Author Topic: Possibly of interest to cheeseheads and others: castle doctrine bill  (Read 758 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I see that the Castle Doctrine bill passed out of the WI state senate today. That's not unusual. What's unusual is that Senators Spencer Coggs and Lena Taylor voted for it (along with another Dem from down around Kenosha).

Why would two members of Milwaukee's north side black caucus vote for a castle doctrine bill? Could it be that blacks actually want to be able to protect themselves, just like the rest of us, regardless of what the media would have us believe?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Possibly of interest to cheeseheads and others: castle doctrine bill
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »
Dunno. I suspect it's because they know it'll pass, and it's a calculated move to try and not look too soft on crime.  If both their votes would have meant it's defeat, you can be sure they'd have voted the other way.

It's going back to the Assembly, because one Senate amendment stuck to it, pretty innocuous as best I can tell. It changes the exceptions for "police in their duties" (Can't shoot a cop who has articulateable probable-cause, and in the course of his duties kicks down your door, and use Castle Doctrine as a defense) and replaces "police" with "Emergency Services" to cover fire fighters and EMT's.

My understanding is that Castle Doctrine does extend to your car now as well. Effectively making it a "Make My Day" Carjacking Law like some other states have. However, the "Stand Your Ground" removing all duty to retreat in public when you have a legal right to be there never got added in, like some preliminary rumors had been hoping it would.

The lack of "Stand Your Ground" to coincide with CCW is disappointing, but I can live with it. WI doesn't have a big legacy of prosecuting self-defense, and anyone with two brain cells to rub together can figure out how to use our "reasonable man" standards to their benefit. "I had my kids with me and couldn't run", "I have arthritis", "I have a heart condition", "I was afraid if I turned my back on him to run, he'd get me" etc. etc. etc.

The main thing I'd miss in public self-defense not in your car or home is the civil liability protections.  Although a bill that adds complete civil immunity for any legit self-defense could be passed later.

I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
The main thing I'd miss in public self-defense not in your car or home is the civil liability protections.  Although a bill that adds complete civil immunity for any legit self-defense could be passed later.

To me, that's the biggest point. As you said, DA's prosecuting citizens shooting bad guys is rare. Civil suits aren't.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »
Oklahoma just put into effect the no retreat in your place of buisness also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!