Author Topic: MA Principal Doesn't Like Fall Holidays  (Read 2867 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
MA Principal Doesn't Like Fall Holidays
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: MA Principal Doesn't Like Fall Holidays
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
*expletive deleted*ing moronic idiot principal. They need to take her out and tar n' feather her *expletive deleted*ss.  This damn political correctness has to *expletive deleted*ing stop...it is completely idiotic.  :facepalm:  [ar15]  [ar15]  :mad:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
We have had similar protests regarding Halloween in Western Washington.  The conservative Christians think it endorses the occult and witchcraft.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
We have had similar protests regarding Halloween in Western Washington.  The conservative Christians think it endorses the occult and witchcraft.

This is one of the things that gets me about the story, and I have to at least admit the Principal is an equal opportunity hater.

Locally, here in liberal heaven, we have the opposite of you Millcreek. Halloween is a major event (just like Solstice). Adults get into it more than kids do, and frankly I think a lot of them do it because they figure it pisses off some Christians. On the other hand, Columbus Day is "evil". I actually have a few co-workers that make it a point to work on Columbus Day. All but one of them are younger workers. The one older worker that does it is an ex-college professor. Thanksgiving locally is probably 50/50. A lot of people celebrate "non-traditional" Thanksgiving. I don't know what all that entails besides no turkey, as you would never catch me at such a celebration. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my most favorite holidays. Nothing but good family memories for me. Even if I had to celebrate them alone, they would still put a smile on my face, and no politically correct doctrine will ever change that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »

We also use D&D for the same purpose.  Harmless fun at first.  Next thing you know, the kiddos are worshipping Cthulu
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
Oh, this area still does Halloween, and I buy lots of bags of candy for the kids coming to the door.  It is just that the schools around here no longer allow Halloween celebrations in the classroom on school time.  The local fundamentalist church down the street from me (the one that had the earlier thread about annoying their neighbors with loud music) has a big banner up advertising their 'harvest festival party' on Halloween, as an alternative to the godless/pagan/heathens worshipping the Dark Arts, or whatever.

I cannot for the life of me, however, ever remember hearing any conniptions in this area about Columbus Day.  It was just a regular workday in healthcare for me.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:11 PM »
We also use D&D for the same purpose.  Harmless fun at first.  Next thing you know, the kiddos are worshipping Cthulu

I still have my D&D dice.  If I roll the 12-sided die just so, will the Kraken be released?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a public school administrator. On the one hand, banning Halloween as a Christian religious holiday would be almost as gratifying as ruining another traditional holiday with pointless controversy. On the other hand, it might anger pagans, who, like Muslims, Buddhists, et al, practice a lefty-approved religion. Not sure how I'd handle that one.

Banning Thanksgiving, on the utterly ludicrous theory that it has something to do with Native American suffering or European wrong-doing - that would be an obvious win.

Banning Columbus Day is even easier. Just so long as no one points out that Washington owned slaves and MLK had chicks on the side, and some Veterans have done bad things, as well. Just as long as no one actually thinks about what these holidays are actually meant to celebrate, I'd be good to go.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
Our (private, LCMS Lutheran) school celebrates them all, with gusto.  It is sort of "old school," in that regard.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
I still have my D&D dice.  If I roll the 12-sided die just so, will the Kraken be released?

It takes a D6, D12, and D20 rolled simultaneously resulting in a "natural" six on each one.

And anyone that tries this immediately after reading it is an even bigger nerd than I.  :P (All my D12s are on loan)  :-X
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48:38 AM »
This from the state that possibly had the first Thanksgiving?  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »
Please don't call them "conservative" Christians.  There has to be a better label than that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
Please don't call them "conservative" Christians.  There has to be a better label than that. 

How about "dingbat" Christians?   [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
How about "dingbat" Christians?   [popcorn]

Preach it , Brother!
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »

Every group has its jerks and killjoys.  Even within occult and witchcraft.  Go figure. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
When did principals become dictators, exempt from public oversight even though they are paid by public monies?  When people realize that many educators are at war with the culture that hires and pays them, maybe things will begin to change.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
When did principals become dictators, exempt from public oversight even though they are paid by public monies?  When people realize that many educators are at war with the culture that hires and pays them, maybe things will begin to change.
Probably when school districts get so big that the school board members are not just the guy down the street anymore. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
It takes a D6, D12, and D20 rolled simultaneously resulting in a "natural" six on each one.

And anyone that tries this immediately after reading it is an even bigger nerd than I.  :P (All my D12s are on loan)  :-X

Roll a D6
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »
Hilarious.  Looks like something that could have been done by the Guild.

roo_ster

• friend
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton