Author Topic: Cold Steel City Stick, the "Real" One?  (Read 3980 times)

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
  • Do what's Right, not just what's easy.
Cold Steel City Stick, the "Real" One?
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
Back when I had the broken leg, I thought it a good excuse to buy a Cold Steel City Stick. I preferred the plain stainless head, but they had a "closeout sale" on the skull head as www.ltspecpro.com so I bought that.

More recently, my youngest son took the stick outside more than once while I was not home, and beat the crap out of it on a large rock outside. I think I'll eventually be able to buff out some of the damage to the head, using a wire wheel. The shaft will never look the same, but it's not as bad as it could be.

Still, I decided I'd go ahead and get the plain stainless steel headed stick I'd wanted all along. But they've stopped making it. Twice now, I've been fooled by product descriptions that have not been updated; I've ended up with the new aluminum headed stick, and had to return it. I learned the hard way to always contact the seller first. I hate the balance of the aluminum headed City Stick. If I was worried about light weight, I'd buy the Slim Stick, but you couldn't pay me to have the aluminum headed City Stick.

Does anyone know where I can find a nice (doesn't have to be new, only clean) plain stainless steel headed Cold Steel City Stick?
Well, in the first place an armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.  For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization. - R. A. Heinlein, Claude Mordan to Hamilton Felix, in Beyond This Horizon

brimic

• friends
Re: Cold Steel City Stick, the "Real" One?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:18:40 PM »
Just drop all pretension and get the warhammer. =D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »
Have someone make a new head for the cane on a lathe?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »
Have someone make a new head for the cane on a lathe?
Exactly what I was thinking!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
LOL!  Yeah, just put a warhammer head on my cane shaft !

You know, I have been thinking about getting one of my Machinist friends to make a stainless head. 

Heck, I could base it on a large stainless hex nut, then alternately engrave "sometimes you feel like a nut" and "sometimes you don't" on the flats...  =D
Well, in the first place an armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.  For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization. - R. A. Heinlein, Claude Mordan to Hamilton Felix, in Beyond This Horizon

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
back when I had ACL surgery - I had one of these
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bubba+stick&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4242445627&ref=pd_sl_ax8b8fq96_e 

I liked it a lot, not sure if the color is good for you but it was a solid cane.
I've thought about getting a new one because I long ago lot the old one but
A: don't need it.
B: I carry now that I'm not in cali.

Thanks for the after report though, its good to know those cold steel canes stand up to abuse.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »
I must admit that "Bubba Stick" has a certain style.  =D

I like the City Stick because the 11 layer fiberglass shaft is much stronger than wood.  In their demo video they span it between two concrete blocks then two big guys, 595 lbs. total, stand on it and it only flexes.  Then they use the head to shatter concrete blocks.  I don't know if they've changed their video yet, but I'm sure the lighter aluminum headed version isn't quite as effective.  And for me, the balance sucks. I liked the "counterbalance" effect of the heavy stainless head -- sort of like having weight in the pommel of a sword, you could get real speed with the shaft of the cane.  

Unless I run into a new/old City Stick, low miles on a plain stainless model, I'll probably end up making another head for mine.  Oh well, it will be a fun project --- as if I didn't already have a hundred or so projects and no time...   ;/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:09:42 PM by Hamilton Felix »

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
There was a company that made walking sticks with warhammer style handles.
They used mild steel, however.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 05:01:54 PM »
I can't believe a Cold Steel thread lasted this long without a lot of hatin'.  :O  Call Guinness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
Heh, heh... Does Cold Steel have a habit of ticking people off? 

Hey, those Zombie Eradication Tools are something!  Maybe I should make a head for my cane from a spider or side gear.  I'm sure there's an old differential around somewhere.... 

=D

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »
Why not just machine the features of the skull down?

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
That might be a worthwhile experiment.  It would lose some weight and size - especially if I kept going until the eye sockets were gone.  But it is already a head that fits. 

I suppose I could get a spider or side gear from a differential and weld it on like this: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ZdaySurvivor47

One could call it a real "Gearhead's Cane."   ;)

I do like the general shape and appearance of the plain stainless head.  But if I'm serious about making my own, I owe it to myself to let my imagination run for a while...  =D

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »
I can't believe a Cold Steel thread lasted this long without a lot of hatin'.  shocked  Call Guinness.

Sometimes they make things that aren't overtly stupid.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
They are offering a different walking stick that may suit you...

http://www.coldsteel.com/slim-stick.html

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:17 AM »
That Slim Stick is interesting, for its very light weight. 
Oneday I may try one. 
But I like the sheer "indestructible bludgeon" durability of the original steel headed City Stick.
And with the counterbalance of that stainless head in one's hand, the stick feels pretty fast.