Author Topic: Best deal on Kitchen Aid mixers?  (Read 2066 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Best deal on Kitchen Aid mixers?
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
The missus has long admired the Kitchen Aid mixers, and I'd kinda like to get her one for Christmas. A store nearby has refurbs for $150.  Is that going to be about the best I can do, or is there a better deal out there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Best deal on Kitchen Aid mixers?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »
Depends upon what type of mixer.  Is it a bowl lift or a tilt-head?  How many quarts?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »
That sounds like a pretty fair deal on a KitchenAid. I recommend the tilt-body style. Bowl lift (which I have) is cumbersome.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »
Depends upon what type of mixer.  Is it a bowl lift or a tilt-head?  How many quarts?

There are different kinds? I don't know, I assume she wants the tilty-head kind, since that was the only type I was aware of. We were walking past the store, so I couldn't look too hard or go inside. Must be a surprise.  =)

From what I can see on the web, the tilters come in 4.5 and 5 quart. I guess either would be fine.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
Well, thanks all, but I've just mooted the point by purchasing at the aforementioned place of commerce.

Your new task: think of yummy things she'll have to make for me with the pricey Christmas gift.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
Pizza/bread dough, cake batter and frosting, you name it. Add some motor accessories (Slicers/grinders/pasta rollers/etc.) and the sky's the limit.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »
Kinda funny - SWMBO and I just got our first KitchenAid mixer...  We went for the prosumer model - 6 qt, bowl lift, 575 watt motor.  Local store here had them for $250 after $100 off in store and $50 mail in rebate. Which actually beat the price Costco had the next one down for.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »
I have had an almond-colored K5SS 5 quart bowl lift KA mixer since the mid 1980's.  I use it at least once a week. If you like baking, like I do, it is one of the most useful things you can own. I fought to make sure that I got it in the first divorce.  She got the food processor, instead. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »
Well, thanks all, but I've just mooted the point by purchasing at the aforementioned place of commerce.

Your new task: think of yummy things she'll have to make for me with the pricey Christmas gift.

With ours wife makes cakes. I make cheesecakes, bread/pizza dough, meatloaf, pies, custard, cake, and whatever else needs to be mixed with it.

I also have a couple attachments and use the meat grinder to grind a few pounds of meat (beef, deer, pork, chicken, turkey or lamb) to make fresh sausage.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »
Welcome to the fold
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
Check here http://www.marbeck.com/ for accessories so you can make more goodness.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
A friend of mine just got married and they received one as a wedding gift.  His mother-in-law then informed them that she had one in her attic that they could have instead.  She had received it as a wedding gift 30 years ago and never even opened it!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »
Don't know if this applies to all of them or not, but mine came with a warning not to try to knead doughs on anything but power setting 2.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »
Don't know if this applies to all of them or not, but mine came with a warning not to try to knead doughs on anything but power setting 2.

Ditto - the dough hook is only to be used on 2....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »

Same with our mixer
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
i know the "smaller" ones get plenty hot after an hour of grinding walnuts.

speeding up the motor doesn't increase the thru put of useful nut paste

we had an industrial Hobart in the pizza shop for dough,
now thats a mixer

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
sorry if i missed any, but here's one vote for the bowl lift. =) less to mess up. ie, no flexing wires.

further, there are some that have plastic gears(the case at least, this phenol is doing a number on me), and some with metal, it's well worth paying the extra.

the grinder isn't really as handy as you'd think. but it does work well. if you get one with the extra little clips to hold the bowl in place don't lose them, for stiff pasta/bread dough you'll need them.

try to get the non-porcelain coated hook and blade, they chip. if you have light counters stick something under it the first time you use it, the feet on mine were marking for the first year or three.

and yes, you'll use it. just don't mix a shoo-fly pie in it, turns it into a cake. :facepalm:

oh, and NEVER lay it on it's side. makes a BIG mess. :'(

edit: and get the plastic bowl guard, and the lids for the bowl.(pretty sure there's more then one kind of each) the first cuts down on the flour cloud, the later keeps the bowl clean between uses. [popcorn]

as for deals, sam's(ect[where i got mine]) and amazon lighting deals(where i'm getting my next[planing on getting one that won't stick out so much in the kitchen :angel:])
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:12:25 PM by sanglant »

ssn vet

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
We have the tilt head and it's indestructable....

