Author Topic: Motorcycle Gear  (Read 3711 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Motorcycle Gear
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:58:22 AM »
So I know quite a few people on this board ride.  I'm just getting into motorcycling (I take the ABATE Indiana course in a few weeks Smiley )

I need protective gear.  I'm looking at getting a full-face helmet, a good, protective summer jacket, gloves, and maybe chaps.  What would you recommend?  I'm looking for brand recommendations as well as good places to buy, online or otherwise.  The helmet (and maybe gloves) I'm probably going to try to buy locally, so I can make sure it fits alright.

Price isn't a huge concern, I rather value myself - good gear is worth the money; but, I am after all a poor college student.  I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

Cheesy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »
"...I am after all a poor college student."

In that case, you might want to check Ebay or motorcycle forums for good used gear.

There's dozens of good helmets out there. Get one that's Snell approved. If you're thinking about a full-face helmet, try one on and spend some time with it on. I didn't realize I was claustrophobic until I did so.

For summer riding, there's a lot of Gortex suits out there that are breathable. As far as brands go, Hein Gerke is one of the most popular.

Get yourself a good stiff pair of leather boots that will cover your ankles, or higher. If you should wind up with your bike laying on you, and the hot pipes against your leg, you'll thank your boots. There's been a couple of times when I would have needed skin graft surgery if not for a good pair of boots.

I've always wanted a pair of chaps, but never bought them. They do cut down on wind penetration, but they're not insulated. I suspect a lot of HD riders wear them just for style.

For gloves, I just go with thin gauntlet-style that cover the sleeves of my jacket. Other riders like gloves with more padding in the knuckle areas.

Take the above advice with a grain of salt, though. When the weather gets into the 80's, any protective gear I have stays at home.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. But I'm a free idiot.

DrAmazon

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »
I have a Schulberth Concept helmet, it's full face, hinged chin piece, with a sunglass insert integral to the helmet (I love that part).  It was pricey, but my head is full of overeducation that was kind of expensive to get.

For boots, I wear some RedWing work type boots because that is what I could find that fit.  They lace up, but have the zippers on the side.

I got carried away on the suit and gloves and bought Kevlar jacket and pants and leather full hand gloves from BMW.  Jacket and pants have "armor" down the back, elbows and knees.  I wasn't intending to get a BMW suit, but it was truly the one that fit the best through my body and didn't ride up too much in the ankles and wrists when I'm sitting on the bike  (I'm really glad the saleswoman pointed that out to me or I wouldn't have thought of it).  My pants are side zip and intended to go over your regular pants.  They work great over my dress pants when I ride to work.  The whole getup is comfortable from about 40 °F to 70°F.  Above 70 it gets a bit steamy when I'm not moving (it gets very sweaty under the armor on my back) and I tend to just ride in jeans if I'm putting about town.

Finally, I have a bright yellow roadworkers vest that I wear almost all the time, and especially wear at dusk/night.  

I do need some summer weight pants or some motorcycle jeans, so I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else says.  Come to think of it, I've seen motorcycle gear on Sportsmans Guide.
Experiment with a chemist!

BozemanMT

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »
Finally, something I know about

helmet:  Shoei or Arai, whichever your head fits.  Do not buy a used helmet.  A plain one should be between 200 and 300 dollars.  Lighter means less strain on your head and better helmets are quieter too.  Also, wear earplugs!!!!  you won't believe what a difference this makes in how tired you get.

Boots:  daytona boots, best, most comfortable, etc.  Check www.helimot.com  Because they are made in germany they have gotten expensive as the dollar has dived.  worth every penny.  I put 50,000 miles on a pair.

Gloves:  buy good gloves.  I like Held's, but not as much as I used to when they were made in Germany.  See what Helimot is carrying now.

Jacket/pants:  www.riderwearhouse.com  Get the aerostich.  Sure, it's expensive, but you'll end up there anyway and have spent 100's of dollars on cheap crappy copies.  Buy the 'stich.

Good gear lasts for years, way past one or two motorcycles.

Comfortable gear means you wear it and you want to wear it.  The ground doesn't get soft just because it's hot or cold out.

jeans are worthless.  (proof, go fall down while walking, notice that you just skinned your knee.  now go do 60mph and fall down)
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »
I've worn a standard helmet with face shield for years and years but lately I've had the urge to switch to a full face helmet.

Unfortunately I cannot find one that will fit over my glasses and I can't put my glasses on if I take them off first and put on the helmet.

Are there any full face helmets out there that can be worn with eye glasses?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

TarpleyG

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
Always had good luck with Simpson helmets...they fit me well anyway.  I had Shoei, Aria, Bieffe and preferred the Simpsons.

Greg

BillBlank

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 09:51:57 PM »
Shoei lids, cheaper than arai and they fit odd shaped heads. After my z1 is on shades fit inside easily. I know that culturally you guys tend towards open face so well done for going the full face route. Better a trashed chin bar than your face Smiley.

Sidi boots if you're on a budget.

Chaps? Why bother? Makes you hot without the protection. Second hand two peice leathers would be my choice on a budget.

My snowboarding gear fits over my leathers so I have no experience of motorcycle fabric gear.

Gloves, dunno really apart from avoid Frank Thomas. I had two pairs, neither of which performed well in sub 30 mph slides. A £90 pair of gloves should not be left in shreds after that! Especially not the replacement pair you get from the manufacturer after whining the first time it happened.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

BozemanMT

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 03:14:47 AM »
Quote from: Werewolf
I've worn a standard helmet with face shield for years and years but lately I've had the urge to switch to a full face helmet.

Unfortunately I cannot find one that will fit over my glasses and I can't put my glasses on if I take them off first and put on the helmet.

Are there any full face helmets out there that can be worn with eye glasses?
Nope, that's the way to do it.  I wear glasses and that's how i did it, even when riding 20k miles a year.  It's not a big deal after you get used to it. You will, at least once a year, forget to take off your glasses and then put on your helmet, that hurts.  But you only do that once. :-)

There are also flip up helmets (i want to say BMW has them and someone else), but these in a crash are only 3/4 helmets.  As much money as I spent on my teeth at the dentist, I wanted a chinbar.

Your choice.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 08:36:56 AM »
How to  protect the poor college student on a budget.

Helmet: Try the Scorpian EXO-400 helmet. (heres a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/ ). The helmet runs les than $150, it is comfortable with excellent padding, removable liners, and easily changed shield, and DOT / SNELL ratings. This is the helmet that I wear on a daily basis and it has held up quite well. When it comes to helmets there is a point where you start to pay more for comfort rather than protection. The EXO-400 provides as much protection as any other SNELL/DOT helmet and provides much more comfort than other bargain helmets. There is also the EXO-700, the difference is simply that the 700 is lighter and maybe prettier.

I cant help much with a summer jacket, I wear a leather jacket year-round, which is possible (if not always comfortable) in Seattle. I do wear an Alpinestars leather jacket, and i have been *very* pleased with it. So if your looking for leather you might try them.

Dont wear chaps. I think they are pointless. They are hot and uncomfortable and provide minimal protection in places where protection is most needed. You get no padding at the joints, and no abrasion protection to your butt, which is a common location for injury. Besides, they would look amazingly goofy with a fullface helmet and a mesh jacket. Instead you might want to check out the HT Overpants, made by firstgear. THey offer the same functionality as chaps (full length zippers on both legs) have full coverage, padding, are waterproof, and have a thermal liner for cold days. There is also a mesh version of these pants available for really hot weather.

As far as boots I wear a pair of Oxtar Jupiter boots. They are a "compromise" boot that has the appearance of a regular lace-up boot with some of the protection of a motorcycle boot. They are waterproof and comfortable after a whole day of walking. I like them because I can wear them at work without having to change. But they do not provide the level of protection from a full-on racing type boot.

For good prices on quality gear, excellent customer service, and no-nonsense descriptions, I cannot recomend www.newenough.com enough. They are seriously the best internet seller of ANY KIND that I have ever dealt with, and it so happens that they sell quality motorcycle gear and have some of the best closeout prices around.

cordex

• Administrator
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 09:26:38 AM »
Others have given you better advice than I could on the equipment, but if you see Scrounge or Tippy at your ABATE class, tell them that a former student of theirs says hello.

Strings

Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 12:08:57 AM »
>Are there any full face helmets out there that can be worn with eye glasses?<

Some of the flip-face helmets ARE sturdy enough, even in a crash. The instructor's at MSF were VERY impressed with my Schuberth (the Concept). However, like Dick, I tend to get claustrophobic in a helmet (unless it's cold, then I don't notice it as much)...

