Author Topic: M1 Garand accuracy mods that are legal for High Power/JCG/CMP matches?  (Read 3129 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
What's allowed as far as mods to an M1 Garand to increase accuracy but still remain service-rifle-legal in HP/CMP/JCG matches?

When I get my "special" grade from CMP, I'm going to just shoot it as-is for a few matches, but my intent is to take it to Ron Smith at SEI and have him mod the sights to 1/2 MOA with hooded aperture and eliminate any wobble in the rear sight, smooth the trigger to 4.5 to 4.75 pounds, unitize/align the gas system, and maybe bed the action.  Set it up so it can run 168gr and maybe even 175gr match bullets as well as a Garand is capable of doing.  Not doing the Schuster plug (though I'd really like to), since that isn't CMP legal.

Ideally, I'd rather have a .308 "Navy" Garand so I don't have to stock .30-06 ammo at all and I already have an M14.  But, a .308 Garand isn't legal for HP/JCG/CMP matches.  Just wondering what other mods I might come across that are prohibited for competitive service rifle shooting.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

P5 Guy

Re: M1 Garand accuracy mods that are legal for High Power/JCG/CMP matches?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?s=b8d2216a5ec15d34211bd8c70c0fee68&f=72

The rules and discussion of such.
No bedding, no NM (national match) marked parts as issued matches.
JCG, As Issued are the only matches I have participated in. And they Issued the M2 Ball also. Sling for prone and sitting/kneeling not for standing.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
I guess I need to learn the rules. They seem to be legal for Highpower, at least I see a few make the line at the Fleet and All Navy matches.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
It also depends on specifically what match you're shooting.  Some do allow some modifications, including bedding the stock and chambering in .308, where others require the rifles to be in as-issued condition.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy