Author Topic: .22 lever action with side loading?  (Read 7910 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
.22 lever action with side loading?
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
has anyone seen a .22LR levergun where you would load from the receiver (like most 30-30's) rather than the end of the barrel.  
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: .22 lever action with side loading?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
Does Henry have that?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
not the ones that i have seen.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
No.

And it would be harder to use a loading gate for the ittybitty .22 than the standard tube. Better solution would be the buttstock arrangment that some .22s use. Or box mag fed like my 96/22. 25 rounds on tap and reloaded in seconds.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
Or box mag fed like my 96/22. 25 rounds on tap and reloaded in seconds.

I've got an old Marlin 56 that's detachable box magazine fed.  I guess it wasn't very popular while the Marlin 57 version with a tube mag was.

Interesting little critter.  The lever only needs to swing a couple of inches so you can run the action while still keeping your grip.  Just spread open your hand and close it back up and the next shot is ready.  It's pretty fun.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
NO

Remember, the original Henry .44 rimfire loaded in a similar manner to .22 tubefeed.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
Since the topic is open, I'm gonna hijack it....

If you shoot a tube-fed .22 empty & don't have time to reload the tube, can you single-load it from the top?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
I've always thought a tube magazine with no loading gate (just the cartridge-shaped hole near the front style with the "tensioning insert," as it were) was probably one of the stupidest ideas ever to use in a firearm, much less one that has stood the test of time.  Yes, let's force the user to point their gun in an unsafe direction and put their hands near the muzzle while they're loading it.  :facepalm:

My first rifle (Marlin 60) was that way. Made learning the Four Rules a lot more annoying.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
I've always thought a tube magazine with no loading gate (just the cartridge-shaped hole near the front style with the "tensioning insert," as it were) was probably one of the stupidest ideas ever to use in a firearm, much less one that has stood the test of time.  Yes, let's force the user to point their gun in an unsafe direction and put their hands near the muzzle while they're loading it.  :facepalm:

My first rifle (Marlin 60) was that way. Made learning the Four Rules a lot more annoying.

yes, that's why I like the buttstock tube or a detachable box mag better. I have never liked the .22 style tube magazine weapons.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »

If you shoot a tube-fed .22 empty & don't have time to reload the tube, can you single-load it from the top?

yes, but it can be a pain to do, depending on the model.

No.

And it would be harder to use a loading gate for the ittybitty .22 than the standard tube. Better solution would be the buttstock arrangment that some .22s use. Or box mag fed like my 96/22. 25 rounds on tap and reloaded in seconds.

i like the idea of reloading with a mag, but it really kills the asthetics of a leveraction.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:40:53 PM by geronimotwo »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »

If you get to that point, you really should have brought a bigger gun  :O

Or you could get an old single shot Ithaca 49  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
I've always thought a tube magazine with no loading gate (just the cartridge-shaped hole near the front style with the "tensioning insert," as it were) was probably one of the stupidest ideas ever to use in a firearm, much less one that has stood the test of time.  Yes, let's force the user to point their gun in an unsafe direction and put their hands near the muzzle while they're loading it.  :facepalm:

Contrary to some I guess, I was taught that pointing up or in the dirt WERE safe directions.  Any other way was pointing it at someone or something.  Anyway, you can load it without putting your hands over the muzzle and you can at least open the action first.  
I figure the tube mag under the barrel is just easier to design.  

I shot one of these a lot growing up.  I always thought it was a good gun to learn with.  All the controls are manual.  You have load each round, close the action, aim, and pull back the hammer.  It also makes a good rifle to learn to safely drop the hammer down.  It was very accurate too.

I've never seen a .22 LR that used a loading gate.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:14:55 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
I'm thinking the .22 rf rounds might not be robust enough to stand up to loading gate loading.
That and if you need to unload it is pretty easy to pop the tube and dump the magazine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
but it really kills the asthetics of a leveraction.

The nice thing about the 96/22 is that the factory mag is a flush fitting unit. The 25 rd 10/22 mag is completely optional. But really fun.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
If you get to that point, you really should have brought a bigger gun  :O

Sometimes you got to run with what you brung.....  [ar15]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.