Chaps cut the wind a bit, and a strudy pair cuts down on impact of small debris (stones, rocks, junebugs). However, chaps ain't much protection when you're sliding down the road. Check out www.dragginjeans.com" target="_blank">Draggin Jeans. They're reinforced denim, and tested by dragging the designer down the road on his butt...

Boots: I know others don't go to the same extreme, but I wear an old pair of Sidi Full Bore motorcross boots. Was wearing a pair of regular riding boots two years ago, and got my foot caught between the peg and a curb while leaving a gass station. The 'cross boots offer MUCH more in the way of ankle support...

Morgan

Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 12:08:59 AM »
As a former racer, I can vouch for Held/Helimot gloves and Daytona boots.  The best boots are nearly $1k (the ones with the articulated inner boot), and worth every penny when you go down, but good ones can be had for much less.  Alpinestars are good, too.

Chaps are damn near worthless.

I used and liked Shoei helmets.

Used is fine for any gear EXCEPT helmets.

Smith

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 04:07:08 AM »
c_yeager said a lot.

Get a good helmet, but I'd urge you to review the latest motorcyclist helmet test data before you buy.  That said, ALL of the brands they tested were better than any of the ones from just a few years ago.  I wound up a Scorpion EXO-700 this time, after I had a Shoei RF-1000.  The Shoei fogged badly but this Scorpion doesn't at all.  Find one that fits really well, take your time.

On gear, I assume by the chaps reference you are going to buy a cruiser (Harley style bike)?  Well, it doesn't matter what bike you ride when you have a get-off...your body is tumbling on the ground at that point.  Might as well have good gear and not a fashion statement.  I wear Firstgear HT Air overpants and either a Joe Rocket Rio jacket or a Firstgear Speed jacket.  I put supplemental armor in all three.  I have several pairs of Hein Gericke and Firstgear gloves.

You just can't skimp on good gear.  Consider a crash inevitible and plan for it.  Have armor in everything, protect your joints, and ride defensively.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 05:51:22 AM »
As stated above NEVER buy or consider a used helmet. They are a one time use item.  And NEVER EVER let a girlfriend or anyone else hold or handle your helmet.  If it's dropped consider it retired.

I'm a diehard Arai fan. They are expensive. But when it comes your head...spend as much as you think it's worth.
Just make sure it's a Snell approved and not just DOT.  Fit is everything.  A $100 HJC is great if it fits and that means you wear it 100% of the time.  

Another bit of advice...  Don't bother spending one dime on any safety equipment if your not willing to wear it 100% of the time you ride.  I don't care if it's 150degrees out.  If you are going to ride.. then plan on sweating. A pint of sweat is much more tollerable than a pound of flesh. I speak with lots of experience in that department.

Gloves I put up there with helmets as next in line of importance.  Research them and make sure they have been field tested.  I LOVE Held gloves or Helimot's both are pricey.  But once again.. spend as much as you think you and the potencial pain are worth.  I wouldn't spend less than $60 on a pair of gloves.  Stud's aren't neccessary and if you do buy a glove with metal studs.. make sure they are high quality gloves (studs in cheap gloves will just rip out or worse.. grand into your palm).  Most highend gloves discarded the studs in favor of tougher layers of material.

The rest... eyeprotection, jacket, boots and pants. I would just go with what fits and feels good as well as looks good.
Check out Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology issues. They have a lot of great gear tests.

A pair of jeans can be fine, however I do suggest checking out Draggin Jeans
Or even better Aerostich Kushitani or Zcustom

As I mentioned you want to buy things that are comfortable and will encourage you to wear them 100% of your ride time.
The one day you say it's gorgeous out and a tshirt is fine...you'll regret it later.

One last bit of advice... be pickey with who you ride with. I'm serious   There are TONS of squids out there and they all think they are Wayne Rainey...oddly enough most ride, like they want to be Wayne of today,not the Wayne in 1993 prior to Milano.Italy.
I have seen several good riders be taken out by a squid that lost control of their steed while riding in a group.

Above all, have fun.  You will be hooked for life.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

InfidelSerf

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 06:24:10 AM »
Oh and just a side note to derail any legal debates over safety equipment.  While I advicate, and practice 100% usage.
I am however against the state dictating those terms to me. (that includes helmet laws, distraction laws, and seatbelt laws)

I think only a complete *self stated* idiot would consider their comfort over the pain, both physical and financial, of an accident.
I have been that idiot much too often in my youth. Thus the reason I suggest you follow the true bike racing fans, that choose to emulate their passion by wearing full leather and full helmets.  While there isn't any clinical data to support my assumption. I'd be willing to bet that most riders who wear full coverage of somekind, tend to be more skilled and attentive riders.
Flame away
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »
no flame from me, I spent years riding hundreds of miles a day as a motorcycle
courier.
It's been a whole year since I had a bike though, I am really enjoying
the protection my pick up truck affords me as well as the radio.

but as soon as i can it's back on the bike.

