Author Topic: Tell me about southern NH.  (Read 874 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Tell me about southern NH.
« on: May 10, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »
We have decided to move to southern NH.

We want to be within a reasonable driving distance of Boston, say 1.5 hours, or close to the Amtrak line for an easy commute into BOS airport.

I've found some basic information from the FreeStateProject.com website, but I'd like to know more about the area.

Basically, where are the good areas to live near?  Any areas to avoid due to overpricing or crime rate?

We would like to have (ideally) a small house, under 2,000 sf, on some acreage large enough for informal shooting.  Other considerations include availability of shopping, dining, etc.

We prefer the newer style houses over the traditional styles of the area (siding and barn shapes).

We don't have kids, so school districts are not an issue.

All info is appreciated.  Thanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »
I'm in Concord.  I love it.  Crime is low, etc.  There is not a train that I know of, but there is a bus from Concord to South Station and BOS.

What else do you want to know?

From what I know, Manchester has a higher crime rate than most of the rest of the state.  This is what I have heard, I have not studied any stats myself.

How much do you want to spend on a house?  I also know an awesome realtor in southern NH.  Let me know...
One day at a time.

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:30:01 PM »
Tell you about southern NH?  I can't - it's under water right now . . . Tongue

However, I've driven through there many times, and have friends who live there.  Very pleasant, if a bit overcrowded - too many Mass residents moving there.  I'd prefer to live further North, past Manchester.  Laconia and the Lakes district are great.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »
That area of Vermont and New Hampshire is some of the most incredibly gorgeous country I've ever been in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 10:07:10 AM »
Thanks, gents.

ex-ma hole, according to Amtrak there is a line that runs along the coast between BOS and southern Maine.  My wife likes the idea of having a quick and easy trip into BOS, especially during the winter.  I'd prefer to have more elbow room, like about 20 to 50 acres. Smiley

We started looking at the Nashua/Manchester area, but we also like the coast, say Exeter or Portsmith.  I know that we will have a bit of a sticker shock when it comes to buying a house, but $300k to $330k should be doable.

How's the drive from Manchester to BOS airport?  How about in winter?

We don't have a realtor, yet, so I'm open to talking to your realtor.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 10:48:45 AM »
I'd have to say that from my limited driving in New England in the winter that they do a pretty good job with the roads.

I have to admit, though, that I was kind of non plussed when I stopped my car by the edge of the road while my ex-mother-in-law (whom we were following) tried to figure out where we were. I got out and was walking on the "road" when I realized it wasn't a road at all, it was a road covered in about 10 inches of compacted snow and ice, loaded with enough gravel and sand to make it a very effective road surface.

Granted, that was a secondary road in the countryside some miles outside of Bangor, but it was a curious feeling none the less.

The winter we were up there for Christmas was absolutely brutal. One night at the lodge we were staying at on Phillips Lake (I think that was the place) the thermometer on the front porch read 32 degrees BELOW zero. Most of that entire week was spent below zero, and not a single day even flirted with freezing.

The coolest thing was my ex-wife's aunt had a house on a hill with just an absolutely INCREDIBLE view out over Penobscot Bay.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:01:52 AM »
Snow removal is down to a science out there.  I was there during the Noreaster of January 2005.  I flew in in the middle of the snow and had no problems walking about downtown Boston in 4 feet of snow.

However, when I go in June the weather is usually better.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.