Author Topic: Getting a title...  (Read 871 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Getting a title...
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:19:21 AM »
So, this might be state specific, (I'm in Indiana), but I have an unusual problem.

I was given a rather nice (but older, needs some minor work) Honda motorcycle by my boss, but it didn't come with a title.  He says that he never had one.  He had never registered the bike, or drove it much on public roads.  So, I want the title!  It kind of helps to register and insure the vehicle.   Does anyone know if there is a process for this?  Anyone here done it?

My boss said that it involved getting records from the BMV in Indy and filing cort records, but I haven't found *anything* online about it.

Help?

Thanks!
-Nick

InfidelSerf

• friend
Getting a title...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:28:28 AM »
You'll just have to file for a duplicate title.  A title search will need to be done.
All the details should be had by wasting half a day on the phone with your local DMV and related state and or county offices.
And then wasting another day or two doing their legwork.

It will be a huge pain in the arse and take an unusual amount of time. (assuming your DMV is as screwed up as KS's)
If you are not far from the state capitol it may be worth it to do everything at the actual offices.
In KS they make you go up and down 5 flights of stairs several times and 3 different buildings. Like I said FUN!

Another option and well worth the price is to just pay a title service to do all the legwork for you.

edit*  try a service like this  http://www.absolutevehicle.com/index.html  I'm sure there are local services as well.

$175 is probably worth the lack of migraines doing it yourself will cause.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Getting a title...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:55:18 AM »
I'm in Indiana.

So the bike has no license plate correct? You can't get the plate in Indiana unless a title was created somewhere.

There are two issues to resolve.

1. Documenting it has never been on public roads, otherwise you owe years of back taxes on it. - you can get a notarized affidavit along with a bill of sale from the seller.

2. Making sure the bike was never reported lost or stolen at some point in its history. - You will need to have the local PD or sheriff come buy and do a VIN number check like when you have an out of state title. Fee is usually around $10.

Take all these documents to the BMV and tell them what you want to do. They can tell you if anything else is required, but I think that's about it.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Getting a title...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:35:47 AM »
As far as I know, I can't get a duplicate title, as I am not the holder of the one original that may, or may not exist in this state.  I went to the BMV, they say I need to get a title search done at the BMV in the state capitol, so I guess that's the next step.  It's in the mail now.  Wonder how long that will take to get processed...?

I'll keep everyone imformed.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Getting a title...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
Title search came back today.  Took over a month.  Apperently they had to search microfilm.

Anyway, I now have my title application sent it, which to me, says it's as good as done.  I have it insured, registered, plated and ready to ride.

YAY!
Smiley

-Nick

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Getting a title...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:43:30 AM »
Great news. That's pretty good only a month. Supposed to be good riding weather in the Hoosier state this weekend. Enjoy.