I like those dirt bike boots that go up over the shin, and my gloves were
kangaroo skin with kevlar. worth every penny.
I use full face helmet and plus one on ear plugs.

Armor chest and back, I like those mesh jackets for summer time but make sure they got armor.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CatsDieNow

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 04:18:43 AM »
I'll second Newenough.com (great pictures and customer service!), but they are a closeout shop and if they don't have what you are looking for, Kneedraggers.com will.  I always wear riding gear, even here in the Texas summer.  If you are going more than 40mph, the air will flow, and you will be fine.  (It gets a little warm at traffic lights, though).  Avoid buying black gear, if you can, for both visibility and solar heating reasons.

I wear glasses under my FF helemet without a problem.  Make sure it fits properly - this means you shouldn't be able to rotate it around your head at all, and if you grab the chin bar and pull, it shouldn't slide up and down easily, except with your scalp.  The cheek pads should almost hurt.  It will break in and be comfortable after a few weeks.   Different brands fit differently, so you may have the cheaper one fit better.  Me, I apparently have a funny-shaped head, and only the (expensive) Arai fit correctly.  I did my helmet shopping at a motorcycle show, so I had lots of choices.

As far as brands go,  just avoid Icon (all style, no substance) and the cheaper Joe Rocket stuff.  I am a fan of Alpinestars and Firstgear.  Oxtar and Sidi make good boots.  Boots become rather important when you get your foot stuck under the exhaust pipe on a crash (as a friend of mine found out) - get decent boots.

Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 09:55:34 AM »
As far as brands go,  just avoid Icon (all style, no substance) and the cheaper Joe Rocket stuff.  I am a fan of Alpinestars and Firstgear.  Oxtar and Sidi make good boots.  Boots become rather important when you get your foot stuck under the exhaust pipe on a crash (as a friend of mine found out) - get decent boots.
+1 on the Icon stuff. I dont normally like to diss a brand on styling issues, but CDN is corrent. The styling comes at the expense of actual quality of the gear. The sad part is that I purchased a pair of *very* sedate pair of all black Icon gloves and even though they were very cheap they were of unexpectedly bad quality (stiching seperation under normal riding conditions). Even their non-bling equipment is poorly made. I wont be buying anything with the Icon name at any price in the forseeable future.

Also, you might want to check out the "set-up" brand of boots. They are available from newenough as well as http://www.motonation.com/ , which is a Sidi distributer. They appear to be an economy boot produced by the Sidi factory, they seem to have the same quality with fewer "extra" features (mostly comfort and appearance related), newenough has a pretty good write up on them.

I also wear sunglasses under my helmet. I work midshifts and its sunny when I go to work and dark when i go home, so its impracticle to wear a smoked shield. Just make sure to bring your helmet with you when you try on frames, you dont want the ear pieces to get pressed into any sensitive parts of your head or your going to end up with headaches while you ride. It is certainly do-able, although some people simply hate it, so try it out first.

Here is neat little helmet fitment guide from the scorpian website, http://www.scorpionusa.com/fitment.html . DO NOT buy a helmet online, even with a sizing chart because peoples heads vary in more than one dimension and just because you fit somewhere on the chart doesnt mean that a particular helmet will fit you properly. This is the one-piece of gear that I always buy in person. If you are really cheap and feel like being a bit of a jerk, you can find a fitting helmet in a shop and then order it online, in the name of decency I advise you not to do this because I think its pretty low.

I dont personally think that jeans offer much of any protection. When I was a kid I blew the stiching on a multiple pairs during low-speed bicycle crashes, there is no way they are going to hold up in any kind of motorcycle crash. With that said I do still wear the sometimes, just with the knowledge that I am gonna get hurt if I crash, its a perfectly valid choice just be aware of the repurcussions (sp).

