Author Topic: Hertz fires 25 Muslim drivers in break dispute  (Read 4278 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Hertz fires 25 Muslim drivers in break dispute
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/hertz-fires-25-muslim-drivers-break-dispute-062343039.html
SEATTLE (AP) — Hertz is firing 25 Somali Muslim drivers at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport who have refused to agree to clock out for daily breaks during which they normally pray.
You mess with the bull, you get the horns!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Hertz fires 25 Muslim drivers in break dispute
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »
They get 5 ten-minute breaks per day?!?  And they didn't want to clock out for them?  That's not just failing to abide by company policy, that's theft/fraud.

I'm pleased to see the comments were all in favor of Hertz upholding their policy.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
They get 5 ten-minute breaks per day?!?  And they didn't want to clock out for them?  That's not just failing to abide by company policy, that's theft/fraud.

Maybe, depends on the company and company culture.  When I was in HS and working at Kroger, we got two 15min paid breaks per 8hr shift (and an unpaid 1/2 lunch).  Maybe they view their prayer breaks as an extension of that sort of policy.  Also, do other workers excuse themselves to grab a smoke without clocking out?  That's another precedent that they may feel they have a right to emulate.

I suspect the latter as most smokers don't see any problem with leaving their post for 5min every hour or two to feed their disgusting addiction.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »
"I suspect the latter as most smokers don't see any problem with leaving their post for 5min every hour or two to feed their disgusting addiction."

Stop it. You're making me blush.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
Stop it. You're making me blush.

Like shooting fish in a smokey barrel... :P

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't just start deducting 50 minutes per day from their pay. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »
Stand by for the OUTRAGE from people who also probably scream and hollar for christian prayer to not be allowed in the workplace.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
the double standard for smokers in the workplace almost was enough incentive to start smoking again, I worked at a long term treatment facility & the smokers got tons of more breaks then non smokers.

Perhaps they should have smoked while praying?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
I am reminded - perhaps unfairly - of a tale from my Army days.

During basic training, it was announced that religious individuals - Jewish or Muslim, we had both - would get a break from activities, including morning PT, for the purpose of attending prayer.

As basic training wound on, more and more members of the platoon found religion. I believe as many as 20 men out of a 60-man platoon would be absent from morning PT in the last week.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
When in Basic Training it was interesting to see those that went to church services every Sunday that once Basic Training was completed never saw the inside of one again.  At least the ones I continued on training with.

As for me and church I am more of the W&F types.  (Weddings and Funerals)  And if funerals aren't supposed to be Fun why are the first three letters F-U-N?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
I work when I smoke.  If I didn't, I would expect to (and record) that time accordingly.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
A previous report/article I saw about the Hertz firings pointed out that Hertz notably did NOT fire any of a bunch of other Muslim workers who, perhaps coincidentally, followed company policy. No matter what your view of anti-discrimination laws, I don't think you can spin "I don't want to follow the rules" into a protected class.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
I am reminded - perhaps unfairly - of a tale from my Army days.

During basic training, it was announced that religious individuals - Jewish or Muslim, we had both - would get a break from activities, including morning PT, for the purpose of attending prayer.

As basic training wound on, more and more members of the platoon found religion. I believe as many as 20 men out of a 60-man platoon would be absent from morning PT in the last week.

Heh! In addition to that, the church in basic was the one spot where male and female recruits could mingle with minimal supervison. Religious they were.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »
Heh! In addition to that, the church in basic was the one spot where male and female recruits could mingle with minimal supervison. Religious they were.

Jesus sees you.  And your dirty thoughts.   :P
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Jesus sees you.  And your dirty thoughts.   :P
Really? I hope he's got plenty of brain bleach then :laugh:. He'll need it after seeing mine :angel:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »
No matter what your view of anti-discrimination laws, I don't think you can spin "I don't want to follow the rules" into a protected class.

Sure you can.
http://www.smallgovtimes.com/2009/10/obama-expands-hate-crimes-to-include-homosexuals/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
Ok, HOW does that relate?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 02:46:21 AM »

Quickie breaks?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 03:24:42 AM »

In Fistful's language, LGBT are just people who 'don't want to follow the rules'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
Well, there are rules. And they don't want to follow them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
For all you folks whinging about smokers taking breaks -

As an ex-smoker I can remember both the times I stopped to suck down some nicotine while waiting for the next thing I was hired to do showed up to be done, as well as how quickly I threw away a burning butt to deal with whatever needed to be dealt with when it showed up while I was smoking.  (Think loading dock with nothing coming in or going out as we waited for a truck to be backed up to the dock.  Very similar to moving vehicles as they become available to be moved.)

If the devout Muslims are willing to knock off in mid-prayer to drive a vehicle that needs being driven then I might feel OK with them not clocking out for prayer time.  But if they are going to let a vehicle sit while they finish davening then they need to be off the clock as they are not available to perform for their employer.  (This is not to suggest that I am expecting all emplyees to jump up and run to get to every vehicle as soon as it is ready to be driven.  As far as I'm concerned, they can walk slowly and deliberately as much as they want, as long as they are available to do so.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
For all you folks whinging about smokers taking breaks -

As an ex-smoker I can remember both the times I stopped to suck down some nicotine while waiting for the next thing I was hired to do showed up to be done, as well as how quickly I threw away a burning butt to deal with whatever needed to be dealt with when it showed up while I was smoking.  (Think loading dock with nothing coming in or going out as we waited for a truck to be backed up to the dock.  Very similar to moving vehicles as they become available to be moved.)

If the devout Muslims are willing to knock off in mid-prayer to drive a vehicle that needs being driven then I might feel OK with them not clocking out for prayer time.  But if they are going to let a vehicle sit while they finish davening then they need to be off the clock as they are not available to perform for their employer.  (This is not to suggest that I am expecting all emplyees to jump up and run to get to every vehicle as soon as it is ready to be driven.  As far as I'm concerned, they can walk slowly and deliberately as much as they want, as long as they are available to do so.)

stay safe.

And I've worked with and seen many, many smokers that will insist on taking that smoke break, patiently and slowly suck down that cig, and if they get called back in to work, say "Be there when I'm done". 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 12:23:48 PM »
Smoking used to be a lot cheaper.  When you have spent a few dollars for that one cig, I think you're less likely to toss it away unfinished. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
Well, there are rules. And they don't want to follow them.
And you do? Please!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »
A couple places my wife worked, she would take smoke breaks with the smokers.  No, she didn't smoke, but figured if it was good enough for them to take a break out doors, it was good enough for her.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton