Author Topic: OWS Now Using Robin Hood as Mascot  (Read 5726 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
OWS Now Using Robin Hood as Mascot
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
It truly cracks me up that progressives always do this with the Robin Hood Analogy. Robin Hood is all about small government, low taxes. The Robin Hood "rich" is the government.

[Homer] You couldn’t be more wrong, Lisa. If I didn’t have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here anytime he wants and start shoving you around. [/Homer]

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/10/19/occupiers-new-mascot-anti-tax-crusader-robin-hood/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: OWS Now Using Robin Hood as Mascot
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
IIRC, from Robin Hood, the Sheriff was corrupt, too.  Taxing the snot out of the people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
Ayn Rand.

Once more before her time:

Ragnar Danneskjold: "But I’ve chosen a special mission of my own. I’m after a man whom I want to destroy. He died many centuries ago, but until the last trace of him is wiped out of men’s minds, we will not have a decent world to live in."

Hank Rearden: "What man?"

Ragnar: "Robin Hood."

http://thatsawesome.blogspot.com/2004/10/robin-hood-is-evil.html
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
I think Rand is wrong here. I know there are various iterations of the Robin Hood legend, but in most every one I'm familiar with, the government (via the Sheriff) takes most everything from the producers via taxes. Robin Hood is simply giving a tax refund.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Yep.  Back in those days "the rich" were the kings, princes, lords, etc.  They formed the national and local goverments, and had the power to levy taxes as well as dispense legal judgements.  Robin Hood "stealing" from "the rich" back then would be akin to taking money from the IRS and giving it back to the taxpayers.  Except that for all our complaining about taxes we still pay far, far less as a proportion than medievil Britons were subject to.
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
Yep.  Back in those days "the rich" were the kings, princes, lords, etc.  They formed the national and local goverments, and had the power to levy taxes as well as dispense legal judgements.  Robin Hood "stealing" from "the rich" back then would be akin to taking money from the IRS and giving it back to the taxpayers.  Except that for all our complaining about taxes we still pay far, far less as a proportion than medievil Britons were subject to.
I recall reading somewhere that the tax rate back then was only 30% . . . and you only had the landholder (baron, duke, whatever) collecting from you.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
Yep.  Back in those days "the rich" were the kings, princes, lords, etc.  They formed the national and local goverments, and had the power to levy taxes as well as dispense legal judgements.  Robin Hood "stealing" from "the rich" back then would be akin to taking money from the IRS and giving it back to the taxpayers.  Except that for all our complaining about taxes we still pay far, far less as a proportion than medievil Britons were subject to.

The tax rate was not the problem. You can't tax people who are barely above subsistence very much.

The problem was a lack of freedom and governmental control of property. (Which is, of course, part of the lack of freedom.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »
I recall reading somewhere that the tax rate back then was only 30% . . . and you only had the landholder (baron, duke, whatever) collecting from you.

I thought there were some mandatory contributions to the church, too, but I'm not sure about that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
I thought there were some mandatory contributions to the church, too, but I'm not sure about that.

Only if you wanted to go to heaven  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:57:32 AM »

10% before tax, and they would also expect you to pay for crusades, when the Pope needed a new hat, and numerous other things.  Nor did they die out with the Reformation - there were tithe riots in my little area of Wales within living memory (the farmers resented paying a tithe to a church that noone belonged to... though the 1880s were when things were really fierce):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/sites/history/pages/tithe.shtml

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
I don't know if they did it like I have heard a lot of old Catholic areas did.  I assume so.  Everything you did at the Church came at a price.  Marriage, Christening, baptism, etc all required a donation to the Church.  I think that if nothing else is where a lot of the stuff comes from saying you have to do those ceremonies to be saved. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
Can we call the OWS people Owwies?  That's what they sound like, "Owwie, my pu**y hurts."

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »
10% before tax, and they would also expect you to pay for crusades, when the Pope needed a new hat, and numerous other things.  Nor did they die out with the Reformation

I don't know about your side of the pond, but it seems many Americans think that the Reformation saw an end to religious war or established churches, or something. Even Oxford grads like Dr. Richard Land.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 03:03:52 AM »
He is held to be the first man who assumed a halo of virtue by practicing charity with wealth which he did not own, by giving away goods which he had not produced, by making others pay for the luxury of his pity. He is the man who became a symbol of the idea that need, not achievement, is the source of rights, that we don’t have to produce, only to want, that the earned does not belong to us, but the unearned does.
THAT's the Robin Hood who's the enemy. That's also the Robin Hood the OWieS idolize.

But really, Robin Hood was taking from armed robbers and giving back to rightful owners. The fact that the robbers were rich and their victims poor isn't really relevant to the moral of the story.
D. R. ZINN

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
A much better choice would have been Zorro, the Gay Blade!

Probably could still get George Hamilton for their spokesman!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:20 AM »
Speaking of the Left Wing and Robin Hood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACR2RUOPIg

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
I think Rand is wrong here. I know there are various iterations of the Robin Hood legend, but in most every one I'm familiar with, the government (via the Sheriff) takes most everything from the producers via taxes. Robin Hood is simply giving a tax refund.

I agree. Robin Hood was anti-tyrannical govt and fought against a corrupt nobility. He would have seen the OWS people as useful idiots and wouldn't have hesitated sticking any one of them with an arrow given a good enough excuse.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.