Worth what they cost, imho...

If I live long enough, I expect my grand daughters will be making me baked goods with the same one I got my wife for Chrismas years ago.

I've eaten many a mashed potatoe from ours....
"aint no slack in fast attack"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
i know the "smaller" ones get plenty hot after an hour of grinding walnuts.

Walnuts are Satan's candy, and are not allowed in my kitchen.  =)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »
We have the tilt head and it's indestructable....

Indeed.

My first kitchen aid (tilt head) literally kept on trucking after being dropped down a flight of stairs, falling out of a moving truck, and general use and abuse above the volume it was designed to handle. It did eventually die due to idiocy on my part.

It was replaced with a bowl lift model. I will say that I think the older model had more power as the new one has a tendency to bind up more easily when kneading dough. Between the two they both have pluses and minuses.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:24 PM »
KitchenAid Pro 500 Stand Mixer 5 colors - KSM500 - NEW!! for $189.99 after rebate plus a 1 year magazine subscription

KitchenAid Pro 500 Stand Mixer - KSM500 - NEW!!

5 colors to choose from:
White
Empire Red
Onyx Black
Buttercup
Blue Willow

$30 Cash Back by mail and a 1-year subscription to
Food & Wine or Travel + Leisure with purchase of select 5 qt. Stand Mixers
Offer Valid: 11/13/11 to 12/10/11

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1142527/
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
I did indeed learn that the pretty colors cost more. But the cheaper, whiter one was safest. In our last house, the kitchen theme was red, white and black. The current kitchen is white, pink and green. I think I made the right choice.  ;)

Believe it or not, I think I could get one of those for free if I wanted to. If I remember correctly, I've seen a big mixer like that, that's been sitting around for years, in a certain location to which I have access.

Not that our kitchen is large enough for it. Or our house, for that matter.  

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
I did indeed learn that the pretty colors cost more. But the cheaper, whiter one was safest. In our last house, the kitchen theme was red, white and black. The current kitchen is white, pink and green. I think I made the right choice.  ;)

Believe it or not, I think I could get one of those for free if I wanted to. If I remember correctly, I've seen a big mixer like that, that's been sitting around for years, in a certain location to which I have access.

Not that our kitchen is large enough for it. Or our house, for that matter.  

Garage?

I remember growing up, we used to go to my grandparents restaurant in Pearland, TX.  They had a huge mixer like that.  When the restaurant was closed and the adults were talking, the kids* would turn it on to one and ride on the hook.  It was a blast.

*3, 3, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 11

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
The commercial Hobart floor mixers are truly great. They are the only device I have never seen fail in aging and outdated food service kitchens. I have never even seen one serviced for an oil change, though the timer has gone bad on one of them. They will mix 80lbs of meat plus all other ingredients for meatloaf in one 35 gallon bowl. They will break aluminum paddles before slowing down. There was one old timer, retired and come back to work part time, who had his hand degloved decades earlier by the very same mixer I was using.

At home I use a Kitchenaid Professional 5 (350 watt) mixer with a bowl lift. The hinged model is more user friendly for the home cook but the bowl lift is just so much more.... industrial. They are a true kitchen classic and you just can't go wrong with them. The accessories are too expensive to bother with IMO. Most stand alone devices can be found for about the cost of an attachment and unlike Alton Brown I do believe in uni-taskers. How many of us have drawers full of useless multi-tools that don't do anything well?

I cannot imagine kids riding the dough hook of an industrial mixer ??? Getting busted in the mouth with that would be worse than taking a hit from a heavyweight wearing brass knuckles. On high speed it would probably just crack your head wide open!