Author Topic: 1995 F-150 gurus?  (Read 3259 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
1995 F-150 gurus?
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:06:45 AM »
I find my 5.0 F-150 wants to bog down when accelerating from stop or slow speed to where you have to give it too much pedal and then it suddenly begins to function correctly and takes off like a bat out of hell. Sometimes spinning the tires!  :O

I know this is some device in there causing this but I'm disremembering what it is. Anyone know?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: 1995 F-150 gurus?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »
throttle position sensor possibly

clogged injectors maybe
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
I had a 96 F150 with a 5.0.  It would "hesitate" when taking off.  I had an auto trans that if the fluid was not kept fresh, the shifting would make the truck act similar to yours.  After I figured out what it was, I then sucked out as much trans fluid as I could out of the dip stick tube and refilled to correct level every other time I changed the engine oil.  The truck had 170 thousand miles on it when I sold it and it was running/shifting just fine.  OTH, it probably is a sensor on your engine but I thought my info might help....chris3

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
I have a '93 and seems to do the same thing.  I don't really worry about it right now.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
When was the last time you did the ignition tune up? Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. 

Also any MIL lights?  Do you have the ability to see if it's going to closed loop mode, or is it stuck in open loop? Any smoke from the exhaust when under powered? Of so black, blue, or white.  Are you loosing coolant or oil?  What does the oil look like black, or kinda milky? What do the plugs look like?

Several things have the ability to cause the symptoms you've described.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
man i can't believe no one answered "because its a ford" yet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »
Could be a throttle position sensor.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
man i can't believe no one answered "because its a ford" yet

I was trying to be good  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
First things first... it could be the TPS but I'd be more apt to suspect the mass air flow sensor has died or is at least dirty.  I've had the same symptoms in two vehicles and it ended up being a crapped-up MAF sensor wire.  You can clean the MAF with some zero residue electronics cleaner.  Remove it the hose it down with cleaner.  DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, PUT YOUR BOOGER HOOKS ANYWHERE NEAR THE SENSOR WIRE!!  Don't touch it with anything but the cleaner.  Allow a few minutes to air dry, reinstall, and fire it up.  Disconnect the battery before servicing, of course.

Also, there is a hose that runs from the intake tube down to something.  I can't remember what it's for or exactly where it's located, but if it comes loose it can cause the same problems.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
Where is the Magic Air Flow sensor located? Last I checked the oil it looked good. Tranny fluid is a possibilty. TPS another. I'll poke around maybe on sunday

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
I was going to suggest cleaning up the points with some emery paper, but I don't think that's going to help ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
Where is the Magic Air Flow sensor located? Last I checked the oil it looked good. Tranny fluid is a possibilty. TPS another. I'll poke around maybe on sunday

Mas Air on a 95 5.0?  Should be between the throttle body and Air cleaner.  If memory serves me correctly, it'll be an aluminum tube bolted to the air cleaner box with a plastic tube from the other end to the throttle body.

Hold on, gimme a sec.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »

It's going to be a part of the intake ducting between the air filter and the throttle body.  It'll be a short section of pipe with an electrical connector coming out of it.

Next time you drive it, see if the thing which triggers the power to come back is  a particular rpm
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
MAF Sensor:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
While your looking at the MAF make sure the air filter isn't torn letting it suck things onto the sensor.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
Thank ya'll!  =D