Author Topic: One large humidor or multiple smaller humidors?  (Read 1502 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
One large humidor or multiple smaller humidors?
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
I've been using a tupperdor for awhile now. Lately, I've been expanding my cigarsenal and find myself pushing 100 cigars at this time. Clearly, I need to upgrade to a humidor or humidors.

I've got a couple mazo's, several samplers, and a stack of singles that I need to look after. I originally figured I'd get a 200-300 count humidor, but have lately found myself wondering if I should separate by brands, types, strengths, sizes, blenders, or some combination thereof. Maybe I should get some 50 count humidors, or even a group of 20-30 count humidors.

How do you store your cigars? Do you have a particular system?

I feel like I'm over-thinking this but I'm fairly new to it all.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: One large humidor or multiple smaller humidors?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:47:27 AM »
I'm not into cigars but the adage about all your eggs in one basket comes to mind.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
Spend your money on humidification and its control and not on cabinetry.  Pay attention to good air flow through the humidor.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
And go look at how a decent cigar shop handles it.  Ask them questions about how much "blending" you will get if your stogies are all mashed together.

Back when I did burn rope I kept mine separated, but that was a bit of ostentation.  Real-world care and handling may not require such.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »
RKL:
All the humidors would be on the same table, if that counts.  =D

WO:
Good advice. I've pretty much settled on what I'd get for a large humidor. Looking at the Evanston Dome humidor. 250 count. Two trays made of Spanish cedar, and the bottom has a Spanish cedar "aerator" lining. After seasoning and a couple of weeks of tweaking it should practically run itself.

Haven't really settled on humidification method yet.

http://www.humidorvault.com/The-Treasure-Dome-250ct-Cigar-Humidor-p/hum-200dl.htm

VASM:
I'd really like to get into a decent cigar shop, but the closest one is 3 hours away. I might be able to make the trip in Nov. Luckily there are some internet resources where I can get good answers. Cigar.com has been very willing to answer questions, and I recall we have more than a few cigar smokers here on APS.

I'm really only concerned about keeping maduro, Connecticut, habano, etc all stored together. I already know I'll definitely need a smaller humidor to keep the infused cigars out of the main collection.

Displaying them for guests isn't a concern right now in a small apartment and really only one friend who shares interest in fine cigars. I would however, like something that blends in better with furniture and that I can take a less active role in maintaining.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:25 AM »
Since you are going all in on cigars, I assume you've visited jrcigars.com
It is a freakin' wonderment.  If they don't have, you really didn't need it!
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
Oh yeah. Doing business with:

cigar.com
elitecigars.com
jrcigars.com
neptunecigar.com

Recommend all of them. Between them, the deals are basically limitless.

Right now I'm searching for an everyday cigar. Search currently includes
Arganese, maduro, mazo/20
Cusano MC, Connecticut, mazo/20
Flor de Oliva, maduro, mazo/20
Gran Habano Vintage '02, habano, mazo/20
+
AJ Fernandez All-Star Corona Sampler pack of 8 that includes one each of
Ave Maria, habano
La Herencia Cubana, Sumatra
La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte, maduro
Diesel, maduro
Diesel Unlimited, ligero
Man O' War, habano
Man O' War Ruination, habano
Man O' War Virtue, Connecticut
+
Evanston Dome Humidor

for a grand total of $346.70 + free shipping. For 80 premium cigars, the AJ Fernandez sampler, and a Cigar Aficionado approved humidor? After this, I'm set well into winter, if not longer.

All I need is some beer to pair with it. Some Allagash, Dogfish, and Stone preferably. We'll see what I can swing after my cigar/humidor purchase.

Bills are piling up fast this time of year.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
A good single malt Scotch also will work well with a cigar. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MrGreenmachine

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »
+1 on the single malt!  If you dont care about looks and are going for quantity, look at a cooler with a good sealing lid for your humidor.  Works really well.  Humidification is the key.  I strongly suggest either heartfelt beads or the boveda humidification packs.  I personally use the beads and they work great.  I keep an eye on them and recharge every other month or so with distilled water.  Keep a hygrometer in there and you should see a steady humidity level once equilibrium is reached with all your new sticks!  Your list is AJ Fernandez heavy but that guy really knows how to blend a good cigar!   For an everyday stick my vote goes to the Flor de Oliva Maduro, for the price it cant be beat.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »
Two words (three? does a hyphenated word count as one or two?)

Walk-in Humidor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
Two words (three? does a hyphenated word count as one or two?)

Walk-in Humidor.

Three more words. Lots 'o $$$$!
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!