Author Topic: Antisocial personality traits predict utilitarian responses to moral dilemmas  (Read 3757 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
"When I left, I joined the army, and when I took the service exam my psych profile fit a certain... moral flexibility would be the only way to describe it... and I was loaned out to a CIA-sponsored program, and we sort of found each other. That's how it works."
----Martin Blank (Grosse Point Blank)

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-antisocial-personality-traits-utilitarian-responses.html

A study conducted by Daniel Bartels, Columbia Business School, Marketing, and David Pizarro, Cornell University, Psychology found that people who endorse actions consistent with an ethic of utilitarianism—the view that what is the morally right thing to do is whatever produces the best overall consequences—tend to possess psychopathic and Machiavellian personality traits.

My first response is, "No shinola, Sherlock."

I suspect utilitarianism is the tactic many functional psychopaths use to remain functional in society.  One doesn't need to have any sympathy for others to know:
1. Expressing lack of any feelings of sympathy generates negative responses.
2. Utilitarianism is the "right" answer to enough folks for it to be considered legitimate.

It also helps describe the controlling, statist mindset.  If the have to kill a few million to achieve revolution, so be it.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
I score extremely high on the psycopathy test.  I have a reputation for being the one to count on to remain calm in a crisis and to be the one to deliver a solution that actually resolves the situation.  Yesm Virginia, there is more than a slight connection between the two.

But this is not at all unusual.  Most folks who run large corporations, or are owners of small one-man shop types of businesses, score high on the psychopathy tests.  So do a lot of folks in other occupations.  Robert Hare has been saying this for years, along with all the other stuff he says about me and the rest of the folks who are true psychopaths.

http://www.hare.org/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199401/charming-psychopath

http://www.amazon.com/Without-Conscience-Disturbing-World-Psychopaths/dp/1572304510

Just because I'm a psychopath does not mean I'm going to kill you.  It does mean that I would not be bothered that much if I did.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
Psychology found that people who endorse actions consistent with an ethic of utilitarianism—the view that what is the morally right thing to do is whatever produces the best overall consequences—tend to possess psychopathic and Machiavellian personality traits.
To me, it seems reasonable to seek the best overall consequences . . . yet there seems to be an implication that there's something wrong with that.   ???

Were any examples or explanations given on the virtues of seeking bad overall consequences?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

My first response is, "No shinola, Sherlock."

I suspect utilitarianism is the tactic many functional psychopaths use to remain functional in society.  One doesn't need to have any sympathy for others to know:
1. Expressing lack of any feelings of sympathy generates negative responses.
2. Utilitarianism is the "right" answer to enough folks for it to be considered legitimate.

It also helps describe the controlling, statist mindset.  If the have to kill a few million to achieve revolution, so be it.

Somewhat.   Lacking empathy does not mean one is necessarily a fool.  One can be a sociopath and still not want to kill millions, or support systems of governance that inevitably will kill millions.   Motives might be different, of course.   I don't see "synthetic" morality as being less valid than morality systems solely absorbed from social norms. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
or support systems of governance that inevitably will kill millions.

I have a congenital lack of empathy, no one has died. However, these folks
or support systems of governance that inevitably will kill millions.
I could certainly help them find the best possible outcome. (for me) won't work well for them.

Guess I need to order up the "Psychopathy, it gets $ht done!" t-shirt.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
It sort of puts the old writer's standby of "every character is the hero of his or her own story" in a new light.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
It sort of puts the old writer's standby of "every character is the hero of his or her own story" in a new light.

Na.  Sometimes, a character is the epic villain of his or her own story.  Villains always get the most hawt sidekick, minion, partner, etc.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ned Hamford

• friend
Na.  Sometimes, a character is the epic villain of his or her own story.  Villains always get the most hawt sidekick, minion, partner, etc.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/10/10_songs_for_supervillains.php

>:D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

grislyatoms

• friends
What would the term be for someone who is quite empathetic to the plight of friends but is admittedly asocial (Not anti-social but just not social?)
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
What would the term be for someone who is quite empathetic to the plight of friends but is admittedly asocial (Not anti-social but just not social?)

Asocial.

Thanks for asking.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend

Me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

I think the labels range from weird loner to jerk.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grislyatoms

• friends
I think the labels range from weird loner to jerk.
I'm certain I have been called worse by better.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Main thing about morality is the authority that creates and "enforces" the moral code....why does one follow a specific moral code?....

Socially withdrawn....'cause I am one, according to the psychological testing that my wife & I took for our adoption application....and, actually, I'm kinda proud of the diagnosis....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams