Author Topic: Now what? TSA Interstate checkpoints  (Read 4955 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Now what? TSA Interstate checkpoints
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15725035/officials-claim-tennessee-becomes-first-state-to-deploy-vipr-statewide

What can we do to make sure this stops?

"Where is a terrorist more apt to be found? Not these days on an airplane more likely on the interstate," said Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security Commissioner Bill Gibbons.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Now what? TSA Interstate checkpoints
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15725035/officials-claim-tennessee-becomes-first-state-to-deploy-vipr-statewide

Hm.  I STRONGLY suggest you tools stick to the commercial rigs, and leave us normal folks the hell alone.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
Is there a constitutional leg to stand on here because of "interstate commerce?"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
Merged topics.

Sorry AZ, Jocassee's subject stays since he beat you by 19 seconds.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:31:53 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
Merged topics.

Sorry AZ, Jocassee's subject stays since he beat you by 19 seconds.

Victory! But seriously.

I will be calling my reps this afternoon demanding the TSA be disestablished.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
Just breaking...Freedom is terrorism. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
Just breaking...Freedom is terrorism. 

{rummages through Rolodex}  Where is that TSA tip line?  I believe a comrade needs to be reported.  J/K.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
Is there a constitutional leg to stand on here because of "interstate commerce?"

Considering the other things they've been allowed to regulate, ban, tax, and abuse in the name of "interstate commerce."

More people and goods are moved on the ground than in the air.  Yet the TSA is knuckle deep in aviation transportation, assuring our "safety", feeling our wives' boobs, and looking in our children's diapers so that we can fly.  Next step is border checkpoints between the states, especially into high value targets such as DC and New York.  Hell, New York already has checkpoints during big events, especially travelling into tunnels and over bridges.  
They took away our money to "fight poverty."
They took away our rights to be secure in our property and persons to "fight drugs".
Now, they will take away our freedom of travel to "fight terror."

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
How poetic!

VIPR=SSSS (Someone Sees Something Somewhere)  ;/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=31946.0

Linky no worky, produces:

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

It comes as no surprise that Tennessee jumped in first.  Some years ago, the head of the TN Dept. of Public Safety, or whatever runs their commercial vehicle program, went on record several times stating that a commercial trucker's 4th amendment rights do not exist within Tennessee's borders.  I passed through one scale in the mid '90s to see a truck in the inspection park, sleeper door open, and the driver's personal gear, including a boom box and TV, come flying out the sleeper door onto the pavement.  Perhaps a legitimate search, certainly not a legitimate search process.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
But I thought TSA searches on aircraft were okay because you were making a choice to flight and if you didn't want to be searched you could just drive across the continent?

Has the government.... lied to me?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
How poetic!

VIPR=SSSS (Someone Sees Something Somewhere)  ;/

That's one too many "S"'s
--Lysander Spooner

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »

SSSS (yes, that's 4 S's) is the TSA SooperSekritSkyuritee...Something  code for "agents at the security-theater checkpoint, feel free to pull this guy's pants down" - it gets printed on your boarding pass when you pick it up, and lets the security-theater agents know that you've won the special-screening lottery.

Though I'm tempted to say it's TWO too many S's... but that would be granting Team Sexual Assault far too much credit for effectiveness, really.

I wish I could say I was laughing at all those who had said "If you don't want to get groped, just don't fly!".  But being able to say "I TOLD YOU STUPID SORRY SONS OF B****ES SO!!!" is awfully cold comfort. :facepalm:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »
Yall saw it predicted here months ago.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
I wish I could say I was laughing at all those who had said "If you don't want to get groped, just don't fly!".  But being able to say "I TOLD YOU STUPID SORRY SONS OF B****ES SO!!!" is awfully cold comfort. :facepalm:

Hear, hear.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
I for one welcome our new overlords and their divine principle of interstate commercism.

By the way, does this TSA surveillance include the Mexican trucks Obama wants circulating through the U.S.A.?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:42:23 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 07:47:15 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=31946.0

Linky no worky, produces:

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

It comes as no surprise that Tennessee jumped in first.  Some years ago, the head of the TN Dept. of Public Safety, or whatever runs their commercial vehicle program, went on record several times stating that a commercial trucker's 4th amendment rights do not exist within Tennessee's borders.  I passed through one scale in the mid '90s to see a truck in the inspection park, sleeper door open, and the driver's personal gear, including a boom box and TV, come flying out the sleeper door onto the pavement.  Perhaps a legitimate search, certainly not a legitimate search process.

Tennessee is one of the states I most hated to drive my truck through. It was not unusual to see 10 to 20 creeper cops at the chicken house or rest area hammering the heck out of the trucks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:58:55 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »

Hm.  I STRONGLY suggest you tools stick to the commercial rigs, and leave us normal folks the hell alone.

Speak for yourself >:( I am getting really tired of checkpoints on 202 every week.  2011 Peterbilt gets the full treatment every time... commercial enforcement is way more profitable than civil.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »

Ageed.
Yup, I got it.  ;)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 09:23:26 AM »
Speak for yourself >:( I am getting really tired of checkpoints on 202 every week.  2011 Peterbilt gets the full treatment every time... commercial enforcement is way more profitable than civil.

My town (Pearland, TX) has a highway running through it (TX 288).  The PD has a commercial division and they are consistently stopping trucks along 288 for revenue enhancement inspections.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »
It's heartening that we are fighting terrorism while The Terror inexorably spreads, with the consent of the governed, slowly but surely within American society.  We were warned what the price of fighting nameless, diffuse, and "asymmetric" terror would be, but we preferred "safety" to liberty and personal responsibility and government accountability.  Let George do it, we said.  Well, he did, and now Obama & Friends are doing it even better.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
Ageed.
Yup, I got it.  ;)

One too few r's.  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

May I just take the time to say "Thank You" for buying a PACCAR product.  When it is time to replace it I hope you choose Peterbilt again (or Kenworth).  Which model are you driving?

If you ever take the opportunity to tour the Technical Center let me know.  I'll make sure I'm one of the tour guides for your group.
Formerly sumpnz