Author Topic: Turkey Meatloaf???  (Read 3516 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Turkey Meatloaf???
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Anyone ever tried to make a turkey meatloaf?  I have some wild turkey in the freezer that's probably starting to get freezer burned.  I was figuring I'd need to grind some bacon in with it since the fat content is as close to zero as possible.  I was thinking around 1 part bacon to 6 parts turkey.  Think that'll be enough fat content for everything to stick together?

Anyway some pointers on receipes would be appreciated.  As an aside I'd probably have to make it gluten free if I want anyone else to house to eat it.  I often will use rolled oats in the place of breadcrumbs for beef/elk/deer based meatloaf.
Formerly sumpnz

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Turkey Meatloaf???
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
use an egg as binder?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
I've made it.  I found a recipe on FoodTV.com
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
use an egg as binder?

Always  ;)

I've made it.  I found a recipe on FoodTV.com

Got a direct link and/or receipe and some recollections on how it turned out?
Formerly sumpnz

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »
I have used rice in meatloaf with varying success.  Working without a recipe, I have had difficulty getting the liquids right so that raw rice is fully cooked but still has some texture.  Starting with cooked, or nearly cooked, rice works better.  While white rice is good, I prefer wild rice, Thai red, and Thai black rice.

Googling "rice meatloaf" returns many recipes including some turkey meatloafs.

Check out www.lundberg.com for several neat varieties and blends.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:48:13 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:45 AM »
Egg & oatmeal & bacon will help. 

There are recipie sites that will return recipies for a list of ingredients you have on hand, too.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:29:31 AM »
Anyone ever tried to make a turkey meatloaf?

You can try but I don't think he will eat it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:30:22 AM »
Egg & oatmeal & bacon will help. 

There are recipie sites that will return recipies for a list of ingredients you have on hand, too.

WD40, duct-tape and bacon.

That is all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »
Anyone ever tried to make a turkey meatloaf? 

La Esposa likes to substitute store bought ground turkey for ground beef in recipes, which would include meatloaf.  It doesn't taste all that good.  IMHO, YMMV, insert standard disclaimer here.  Add spices to cover the bland turkey taste.

Wild turkey may be better.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
I have no experience with turkey meatloaf, but boy I do not like the turkey burgers.  My wife got a bag of the Jenni-O premade frozen patties.  They fell apart on the grill and were almost tasteless.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
I have no experience with turkey meatloaf, but boy I do not like the turkey burgers.  My wife got a bag of the Jenni-O premade frozen patties.  They fell apart on the grill and were almost tasteless.

They must have a new and improved version available, as the last time someone snuck them on my plate they were completely and utterly tasteless.

At least the textured soy protien patties have some spices mixed in to give them that off, metallic taste. [barf]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
FWIW, the Carl's Jr. turkey burger is something I will not repeat.

I have had turkey meatloaf I enjoyed.  One I lashed together myself using quasi-Chinese spices, the other made by a friend with Indian spicing and chutney.  Neither came from recipes.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
I'll make turkey chilli or spaghetti from time to time with store bought ground turkey when on a health kick.  I have enough spices in those it is not bad but not as good as the beef and pork versions.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »
I mix myself. Turkey beef usually.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
I mix myself. Turkey beef usually.

Anatomically speaking, how does that breeding program work?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »
I have had turkey meatloaf I enjoyed.  One I lashed together myself using quasi-Chinese spices, the other made by a friend with Indian spicing and chutney.  Neither came from recipes.

Do you remember the vague details?
Formerly sumpnz

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
Been making crumbled ground turkey (store-bought) seasoned with a little EVOO and this, and I think it comes out pretty dang tasty.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
The only time turkey tastes heavenly is when it is stuffed, baked and basted in an oven and served with mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, stuffing, cranberries and corn meal muffins.

The genetic makeup of turkey only allows for it to be delightfully served to humans as above.  Any other attempts to falsify it's purpose as food is a communist conspiracy intended to ruin a good meal for western capitalists.

That is all!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »
Do you remember the vague details?

My quasi-Chinese effort used cooked white rice, diced water chestnuts, diced mushrooms, finely sliced scallions, fresh grated ginger, five spice powder(?), turkey broth, an egg binder, and soy sauce.

My friend's Indian effort had Basmati rice, onion, pine nuts, currents that were first dried and then rehydrated in Marsala, Madras (I think) curry powder, garam masala, egg binder, and chicken broth.  The chutneys were commercial Major Grey's and several home made efforts.

The only time turkey tastes heavenly is when it is...

Find a good Mexican cook and beg for some mole Poblano de guajolote.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
The only time turkey tastes heavenly is when it is stuffed, baked and basted in an oven and served with mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, stuffing, cranberries and corn meal muffins.

The genetic makeup of turkey only allows for it to be delightfully served to humans as above.  Any other attempts to falsify it's purpose as food is a communist conspiracy intended to ruin a good meal for western capitalists.

That is all!!

That works great for store bought/farm raised turkey.  Slightly freezer burned wild turkey?  Not so much.
Formerly sumpnz

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Anatomically speaking, how does that breeding program work?
It helps if the turkey is the boy and the beef is a girl. Much easier that way.  ;)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 01:44:47 AM »
So, 9 months later, SWMBO is out of town for a couple weeks (been gone a week already).  I finally have had a chance to get things ready for a turkey meatloaf.  I ground the meat tonight and will make the meatloaf tomorrow.  I'd guess I have 5 lbs of meat from 2 wild turkey carcasses.  I ground that with half a pound of bacon.  Got a couple receipe options.  Will report on the results.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 02:11:34 AM »
Traditional meatloaf mix is beef+pork+veal.  Substituting ground turkey for the veal should work OK.

Half beef and half turkey is not bad if you mix them well and season it good.

I often use ground turkey and hot breakfast sausage mixed together when I make lasagna.  Add some cayenne pepper and fennel seeds and it tastes like Italian sausage but not as greasy.
"It's good, though..."

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »
I, myself, would make meatloaf with beef & ground pork. Or venison and pork - even better.

Then, after enjoying a tasty meal, have a glass of Wild Turkey. Or two.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

Interesting. I keep Jennie-O turkey burger patties in the freezer at all times. I have never had one fall apart, and once the requisite quantity of ketchup has been applied they don't taste any different than a beef hamburger.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design