Author Topic: NASA’s Hansen made up to $750,000 on the side in 2010  (Read 2587 times)

MechAg94

• friend
NASA’s Hansen made up to $750,000 on the side in 2010
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/44196

Government bureaucrat James Hansen pulled down up to $750,000 last year in speeches and prize money. The American Tradition Institute reported: “As it waits for the resolution of its Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, which seeks the outside employment permission records of global warming activist Dr. James Hansen, American Tradition Institute’s Environmental Law Center has received the belatedly filed 2010 public financial disclosure of the renowned director of the NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.”
Damn those rich oil companies throwing their billions around and polluting science with their agenda!!!!

Wait, maybe I should rephrase that.  =)

I guess this isn't unexpected.  All these guys that get a name for themselves end up commanding some pretty steep speaking fees. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:40:42 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: NASA’s Hansen made up to $750,000 on the side in 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:51:51 AM »
Hansen should have been fired two decades ago.
Formerly sumpnz

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
I can't square what this guy made last year with the ethics training that I have to go through every year.  NASA must have different rules than .mil and DHS.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
Hansen should have been fired two decades ago.

Was that when he started that boy band?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
I guess this isn't unexpected.  All these guys that get a name for themselves end up commanding some pretty steep speaking fees. 

No, not a surprise at all. Or that they get adjunct professorships at well paying universities. The bulk of that came from winning the Blue Planet award from the Asahi Foundation:

"an award presented to individuals or organizations worldwide in recognition of outstanding achievements in scientific research and its application that have helped provide solutions to global environmental problems." - http://www.af-info.or.jp/en/blueplanet/about.html

So, I guess unless someone can point out specifically how it is unethical, I won't lose sleep over it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:24 PM »
So, I guess unless someone can point out specifically how it is unethical, I won't lose sleep over it

Being compensated for holding certain opinions and promoting certain theories while collecting a government paycheck as a purportedly "unbiased" scientist seems unethical.

Ones "science" might not rock the boat or contradict current fashion for fear the cash will stop flowing into ones coffers.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »
Other scientists have always earned money in this fashion, it's suddenly an issue when people don't like the scientist and the science.

I'm far more concerned about government scientists having their reports 'modified' by political advisers to current presidential candidates.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:57:07 AM by Iain »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
Being compensated for holding certain opinions and promoting certain theories while collecting a government paycheck as a purportedly "unbiased" scientist seems unethical.

We need to shut down academia.

All of it.

All.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Other scientists have always earned money in this fashion, it's suddenly an issue when people don't like the scientist and the science.

I'm far more concerned about government scientists having their reports 'modified' by political advisers to current presidential candidates.
It is only an issue in this subject because of what I sort of referenced in the OP.  I have heard numerous people who support AGW reference the funding provided from evil oil companies and such as though the scientists getting funded are beholden and falsifying their research.  This underscores that there is plenty of money out there from other sources in support of AGW not even counting the govt funding.  It is more proof against a pretty foolish argument thrown about by AGW supporters.

As for your second statement, I guess that means you are concerned about anything coming out of a UN organization.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »
But it doesn't t all discount the possibility that energy companies are paying for scientists to have certain views. I'm not saying they are, but Hansen picking up awards and associate professorships, speaking fees etc, doesn't inform on that possibility.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »
It's one thing for a scientist to benefit when a special interest group funds their research.  It's another thing when the "scientist" has the bully pulpit of the government and uses it to drive an "official" scientific orthodoxy that heavilly pressures all the various special interests to align with him and he then benefits from their grants/honoraria/consulting/etc.

Foxes, hen houses, guard duties, some assembly not really required.
Formerly sumpnz