Author Topic: Gov. Perry's Tax Plan: The APS Debate  (Read 2885 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Gov. Perry's Tax Plan: The APS Debate
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
Here's the form:
http://www.rickperry.org/content/uploads/2011/10/sample-tax-return.pdf

and the plan:
http://www.rickperry.org/cut-balance-and-grow-html/

I actually like this better then Cain's 9-9-9 plan.  As much as I'd like to get rid of Mortgage and Charitable Deductions, I realize that that won't happen.  Just getting to a flat tax would be a HUGE step.

And I LOVE this:
Federal Regulations Automatically Sunset Unless Congress Renews Them

Just as working families must regularly re-evaluate their spending priorities, federal policy makers should also be required to assess whether decades-old regulations still make sense. A requirement that all new federal regulations will automatically sunset after seven years unless explicitly renewed by Congress will ensure continuous review of every new federal regulation. It will also empower the country’s elected lawmakers to hold federal agencies accountable for costly regulations that destroy jobs and reduce economic growth.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Gov. Perry's Tax Plan: The APS Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »
It's a nice plan.

Shame Perry will never even try to do it if he's elected.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
It's a nice plan.

I think he'll try.  And roll over and cave as soon as he meets the slightest bit of resistance. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
I think he'll try.  And roll over and cave as soon as he meets the slightest bit of resistance. 

He is getting his *expletive deleted*ss handed to him in the debates against Romney.  I half expect Perry to grow big droopy blonde ears and start peeing on the carpet in submissive nervousness like a Cocker Spaniel.

Anything that simplifies taxes, pushes the "you must at least pay something" line down away from the 50% threshold, and puts H&R Block / Jackson Hewitt out of business is A-OK with me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
I think it's an OK plan. A flat rate is a great start, but why muck it up by setting it highish and then moving individual rates around through deductions an exemptions.

Why should I pay higher taxes because I have no children? What about that means more money for the .gov?
Why should I pay higher taxes because I rent? We live in a nice apartment in a nice neighborhood, costs us just as much as a mortgage.
Why should I pay lower taxes than someone else because I donate a measurable percentage of my income?

Set it at a reasonably low rate, do away with deductions, at MOST keep some exemption for those with a very low income, and be done with it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »
During memorable years of yore, President Carter and his asininity generated a movement calling for sunset provisions of all legislation coming out of congress.  Five years was the opening lifespan, no consideration for renewing legislation until year 4.  And my personal favorite--ban the practice of forward funding.  Forward funding is a technique used by bureaucrats and their toadies in congress to inflate initial funding beyond what was politically acceptable.  Congress would fund a program for say 3 years.  One year into implementation of the program the bureaucrats would say, "Hey, this thing is really moving.  We need additional funding."  So they could reach into the future and pull back additional funding, all without participation by congress.  Neat trick, Huh?  Strangely the movement never went anywhere.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
Seems APS doesn't care to talk much about Perry, and much more to talk about Cain.  As evidenced by 5 posts for Perry, and almost 5 pages of posts on Cain.

And I note the complete lack of "APS Debate" on Romney's proposal, and general apathy as to whether he even has one or not.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
It's a nice plan.

I'd love to see Rand Paul & a fellow liberty-minded fellow in the House introduce it in total if Perry was elected.  That would be rich, indeed.

BTW: For Perry's plan as an improvement, not tax & spend nirvana.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
I think the American People will have one more chance to get it right and changing the basic tax system has to be part of the equation.  Otherwise, we are headed for exactly the same destination as Greece, Italy and probably France.  Then we are talking world wide depression and the ascenion of jihad.  Whether Iran has nuclear weapons will not even be an issue relative to sanctions.  It will be about survival.

IF the plan is so good, why not introduce in now for debate?  Same goes for the Cain plan...  The problem of course is that the Democrats still hold the majority in the Senate and the bill like so many Hourse bills may not even be allowed to reach the floor for consideration under Reid.  On the other hand, a new tax plan might be the thing to push current Dems toward real change rather than real spending.  Something dynamic has to happen.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
I think the American People will have one more chance to get it right and changing the basic tax system has to be part of the equation.  Otherwise, we are headed for exactly the same destination as Greece, Italy and probably France.  Then we are talking world wide depression and the ascenion of jihad.  Whether Iran has nuclear weapons will not even be an issue relative to sanctions.  It will be about survival.

IF the plan is so good, why not introduce in now for debate?  Same goes for the Cain plan...  The problem of course is that the Democrats still hold the majority in the Senate and the bill like so many Hourse bills may not even be allowed to reach the floor for consideration under Reid.  On the other hand, a new tax plan might be the thing to push current Dems toward real change rather than real spending.  Something dynamic has to happen.

You're right, but a dynamic and salutary tax overhaul would require a moral quorum that no longer exists in America.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
I'm sad to say that I was excited by Perry at first, mostly because of Texas' prosperity.

I've learned alot in the last few weeks.
Among those things is that Perry isn't sincere.  A sincere man would know at his heart exactly which government agencies need to be cut, and not flounder on it during the debate.

The Texas budget has increased by almost 300% in the last 10 years.  While balanced (although this year that was with BS accounting trickery), it is shocking to see the gorging at the trough being adopted at this level, too.  And Perry has overseen such a gorging.

:facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
This is why you can't separate economics from morality: you need to make moral and social distinctions, and be clear about your values and motives, to know what to cut and whom to impact.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:13 PM »
This is why you can't separate economics from morality: you need to make moral and social distinctions, and be clear about your values and motives, to know what to cut and whom to impact.

Bullshit.  Economics has no morality.  Government should never make moral nor social distinctions when it makes economic policy. *expletive deleted*it, that's what's gotten us where we are.
JD

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »
morality > No; Ethics > Yes  There is a difference.  However most ethics are morality based.  If Company A charges you $1000 for a job and company B would do the same job for $500....  is that moral?  It is ethical as long as the price was stated and agreed to as part of the contract for services.

I would not intentionally do business with a company that has no ethics.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
I'm sad to say that I was excited by Perry at first, mostly because of Texas' prosperity.

I've learned alot in the last few weeks.
Among those things is that Perry isn't sincere.  A sincere man would know at his heart exactly which government agencies need to be cut, and not flounder on it during the debate.

The Texas budget has increased by almost 300% in the last 10 years.  While balanced (although this year that was with BS accounting trickery), it is shocking to see the gorging at the trough being adopted at this level, too.  And Perry has overseen such a gorging.

:facepalm:

Welcome to the realm of common sense....and that Texas feeling of buyers' remorse....

I'd be worried about this train-wreck of a tax plan if I thought that Perry would actually try to change the DC status-quo....he's just another Rockefeller Republican trying to get his place at the leadership table.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.