many possible interests as you can.
Listen to them. Discuss openly what they have said. Don't let them see you rattled when they drop a bombshell. (And they will).

First and foremost: Enjoy parenthood. Embrace it. Yeah, it gets rough, but overall it's incredibly rewarding and worthwhile.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
I thonk your methods fall neatly in the same catagory as my parents. (mom actually gets credit fo this one, too)

You are teaching commen sense and how to make decisions based on actually using ones brain.

Well, except the tourturing siblings thing. In that, you're simply saving yourself the headache of trying to halt the inevetable.

WINO probably would have hated moms method of getting me to cease and disist doing dangerous stuff.
"Elizabeth, do you WANT to go back to the ER!?!?!"
"no, momma."

The reason that worked was after two trips and a total of nine stitches in my face, I had learned. I also learned the hard way not to mess with annoyed dogs. Mom had a real thing for letting me learn from my own mistakes AND convenietly reminding me when I was forgetting those lessons.

And fyi, I didn't return to the ER for injuries till I was 16, although I did go a couple times with ear infections.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
'Course, I'm speaking in generalizations, not specifics.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:09:25 PM by grislyatoms »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
there are two ways to go with this.  
a you are a genius! since the primary qualification is that you think similarly to me
b you are a miserable no good sob cause you think similarly to me

one of the things i take great pride in is hearing that my kids are polite and well behaved

my wife goes nuts when i say to the kids "its important to be polite, it fools people into thinking daddies a good parent"

and she flips when i say to my youngest who used to have hitting tendencies "if you hit cassandra i'm gonna hit you. its gonna hurt and you are gonna cry when it happens.  you have a choice though and it doesn't have to happen. its up to you. no matter what i love you but its my job to teach you how to act and i'm willing to beat you within an inch of your life to make that happen" shes tried it twice i don't hit her as much as i shove her  fast with one hand in her chest take her off her feet while i catch her with the other so she doesn't get hurt other than feelings as i drop her several inches on her tail.  i also warned her that once diapers came off spankings hurt a lot.between the 2 kids they have gotten 5 swats total  oldest hasn't had one in 6 years she got 3 total. ironically youngest shoulda gotten more but skated cause she makes me mad and i'm hands off when angry.  i know i have a history of temper issues and have been trained to govern myself accordingly. i can point my finger at her though and at a chair and she knocks it off and goes to sit if she sees that look on my face. no words needed. i've had women get real huffy about that but its often those same women whose kids i counsel in court
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
What works for me:

Be gentle, but extremely firm.
Don't just tell them you love them. Show them.
Expose them to as many possible interests as you can.
Listen to them. Discuss openly what they have said. Don't let them see you rattled when they drop a bombshell. (And they will).

First and foremost: Enjoy parenthood. Embrace it. Yeah, it gets rough, but overall it's incredibly rewarding and worthwhile.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
a lil veer

A mother passing by her daughter's bedroom was astonished to see the bed was nicely made and everything was picked up. Then she saw an envelope propped up prominentl y on the center of the bed. It was addressed, "Mom." With the worst premonition, she opened the envelope and read the letter with trembling hands: Dear Mom: It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new boyfriend because I wanted to avoid a scene with Dad and you. I've been finding real passion with him and he is so nice-even with all his piercings, tattoos, beard, and his motorcycle clothes. But it's not only the passion Mom, I'm pregnant and he said that we will be very happy. He already owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter. He wants to have many more children with me and that's now one of my dreams too. He taught me that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone and we'll be growing it for us and trading it with his friends for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want. In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for AIDS so he can get better; he sure deserves it!! Don't worry Mom, I'm 15 years old now and I know how to take care of myself. Someday I'm sure we'll be back to visit so you can get to know your grand children. Your daughter, Judith... PS: Mom, none of the above is true. I'm over at the neighbor's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than my report card that's in my desk center drawer. I love you! Call when it is safe for me to come home.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
Excellent. CSD!!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
i lol'd and it goes without saying it was a paste

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:54 PM »
I've always been a proponent of the "barrel method". Put the child in a barrel and feed them through the bung hole. When they turn 18 drive the bung back in.
I think W.C. Fields originated that method.
My wife vetoed it.
She also would not let me use the dog training collars.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »
I've always been a proponent of the "barrel method". Put the child in a barrel and feed them through the bung hole. When they turn 18 drive the bung back in.
I think W.C. Fields originated that method.
My wife vetoed it.
She also would not let me use the dog training collars.

I think that invisible fencing would be great for kids. "Did I not tell you not to play in the street Timmy? That's why, you get shocked!" Apparently Family Services does not approve.

I went through negative conditioning, some too young to remember. Things like dad touching my toddler hand to the stove and telling me hot repeatedly( I used that on my kid, saves worse injuries later.), being fed Skoal at age 6(I have never dipped), etc. He did the de-mystifying thing too, used to give me a little 8oz pony can of Bud with lunch when I was little, I  think it is a valid technique. My kid wanted to taste "Daddy's juice" one day, it may be a few years before she is a straight bourbon fan.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 04:12:16 AM »
"Elizabeth, do you WANT to go back to the ER!?!?!"
"no, momma."

The reason that worked was after two trips and a total of nine stitches in my face, I had learned. I also learned the hard way not to mess with annoyed dogs. Mom had a real thing for letting me learn from my own mistakes AND convenietly reminding me when I was forgetting those lessons.

Phhttt.  Piker.  We'll discuss stich count when hit 3 figures.  :O

I've actually only had to get stiches once when I was 16.  But that was 150-200.  All in my forehead - bone was visable.  Seeing your own arterial spray is not a happy thing.  Plastic surgeon (attending doc at the ER took one look at the wound and refused to touch me) said he quit counting at 50, so I don't know the actual total.  Took 1.5 hours of actual stitching (so not counting prep or cleanup) to put it all back together.
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »
Hey. Nine is a big deal when your four.

And if the fang had gone an inch lower i'd have lost my right eye.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »
Logical consequences work quite well, too, and I use them when I need to.

A couple of examples:

I asked kiddo repeatedly to hang up her coat. "later, I'm busy, I forgot" and all that.
So I took it and hung it in my closet.
Next day... "Dad, where is my coat?"
"Remember yesterday when I asked you to hang it up, and you didn't? Well, you are going to have to bundle up in sweaters and shirts because I'm not letting you have it back until you appreciate it. And I will know when you appreciate it when you take care of it. Part of that is hanging it up."
"But-but-but...."
She hangs it up religiously, now.

Once, when she was 4-5 she threw a temper fit and knocked over the dining chairs. I took hers away, and she had to eat a few meals standing up. "When you show me that you appreciate the furniture, you may have your chair again".

I don't really have to do stuff like that much any more. She is (for the most part) well-behaved and respectful, and is old enough to reason with. I suspect she is also quite wary of some of the consequences I can come up with... >:D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
I am of the opinion that children should be bought from the adoption store when they are 17 1/2 years old.  Six months to get the court work completed, during which you qualify for the adopt-an-older-child bonuses and subsidies; their expenses are all paid by the state; and you qualify for the tax deduction.  At 18 you turn them out wth a copy of the state law stating that children are responsible for the support of their parents.

Repeat every six months.

For some reason the future ex-wife did not agree with that idea and insisted on not only obtaining a child in the old-fashioned manner (something I did not actually object to) but raising it ourselves from the beginning.  I am fairly certain that the experiences involved contributed greatly to the former daughter's status as an only child.

If there's ever a next time (doubtful given my age and temperment) we are doing it my way!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »
Phhttt.  Piker.  We'll discuss stich count when hit 3 figures.  :O

I've actually only had to get stiches once when I was 16.  But that was 150-200.  All in my forehead - bone was visable.  Seeing your own arterial spray is not a happy thing.  Plastic surgeon (attending doc at the ER took one look at the wound and refused to touch me) said he quit counting at 50, so I don't know the actual total.  Took 1.5 hours of actual stitching (so not counting prep or cleanup) to put it all back together.

Sounds familiar. I even had a few in my right eyelid.
Still got a piece of glass and a fleck of paint as souvenirs to go with the scars.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
Hey. Nine is a big deal when your four.

And if the fang had gone an inch lower i'd have lost my right eye.

1/8" lower and I'd have lost my right eye.  Whatever it was I hit my head on impacted more or less at the bottom of my eyebrow and was deflected up tearing open a large flap.  Had it deflected downward instead or just hit that tiny bit lower I wouldn't have to be concerned about ever getting my pilot's license.
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
I WAS FOUR!
 :facepalm:

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
Scout I think a lot of parents that of our generation and want to do the right thing all use these tactics or very similar ones.  I know they were used on me to some extent and I use them on my kiddos.

My Son at times still won't learn and will make bets with SWMBO or myself and seems to lose everytime.  However, money isn't used but usually chores or an activity he wants to do, or video games he has or has lost to other bets.  At times I will walk in the bedroom after work and have to ask if my Son got in trouble or lost another bet because of the games and/or systems that are in the room.

And stupid/not listening to adults who have BTDT should hurt sometimes.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
heretic!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »
Is it a bad thing that I side with Bananaman in the linked article?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
why?  if you found out its his second suspension this year (since the 7th) would that change your opinion? and his third suspension in 12 months? ( 2 10 day one 1 day so far?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
Sounds to me like... me.

Sorry, but running down the football field in a banana costume just doesn't strike me as "lick out of school" material
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
if that was all he did i'd agree.  hes a frequent flyer and in this one incident he disobeyed one admin and knocked another down.  cursed the cop who grabbed him.  he played several cards to get out of consequences but sadly i think its gonna get worse not better