Author Topic: Suggestions for a dinner party  (Read 6133 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Suggestions for a dinner party
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
Tomorrow night I will be joined by 3 folks: a friend from cali, his gf [a self described foodie], and a light friend from work who is one of those vegan types that can eat fish.  I haven't hosted in awhile, and am fairly pleased at having a good reason to clean my place up.  

My brother has a chicken coop, so I plan on using some of those ultra fresh eggs to made deviled eggs [should please the foodie].  Deviled eggs are a specialty of mine.

I think the couple is bringing some sushi.  Work friend will be bringing cake.

Soo, what in the world should I make?  I've a full kitchen and fair shopping opportunity, but am at skill level of bachelor.  

:edited for spelling/fear of further mockery:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:54:33 PM by Ned Hamford »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Suggestions for a dinner party
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:45:26 PM »
"a chicken coup"

The chickens took over?

OMG!!

We say hail to our new avian overlords!

How about whole sea bass in a salt dome?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
Spam and canned cranberry sauce dumped right from the can... on paper plates.  Served with Velveeta and some saltine crackers, of course.

(Orange glazed chicken on wild rice is nice, and it's bachelor-skill-level friendly.)

Brad
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:08:57 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »
Fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Formerly sumpnz

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »
Eggs for a vegan is a nice choice.

I say go out to the yard and just pull up some grass and dandelions. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
Actually a dandelion salad is pretty darn good. (you use the young leaves, not those from a mature plant).

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
A party without kimchi is just too bland.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:33:16 PM »
Soo, what in the world should I make?  I've a full kitchen and fair shopping opportunity, but am at skill level of bachelor. 
You could throw a Titus Andronicus-themed party.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:07:46 AM »

I don't think my oven is large enough. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:14:38 AM »
Cook a lot of pig and serve plenty of beverages.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
Chicken Cacciatore is one of my normal dinner party meal. I usually make Tuscan style with olives and I like to use rabbit instead of chicken if I can find it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
You've got protein on deck. A classy salad (caesar/spinach/mesclun with vinaigrette) would be a light, elegant veggie accompaniment. Crudite with a light dip or roasted vegetables (stuffed tomatoes or zucchini are nice) would be other options. An appetizer bread like focaccia or bruschetta might be a nice balance.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »
If your friends are bring sushi, I'd skip the sea bass Irwin suggested though that would have been my first choice otherwise. I'd go with a simple grilled (but seasoned of course) chicken breast or steak and slice up an eggplant and cook it exactly the same as you cook the steak or chicken for your vegan friend. Then your choice of a rice dish, steamed (or grilled) baby asparagus, and sliced tomatoes topped with fresh mozzarella, diced fresh basil and drizzled with olive oil or a dollop of pesto for your "salad." If you want a couple simple chicken/steak options, PM me. I'll include directions for timing it so it's all finished at the same time. Have fun!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
The couple cancelled 2 hours before meal time... I let the other fellow know, so no dinner party tonight.

My entire day was spent on home improvements, cleaning, and cooking.  Luckily the benefits of all carry despite the lack of hosting.

I'll try and host a more reliable group next week.  Best friend and his wife are visiting from Maine for Thanksgiving.  And their culinary preferences not only match my own but are also preferences rather than requirements.  If its not religious or an allergy/health matter, I do view it as an imposition.

My own fault for going out of my way to attempt to please a self described 'foodie.'

I should get a group together for a Hamfest   =D

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Spam and canned cranberry sauce dumped right from the can... on paper plates.  Served with Velveeta and some saltine crackers, of course.

I was thinking MickyD's carryout, myself.

Something to offend everyone.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
The couple cancelled 2 hours before meal time... I let the other fellow know, so no dinner party tonight.

My entire day was spent on home improvements, cleaning, and cooking.  Luckily the benefits of all carry despite the lack of hosting.

I'll try and host a more reliable group next week.  Best friend and his wife are visiting from Maine for Thanksgiving.  And their culinary preferences not only match my own but are also preferences rather than requirements.  If its not religious or an allergy/health matter, I do view it as an imposition.

My own fault for going out of my way to attempt to please a self described 'foodie.'

I should get a group together for a Hamfest   =D

That is just pure BS.  Hope they had a good excuse for waiting so long to cancel.  Anything short of an emergency they should have canceled at least 24 hours in advance.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
Ned: Where ya' live, man? Free food's good. I'll eat dang near anything and appreciate, really appreciate, good food! Seriously, i rarely eat out: I'm a triage nurse and you'd cringe if you saw some of the critters that were around your food.

Easy appetizer: multigrain baguette (long skinny bread loaf for you gourmands!), I get mine fron Kroger.Sliced about 1/2" thick, toasted. sprinkle with gargonzola & drizzle with honey. Knock your socks off!

Chicken Kiev, steamed asparagus & rice.

Bon appetite!
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
That is just pure BS.  Hope they had a good excuse for waiting so long to cancel.  Anything short of an emergency they should have canceled at least 24 hours in advance.

Yep, friends who bail on an engagement because they got a better offer are not really friends...  that earns a demotion to acquaintance.  This is assuming that was the case here.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
Well, I got a text message saying they can't make it, are staying at the house they are crashing at, few minutes later fellow made a facebook post to a mutual friend with 6 spelling errors... I think they are doing a bit of a bender.

I made mention that I had prepared for the evening, invited them to try again tomorrow.

Courtesy ends there tho. 

I also do wonder if I was getting along a little too well with his gf...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
Hire these guys to prepare you next meal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfEZC8eG1_Y

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
Well, I got a text message saying they can't make it, are staying at the house they are crashing at, few minutes later fellow made a facebook post to a mutual friend with 6 spelling errors... I think they are doing a bit of a bender.

I made mention that I had prepared for the evening, invited them to try again tomorrow.

Courtesy ends there tho. 

I also do wonder if I was getting along a little too well with his gf...

If they show up, make mac and cheese. You could even splurge for the Velveta shells and cheese if you are still feeling an obligation to provide a "nice" dinner for them.

Be sure to talk about how good the deviled eggs you had prepared for yesterday's dinner were, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »
And they cancelled by TEXT?!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »

My sentiments exactly.  Not only that, but they couldn't be bothered with staying sober enough to follow through on a commitment that involved effort and preparation on someone else's part.  That's nothing more or less than pure, selfish irresponsibility.  It's one thing to cancel last minute on an informal "want to hang out in the garage this evening and have a beer?" invite (but you still do it with a phone call, not by friggin text).  It's quite another to cancel on a planned semi-formal event because you're a self-centered idiot.

They just lost their ability to request anything in relation to a future engagement, much less to require certain types of atmosphere or food.  If they want to do it again then they do it on YOUR terms.  Given the person's personal habits I say the appetizer should be chicken or turkey wraps and the main course a sizzling steak, medium rare.  Wrapped in bacon, of course.  Also, I'd be very tempted to light up a big, fat stogie right in the middle of dinner just to drive home the point.  (Can you tell stuff like this raises my hackles?)

Brad
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:11:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »

Wasn't he the Roman general who destroyed the 2nd Temple in Jerusalem?  ???
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »

OK, the burning of Jerusalem (metaphorically speaking) makes more sense now.
"It's good, though..."