Author Topic: Eco-cremation  (Read 1857 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Eco-cremation
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/10/10/us/life-us-usa-cremation.html?hp

I cannot recall if we have discussed this already. An alternative to the classic gas-fired cremation.  This process essentially uses a heated lye solution in a pressure cooker to chemically dissolve the body.  Bones and ash are put into an urn, and the liquid is disposed of in the waste water system.

I have also read that some jurisdictions across the country are forbidding this process at the behest of local funeral directors. The reasons given are concerns over biological and chemical safety.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Eco-cremation
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »
I'd still like an old-fashioned wood fueled outdoor pyre  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
I'm going for being cremated, having my ashes pressed into a diamond, then shoved up a politician's ass... just to return the pain.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
A whole bunch of years ago, I read a Readers' Digest article about a method of speed composting bodies into a usable soil nutrient. That sound good to me.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »

Or a Viking funeral...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »
Put me down for a good old-fashined suttee.  =) 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:07:11 AM »
Am I the only one who agrees with George Carlin ??

Detcord !!!!

I want to be blown up !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »

Detcord !!!!

Perhaps not:
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1064858
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:03:31 AM »
Oh, that...

I'm already signed up for this type of funeral service. The resulting slurry is to be put into balloons, and my heirs must hurl them at my enemies, or they're out of the will.
I promise not to duck.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:26:28 AM »
My FIL claims he he'll just go out in the woods when it's his time and let the bears/cougars/coyotes eat his carcass. 

Personally, I'd prefer to be buried.  But I haven't formed enough of an attachement to any one place to know where I'd want to feed the worms.  In the shorter term if I get hit by the beer truck I'll probably just be cremated and then scattered around my favorite hunting and fishing spots and in New Zealand.
Formerly sumpnz

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »

This. If detcord is desired to get the party started, that's good. I'm dead, y'all just have fun. Then head out to sea and when you're out of sight of land, scatter me. And toss a shot of whiskey off the stern in my name.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »
I'm going for being cremated, having my ashes pressed into a diamond, then shoved up a politician's ass... just to return the pain.

As tight as some of those asses might be just shove the ash up there and they will *expletive deleted*it the diamond. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
Now when I die take my saddle from the wall
Put it on my pony, lead him out of his stall
Tie my bones to his back, turn our faces towards the west
And we'll ride the prairie that we love the best

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
I want to be dipped in liquid nitrogen and shattered.

Theoretically, it should be a fairly simple matter to grind up a frozen body to at least a sand-like consistency, dehydrate the resulting goo, and have a small enough mass to fit in a normal-size urn.  Or, for that matter, mix it up with resin or cement and make some tribute to the deceased, coating it with polycarbonate if desired for sanitary reasons.

The liquid nitrogen method would have the advantage of being reusable, with the only waste being vented harmlessly to the atmosphere.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Hmmm...

That guy in Germany who invented the plastination process, it would be pretty cool to have my skin removed, and then leave my skinless plastinated body posed in some sort of aggressive stance to scare the bejezus out of people, like those people who came back from the dead without skin in the Hellraiser movies.

Then, have a nice leather couch nearby for the person to sit down on, except that's made with my hide. And they get told that after they've sat there for a few minutes to freak them out all over again.

Mrs. Dual would never allow it though.  =|

However, when my grandparent's ashes were interned in a crypt last week, I had the idea that a week before I die, I'm going to get my name legally changed to "Electrical Access Panel" so they HAVE to carve that on the cover stone.

Then maybe if I'm lucky, a hundred years in the future, if the cemetary and mausoleum is still standing, some poor electrician will open it up.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
Wouldn't dropping the bodies into an active volcano be the most green?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »

Detcord !!!!

I seem to remember something about a whale and it did not turn out as expected.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
However, when my grandparent's ashes were interned in a crypt last week, I had the idea that a week before I die, I'm going to get my name legally changed to "Electrical Access Panel" so they HAVE to carve that on the cover stone.

I want to do something that will warrant some memorial plaques in various buildings, then change my name to "In Caseof Fire."

Or maybe "Democrat Emergency Exit" if I can ensure that the plaques will be near the roof doors.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
"Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred,
Tan me hide when I'm dead.
So we tanned his hide when he died Clyde,
and that's it hanging on the shed."

;)

Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »
No one has mentioned a wood chipper yet. 

I figured the most environmentally friendly ways would be:  1) buried, 2) take your body to the desert and let it dry out and bleach the bones, 3) compost. 

As for the dissolving, it says to dump the waste into the waste water system.  What sort of cost that add to cleaning up our waste water?  Wouldn't that just contribute to polluting our rivers and oceans?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
That was my first thought too, Mech - most waste water goes into rivers and creeks and as a boater, I'd rather not see that.

I do kind of like KD5's theory on liquid nitrogen though. That would be really cool! Just shatter me!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »

Then maybe if I'm lucky, a hundred years in the future, if the cemetary and mausoleum is still standing, some poor electrician will open it up.  laugh

Win!

I remember in a different thread a long time ago someone mentioned being cremated and then having there ash mixed in with gun powder and having that used to make a bunch of rounds and then being shot.

I do kind of like KD5's theory on liquid nitrogen though.

Made me think of this.  =)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
That was my first thought too, Mech - most waste water goes into rivers and creeks and as a boater, I'd rather not see that.

I do kind of like KD5's theory on liquid nitrogen though. That would be really cool! Just shatter me!
Yeah, but the Liquid N2 would end up the same as the Wood Chipper once it thaws.  Plus, you would need to soak it in Liquid N2 for a while to really freeze the body to the core. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »
Put me down for a good old-fashined suttee.  =) 

This makes me wonder if you actually know what a suttee is?

[popcorn]

On the other hand, your husband will be so honored....'
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
This makes me wonder if you actually know what a suttee is?

[popcorn]

On the other hand, your husband will be so honored....'

I think the American version is completely accidental. The widow, trying to drown her sorrows, gets such a high BAC percentage, she becomes extremely flammable.  =D
I promise not to duck.