One last bit of advice... be pickey with who you ride with. I'm serious   There are TONS of squids out there and they all think they are Wayne Rainey...oddly enough most ride, like they want to be Wayne of today,not the Wayne in 1993 prior to Milano.Italy.
I have seen several good riders be taken out by a squid that lost control of their steed while riding in a group.
VERY good advice. Its not just the out-of-control squids that you need to worry about. You also need to be wary of riding with very skilled riders who dont take your lack of experience into account. Rider-ability is the determining factor in the performance of any paring of man and machine. A rider who is even sitting in an identical machine to your own can enter a corner at a speed that you may not be able to handle, so be carefull of who you ride with and always "ride your own ride" rather than the group's if you feel like your getting in over your head. A good tip for finding a good group is this: a novice should *always* ride near the front of a group, you should be placed in the number two position if there are more than two riders, if you are with one other person you should be in front. If the group places you in the back it means they either dont know what they are doing, or plan on riding beyond the abilities of a novice, either way your not going to want to ride with them. Personally, I would strongly recomend against riding with a group for awhile because it does add a level of complexity to an already steep learning curve. The right riding partner *can* help you to improve more quickly, but the wrong partner can get you killed, and there is little means of telling the two apart untill one or the other event happens.

One of the best pieces of safety equipment you can get is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. The best way to survive a crash is not to have it. After you have completed the MSF course and have a machine to practice on this book can take a lot of mystery out of riding and provide some techniques to help you deal with the unexpected. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is the assumption that riding is a factor of "instinct" and this is simply not true. Yes, your instincts will allow you to sedatly move a bike from point A to point B, and if nothing unexpected happens and you make no poor choices you will *probably* be OK. The skills that help you to deal with everything else are learned behavior and without them your an accident waiting for a place to happen.

On a side note: The ABATE class should be fully compatable with the MSF class. I do have some problems with ABATE regarding their stance on helmets. I *DO* agree with them about helmet laws, legislating intelligence is pointless. However, they do take some tips from the anti-gun lobby and like to make up information about the "dangers" of wearing a helmet (yeah you heard that right), so if you get any of that, you might want to verify it from an independant source before accepting it as gospel. I have heard various nonsense from oxygen starvation to broken necks to lack of visibility, all of which is complete B.S. to anyone that knows what they are talking about, and it pisses me off that they are actually lying to people who dont know any better. So keep that in mind.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Motorcycle Gear
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 07:20:27 AM »
I do have some problems with ABATE regarding their stance on helmets. I *DO* agree with them about helmet laws, legislating intelligence is pointless. However, they do take some tips from the anti-gun lobby and like to make up information about the "dangers" of wearing a helmet (yeah you heard that right)
+1

I did extensive research on this years back in HS, when I was a YDAFO.. 16yo with a new 600cc sportbike.
It was the typical government class write a bill assignment. I chose to write a mandatory helmet law.  My findings were compelling and I passed it with little resistance.  
(*personal note..with a nurse for a mother I had to choose to be pro helmet from day1 if I wanted to get the bike in the first place.  I personally think my interest in roadracing is another motivating factor in wearing them. Nevermind the obvious fact that it makes plain common sense.)

Some of the anti helmet claims were ridiculous. For example the claim that it could wrench your neck causing serious neck and spinal injuries. By acting as a lever.  You would prefer your ears or forehead, or jaw instead??

The reduction in hearing ability was flat out hilarious.  These people tried to throw together a bunch of hogwash claims from bikers, that had they been wearing a helmet they would not have been able to hear the oncoming threat or some such BS, and claim it as a study.
Now I have riden both ways.. EVERYONE knows you can't hear a damn thing when your ripping down the road at 30MPH+ the wind noise is enough to cause permanent hearing damage.. and it does. Put a set of ear plugs on & or slap a helmet on and amazing.. you can hear everything except the high pitched wind screaming by your ears. *depending on your exhaust note*

I have personally tested a dozen or so helmets in realtime, about half on the dirt and half on the road.  
TRUST ME a fullface helmet is your best friend.  Right after your brain.
You can try to show me study after study of "neck injuries" caused by helmets but I call BS.  
I wouldn't have  the follow if it wasn't for a full faced helmet.
Right ear
Right eyebrow
Left eyebrow
most of my nose
A good portion of the lower left jaw
you get the picture...

after all that and even after flying over the hood of a dodge Stratus and summersaulting 100ft I've NEVER had a neck injury in a motorcycle wreck.
If anything it acts as a brace to stabilise your head and neck.

And road rash is just a fancy word for Second and Third degree burns, scars for life and IMMENSE pain for weeks to months following the fall on a poor safety gear choice day.

Don't forget to have fun Smiley