Author Topic: Ancient War Machines: How-To and Schematics  (Read 1855 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ancient War Machines: How-To and Schematics
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Ancient War Machines: How-To and Schematics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:34 PM »
Why woould you want to throw a cat  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »

High Velocity Autonomous-Organic-Chainsaw Delivery System.

Just think of the poor sod who peeks over the ramparts just in time to get a face full of furry fury.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
I have wanted to build a trebuchet for years!  That much hardwood is expensive and I'm not ready to sacrifice any of my oak trees.  Maybe a small (1/4 scale) and throw musket balls at the houses out back.

Russ

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »
:facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:47:42 PM »

Are there other uses for cats?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:55:13 PM »
In October of 1390 an author was slightly drunk and inadvertently fell into the basket of a catapult. His drunk companions in trying to get him out accidentally triggered the device sending the author screaming over the wall of the nearby town startling onlookers. This is the first known sighting of a flying Chaucer.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:21:57 AM »
Someone smack Warren for that one
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:40:49 AM »

Think mittens and slippers.  One-half of a set per each.  Plus, when you are through you have Chinese dinners.

stay safe.

PS - I love cats.  Just not with that corn starch based glaze.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »

Well, if you're in Missouri (or APS) you can't swing one without hitting an idiot. But that doesn't mean it isn't fun.

Okay, okay, Ladysmith is going to kill me now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
So, thank you for that. I've been alternating between giggling like a school girl and cackling maniacly for most of the morning.

Never heard of the "Springal". Just awesome. Always wanted a ballista. Think it might be legal for bow season?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
Ok I need to put together a materials list and go through what scrap wood I've got in the garage.................................   

>:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »
So, thank you for that. I've been alternating between giggling like a school girl and cackling maniacly for most of the morning.

Never heard of the "Springal". Just awesome. Always wanted a ballista. Think it might be legal for bow season?

A ballista on a small trailer pulled by an ATV would be great for a ground blind, IMO.

"Yes, game warden, I think it makes minimum draw to be legal for hunting big game."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
Welllll....let me try a few ideas on you:

1.  Back in the 90's there was a shareware program running around that was a skeet shooting game with cats instead of clays (with proper sound effects).  It was damn funny provided you set aside your empathy for a few minutes. 

2.  Maybe you can launch the stray neighborhood cats into the next neighborhood over.

3.  Attach metal claws to their paws and launch them over the wall!  If you can figure out how to get the cat into the basket without causing more damage to your own people, surely you can figure out a way to break its fall on the other end.   :laugh:  I thought about the incendiary bat bombs from WWII, but I'm not sure that would work with cats any more than just jugs of flammables.

4.  If you can make it accurate, maybe you can turn it into an anti-homing pigeon system. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
A guy I used to work with once told me a Boy Scout troop where he lived built and maintained a six foot tall trebuchet (I think 6 feet was the structure height).  They built it then set up procedures for using it including everyone assigned to specific tasks including watching for specific safety problems.  It sounded like a real good educational project. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
Every time Robert and I go to American Science and Surplus we contemplate buying either the Trebuchet or Catapult or maybe a Davinci Catapult.  $20-40 for a catapult or trebuchet.

Once we get to Boy Scouts, I think we can find a Merit Badge for them.  Then we'll have the perfect excuse to build one of each.   =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »
I built a 12 foot tall trebuchet for a high school physics class (6 feet at the axel, with a 9 foot long throwing arm).  Had it worked and not destroyed itself* (which could have been accomplished if I had any welding gear whatsoever, or any tools better than a circular saw, but I digress), it would have been capable of throwing a 5lb object over 100 yards. total cost for the wood was around $120 or so.  As it was, it managed to toss a pumpkin a good 60 feet into the air.

*Protip: a 300 lb counterweight will be able to bend a 3 foot section of 1" solid steel rod into an object resembling a V within three launches. Best way to keep this from happening is to weld or build supports so that the affected span of the axle is less than a foot.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »
1.  Back in the 90's there was a shareware program running around that was a skeet shooting game with cats instead of clays (with proper sound effects).  It was damn funny provided you set aside your empathy for a few minutes.

Ask and you shall receive
http://www.richsalter.btinternet.co.uk/cks2/index.html

I've got a stack of treated lumber too crooked for anything serious, all I need is the time to build a trebuchet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams