Author Topic: Armed self-defense works.  (Read 6533 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Armed self-defense works.
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
I know she feel's bad about killing, but better that then her being dead.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Armed self-defense works.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »
She fired two warning shots thru a window, the man left walked around the corner but immediately came back and that’s when she fired the fatal shot.

Note to bad guys: when someone shoots at you twice, don't come back for more. M'kay?

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
That's about the third instance I've heard of in the past six months of women defending themselves in their home. Hate that there's a need for it but glad to see more women refusing to be victims.

On a side note, that article was obviously not scanned by a proofreader or editor. Made my red pen itchy.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
It's a local station staffed with less than stellar newsies. Either they're learning and going to move on to bigger markets or this is the highest level they will reach. In one promo they ran for some time the breathlessly exclaimed of a story that "We were the only one's to bring it to you first!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »
That's about the third instance I've heard of in the past six months of women defending themselves in their home.

Expect lots more. *expletive deleted*it's getting real out there.

As a side note, I wonder what's going to happen when the "end of the world 2012" bullshit starts really spinning up... A good friend of mine was carjacked and raped on the eve of Y2K because a punkass mother *expletive deleted*er "wanted a piece of ass before the world ended".

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:42:05 AM »
Note to bad guys: when someone shoots at you twice, don't come back for more. M'kay?

Darwin in action.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:48:55 AM »
As a side note, I wonder what's going to happen when the "end of the world 2012" bull*expletive deleted* starts really spinning up...

Didn't you hear? The world ended yesterday. Remember Harold Camping, the guy that predicted the Rapture would happen in May?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
The whole emotional trauma she is going through could have been avoided if she had not wasted the two "warning shots" and just plugged the guy with the first shot.

I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not a guy still outside the plane of the walls is an imminent threat or not - I'm not an elderly woman apparently living alone whose home is being targeted at 2 AM.  The cops seem to be happy, so I'm happy too.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
Well being the fact that she was 60+ some years old, I can't say she was wrong.  Easy for us to sit back and play armchair 20/20 hindsight monday morning quarterback.  But we weren't there or in her shoes.  I just hope that if the time ever comes I can pull the trigger as she did.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
"The whole emotional trauma she is going through could have been avoided if she had not wasted the two "warning shots" and just plugged the guy with the first shot."

Probably helped her legal situation.  (Although I would figure she just missed with the first two shots.) 

Y'know, two in the dirt, two COM, but I wonder where those first two ended up.  Probably won't find 'em until the next time the neighbor paints the garage. 

I s'pose it's OK to fire warning shots if you got wun uh them standard-capacity 17-shot guns what you load on Sunday and shoot all week.  Not sure it's a good idea if you got wun uh them limited-capacity guns what only hold five  or six or seven or eight shots.

Or ten.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:23:15 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
I've read multiple articles on this, but none of them address how she was able to keep the attacker from taking the gun away from her and shooting her with it. That is what would normally happen. Nor do they hold her accountable for escalating the conflict by introducing a gun into the situation.

What has become of our journalists?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »
That's about the third instance I've heard of in the past six months of women defending themselves in their home. Hate that there's a need for it but glad to see more women refusing to be victims.

On a side note, that article was obviously not scanned by a proofreader or editor. Made my red pen itchy.

Not gonna happen.

I've been realizing that what passes for "articles" on most television station web sites (or is that site's? -- I see this so much I'm beginning to doubt my high school English teachers) is nothing more than transcripts of the live-from-the-scene news(?)casts. I'm sure the person doing the transcribing has little more than a high school education, so if spell check in Word doesn't flag it ... it must be correct.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:26:01 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
I'm sure the person doing the transcribing has little more than a high school education

A person with a HS education from 40 years ago would know better  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
Not gonna happen.

I've been realizing that what passes for "articles" on most television station web sites (or is that site's? -- I see this so much I'm beginning to doubt my high school English teachers) is nothing more than transcripts of the live-fom-the-scene news(?)casts. I'm sure the person doing the transcribing has little more than a high school education, so if spell check in Word doesn't flag it ... it must be correct.

Werd spellcheck does not detect homonyms because they are of course spelled correctly. My local newspaper is good for 2-3 per edition.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
The whole emotional trauma she is going through could have been avoided if she had not wasted the two "warning shots" and just plugged the guy with the first shot.

There'll be, and ought to be, emotional trauma any time your actions cause a death.  Hopefully she'll get it sorted out in due time.  Hopefully the perp's friends and family don't cause problems.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
Werd spellcheck does not detect homonyms because they are of course spelled correctly. My local newspaper is good for 2-3 per edition.

Yep, mine too.  Drives me crazy.

One I see occasionally in the gun forums is "Inside (or outside) the wasteband holster".  What exactly are you wearing to hold your (or is it you're) holster?

The other day on Craigslist I saw "Worshing machine for sale".  I wouldn't call such an individual on a bet.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
"Worshing machine for sale"

Well, that's just spelling it like it sounds  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
The other day on Craigslist I saw "Worshing machine for sale".  I wouldn't call such an individual on a bet.

Hell, I'm blessed. They call ME. "Yall got that dere cable tv in da campground?". Seriously..one idiot left a very long, rambling message about how he couldn't find the cable TV hookup at his campsite (our campground doesn't have cable TV...nor has it ever). He went on for so long, the answering machine timed out and he called back and rambled for a while longer.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
Hawkmoon and Tallpine - one that bothers me a lot is confusing "who" and "that" and I see it all the time, even in supposedly professionally written articles. And some of us with a high school education from 20-something years ago know better too.  =)

Lee - I agree. Trauma is perfectly normal and to be expected. If she felt nothing about shooting someone I'd wonder. That said, I think it might be a little easier to put it to rest knowing that it had to be him or me.

As to there being any question about her firing "warning shots" while probably not a wise move as she likely wasn't thinking about where else those rounds might have landed, I suspect she likely didn't care to wait and see if he'd follow through on coming through her window. Where he might have succeeded in getting the weapon away from her.

This was a positive outcome, no matter how you look at it.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »
As to there being any question about her firing "warning shots" while probably not a wise move as she likely wasn't thinking about where else those rounds might have landed, I suspect she likely didn't care to wait and see if he'd follow through on coming through her window.

This is why my "warning shot" is low-recoil #4 buck.  When that hits the BG in the chest, it's warning him that a 000 magnum is next.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
Yep, mine too.  Drives me crazy.

One I see occasionally in the gun forums is "Inside (or outside) the wasteband holster".  What exactly are you wearing to hold your (or is it you're) holster?

The other day on Craigslist I saw "Worshing machine for sale".  I wouldn't call such an individual on a bet.

Oh, true enough. Years ago, the local shoppers bargain paper had an ad for a used Jeep with "worn" hubs. Obviously, the seller had phoned in the ad and the person at the paper dutifully wrote down exactly what he said. Of course, a 4WD vehicle with "worn" hubs is a lot less desirable than one with "Warn" hubs, but I don't expect a phone drone to know the difference. I ALWAYS sent in typed or computer generated copy by snail mail or fax rather than call ads in and cast myself on the mercies of the phone drones.

Back to the report du jour: the other problem with these news "articles" that are transcripts of telecasts is that, in addition to not spelling very well, they reproduce what the roving reporter on the scene said ... exactly. So if that person doesn't use correct grammar ... the "article" won't use correct grammar. Since it's a given that 98.7 percent of television field stringers can't speak proper English, it's small wonder so many of these "articles" are unreadable.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »
KD5, according to your logic, I'll give the bad guys six warning shots of 00 buck before getting serious with the 3" magnum slug.....    :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
I guess I'm weirder than I ever knew. I've thought about the possibility that I might someday have to shoot someone, either in my own defense or to defend a member of my family. My intent would be defense rather than homicide but, if my properly legal and morally sustainable self defense resulted in the demise of the assailant ... I really don't think I would be especially upset. Nor should I be.

Roman Catholic Catechism (emphasis added):

Legitimate defense

2263 The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. "The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor.... The one is intended, the other is not."[65]

2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:
If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful.... Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.[65]

2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life. Preserving the common good requires rendering the unjust aggressor unable to inflict harm. To this end, those holding legitimate authority have the right to repel by armed force aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their charge.[66]

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
After a nighttime stakeout/gunfight many years ago, a trooper friend told me "some people just need killin'." How true.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
Interview with the lady.

She fired two warning shots and called 9-1-1.. That scared off Theis.. But it didn't keep him away for good. "All of a sudden he put his knee on the window sill and tried to climb through the window. And I just pulled the trigger again. I looked for a white shirt. I was afraid to look at his face and then I just shot the white shirt," Hopper says.

She kept it together after being awakened and frightened. That's a hell of a woman.

And based on the story the guy was committed to scumbaggery.