Author Topic: Gas in a diesel jerry can  (Read 3810 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Gas in a diesel jerry can
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »
Stupid 'effing EPA....

Got that out of the way.

Okay, I ordered a couple of used pre-stupid effing EPA ban, sorry..  there I go again...  Sceptre defense 5 gal plastic jerry cans from a guy in ebay for a price I'll just call "lower sellers market" to supplement my stash.  There are some laughable prices out there.  I have one brand new one and the donkey di...  *ahem* pour spout for it.

Small problem, the cans...  sold to me as having been used only for gasoline have a distinct odor of diesel in them.  I know for a fact the can itself is the same for gas or diesel, they sell models that come in the various NATO dictated colors or the OD Green ones like these that you are supposed to mark yourself.  I do not own a single diesel engine.  There is no liquid diesel in the cans at all, just the odor and residue.  Do I need to wash these things out (and if so how..  put in a little gas and rinse?) or should I just say screw it and fill up with gas?

If you want a laugh and then a cry go look these cans up on evil-bay....  for a brand new one some folks are asking $200!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Gas in a diesel jerry can
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
A tiny amount of diesel residue shouldn't hurt anything. Not anymore then what crankcase oil gets past the rings and burned up.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
No liquid?

Just fill with gas.  You'll be fine.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
Yep. Fill 'em up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »
Cool, figured as much.  Thanks guys!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
Putting gas in a a can that once held diesel?

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Either that or nothing at all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 01:17:14 AM »
As it turns out there is a small difference between the cans for gas and diesel.  The gasket is different, if I leave the cans full of gas on their side or something the gasket for diesel will actually expand and can crack the cap of the can.  That would be bad because parts of these cans are purely the secondary market or "smuggled in" from Canada.  One of these days I need to do a road trip anyway.  Hard core smuggler with the EPA banned gas cans!   =D

I just ordered a few gaskets and a couple of spares.  What I ordered are made out of viton instead of the OEM kind that should hold up a lot better.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:24:46 AM by 41magsnub »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
OK.

Since I've managed to get all my cans from military surplus, what is this EPA ban of which you speak?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
OK.

Since I've managed to get all my cans from military surplus, what is this EPA ban of which you speak?

Just pop the cap off and pour gas cans are not sold any more in the US.  You have to have a "safe" dispensing mechanism.

Q:    What governmental regulations apply to the Enviro-Flo and where can I learn more about them?
A:    All portable fuel containers are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the California Air Resource Board (CARB) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in accordance with the Children's Gasoline Burn Prevention Act. You may learn more about the Enviro-Flo at www.enviroflospout.com
Blitz is committed to providing reliable and affordable solutions to transport, store, and dispense fuel and water.  Our fuel containers are tested and approved by TSG laboratories to meet all regulations for portable fuel containers set by the EPA and the California Air Resource Board (CARB.)

Regulatory Information:

NOTICE: Blitz U.S.A. has discontinued the Self-Venting and Spill-Proof lines for sale in the U.S. in accordance with CARB and EPA regulations effective 01/01/09. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. For more information on CARB and EPA compliance, please see our FAQs on "Regulations." You may view our 2009 EPA Certificate of Compliance HERE

NOTICE: Effective 1/17/09, the Consumer Product Safety Information Act of 2008 requires all portable fuel container manufacturers to provide customers and consumers with a certificate of conformity to the requirements of the Gasoline Burn Prevention Act. Please click HERE for a downloadable version of our certificate.

If you look at the products page of Blitz, you will see that the old pop the cap off and pour containers are for international orders only. http://www.blitzusa.com/fuelcanda.htm
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
The other awesome part of it is the plastic fuel cans available for new purchase are all the cheap home depot special thin wall type.  Nobody is selling the really thick military spec style kind even with the godawful CARB compliant features that has don't work for crap.

Blitz still makes a CARB compliant metal can, but it gets fairly universally terrible reviews due to the CARB stuff and badly sealed metal seams.

Edit:  I have one of those "enviroflospout" cans for the lawn mower.  It SUCKS!  It takes 3 hands, 1 to hold the can, 1 to keep the spout where I want it, and another to work the child safety switch thing.

I think we should get somebody to sponsor some legislation that if the civilians can't buy a normal gas can, then neither can the government and military!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:44:09 AM by 41magsnub »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
Neither do the oil companies make those really nice five gallon metal cans with spouts, that they used to sell stuff like hydraulic oil in.   =(

I had one of those for years (free from a guy that I worked for) that I used for chainsaw mix.  It finally rusted out or something...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »
i am always prowling yard sales for jerry cans
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
No *expletive deleted*it?

Huh, look at what I missed.  I have like 10 or 15 5 gal cans that have been retired from .gov service lying around. Guess I'll have to safeguard them more then I have been.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 03:48:49 PM »
No *expletive deleted*?

Huh, look at what I missed.  I have like 10 or 15 5 gal cans that have been retired from .gov service lying around. Guess I'll have to safeguard them more then I have been.

Seriously, go look those up on ebay.   =|

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scepter-Military-Fuel-Gas-Can-MFC-20L-5Gal-Olive-Drab-/130577151401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e670135a9

The above is one of the obscene examples...  mine were used and were much less expensive.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »
No *expletive deleted*?

Huh, look at what I missed.  I have like 10 or 15 5 gal cans that have been retired from .gov service lying around. Guess I'll have to safeguard them more then I have been.

Indeed yes.

I recently rescued an almost perfectly good 5-gallon Eagle brand gas can from the dumpster at the local transfer station. It was supposed to have a flip-top plastic vent, which was missing. A mechanic (sorry -- "etcnician") friend of mine opped one out of an old oil drain pan, and it worked fine. I had a spare nozzle, so I'm good to go and very happy -- I loathe plastic gas "cans."

Are the old style (non-"safety") cans, or replacement parts, still available in canada? If so, I may have to commission some parts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »
I just ordered a few gaskets and a couple of spares.  What I ordered are made out of viton instead of the OEM kind that should hold up a lot better.

Just use styrofoam; it stays nice and soft around gasoline   >:D

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
I drove my M715 in a parade today and decided I wanted to add a little gas before I left the house. I had a 5 gallon jug of fresh non-ethanol on hand. After about 10 seconds of futzing with the EPA nozzle I just unscrewed the lid and dumped it in the filler neck. The filler neck opening on the M715 is better than 3" ID.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
And then there are funnels  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin