Author Topic: motorcycle?  (Read 15329 times)

dm1333

• friend
Re: motorcycle?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
I'd prefer to stay away from Harleys since they have a bad mechanical reputation and are all pretention and little substance, nowadays.  It's an extra $1000 to throw down the toilet, comparing a 883 or 1200 sportster to some of the other offerings from honda/yamaha/suzuki.

Ummmm, a bad mechanical reputation according to whom?  I've owned two Sportsters and currently own an FXR.  All have been rock solid reliable, as in no break downs whatsoever.  The Jap bikes I owned were not that reliable. I'd much rather throw down an extra $1000 on the Sportser than a Jap cruiser because of the parts availability and aftermarket support.  As far as pretention and substance I'd suggest you take a much closer look at bike riders in general.  There are some people out there who rack up a lot of miles, there are some who commute everyday in all kinds of weather and then there are the vast multitudes who view a bike as a toy or something to make them look cool no matter what the brand or style of bike is.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »
Oh also - on any given day, if you get up and just aren't feeling on your game - maybe drank a bit too much last night, or are coming down with something, or just even up late, forget the bike and take the truck.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
Have you considered the KLR 650 and DR650?  Both have been in production for ever and they get good mileage.  If I was going to give up my Harley it would be for a DR650 and a bunch of super moto parts.  I don't remember if you listed a price range here but I'm pretty sure a new DR650 lists for a little more than $5000. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 03:16:09 PM »
What about one of these?....seem a little safer....

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/discover/discover-roadster.aspx

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »

You can buy a decent small car for the price of one of those.  =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
Have you considered the KLR 650 and DR650?  Both have been in production for ever and they get good mileage.  If I was going to give up my Harley it would be for a DR650 and a bunch of super moto parts.  I don't remember if you listed a price range here but I'm pretty sure a new DR650 lists for a little more than $5000. 

Yuck.  Not want.

Also not want.

Here's the thread I started on the topic of motorcycling safety: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=29813.0

That said; motorcycling is very fun.  Yes, there is some risk, some of which can be managed or mitigated, some can not.

If you're doing this purly for economic reasons, don't.  Sell your truck on the private market, and buy an economy car.

Like I said, I've wanted a bike ever since college.  Been "practical" in my purchasing and haven't committed to one so far because I've been waiting for a time that I have no car payment, along with also owning-full-out a reliable set of 4 wheels.  I'm at that point, today.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
OK, durn thread getting to long for me to read everything.

AZ, you're a bigger guy, you need at least a 750, get old used bike first because if you're just starting out you'll drop it a few times.

Then ( if I were you ) I'd get any of the large Japanese cruisers ( because you said you want cruisers ) in a pinch you can take a cruiser on gravel, I take my CBR600 on gravel but that's only because its my only vehicle & I need to get to point A & B - the gravel roads around here suck - my next bike if I ever earn money again will be a DR or KLR for local riding and even though I'm smaller then you ( 5"9 180 ) I'm hoping to get a big cruiser sometime, like maybe a V Star or Intruder.

For commuting & fun errand running M/C's are awesome - they suck at grocery shopping & carrying rifles ( I know because I've had to )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
I recently saw a Groupon for an intro class in Gilbert:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/team-arizona-motorcyclist-training?c=button&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&s=body&utm_campaign=team-arizona-motorcyclist-training&p=5&division=phoenix&date=20111203&utm_content=all-deals_phoenix&sid=11035944&addxe=UkVEQklSRDcyQE1FLkNPTQ==&user=bb6165c5394347aa116662d6b3cce67f9e0810b1b4cc734767ff3c56aef4ddc4

Bought.  Thx.

Will be taking this basic class this month, and the more comprehensive intro class next month.  Probably will commit to at least the "Intermediate" level courses prior to actually commuting on a bike.  If I like the basic and Intro courses, I'll buy a bike and use my own in the Intermediate class rather than the facility-provided bikes.

Thx, guys. 

I should be getting about 80 hours of vacation time cashed out at the old job when swapping to the new one, so that'll be my down payment on a bike in early January I think.  I'll set aside about $500 for helmet/jacket/etc and use $1000-$1500 for a down payment.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Call me an old fogey but if I had two grand for a down payment and protective gear I would buy a good helmet, jacket, pants and a set of gloves and then use what is left over for a down payment.  I have a very nice leather jacket (Hein Gericke, bought in 1994 and still in great shape) but the fabric riding gear I have been seeing lately is pretty impressive.  The days of me riding in a helmet, gloves and tee shirt are LONNNNNGGGGG gone, luckily I never took a slide down the highway while wearing crappy stuff like that.

It's good that you are taking a riding course, my riding courses saved my butt on HWY 101 one time.  I glanced away from the road for a second and when I looked back everybody in front of me was coming to a screeching halt.  I locked up my rear brake but knew enough to keep it locked.  I might have looked pretty cool skidding down the road sideways like a flat tracker but I had to replace both my shorts and my rear tire after that.   

Have you considered a Suzuki SV650?  That is another favorite of mine, light, flickable, plenty of torque and no reliability problems as far as a know.  The riding postion is pretty comfortable (I've ridden an older carbureted model and a newer fuel injected bike), it is liquid cooled and with the right exhaust has a great v-twin growl.  The two owners both said they got great mileage when they could keep their right wrist under control.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
I've been riding on the street since I was 16, several years of offroad riding prior to that.
I have always lived by the assumption that 99.9% of all motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclist's fault. period.
Situational awareness and constant absorption of knowledge, is all you need to avoid 99% of those accidents.
You should accept responsibility for all the activity on the road.
Drive for the other drivers, and just ensure your always ahead of traffic, not because you can speed past them but for the safety factor.  Stay sober and avoid the temptation to listen to music.  Wear earplugs under your helmet not just to save your hearing but to increase your ability to hear (yeah I know it sounds counter intuitive but it's true)

I've had 7 accidents on the street and all I've received is a healthy dose of road rash (1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns, back when I was dumb and didn't have leather on.) a couple of severe rackings (lets just say they left dimples in the tank on both occasions) and my left knee makes some strange noises when I walk. Sure a fair amount of luck (if you believe in that crap) 3 of those accidents I spared myself more severe of an accident thanks to my reacting. The other 4 were when I was younger dumber and were solo wrecks.
Take it for what it's worth.   
The organ donor crap comes from people talking to ER nurses.   Hello that's all they ever see, the accidents that are severe enough to end up in the ER. 
I'm not saying it's not a possibility.  But I'd be willing to bet if you had a camera over their shoulder it was most likely the motorcyclist's fault.  Simply because they allowed a lapse in situational awareness.

Be hard on yourself and hold yourself to the highest standard, you'll be better off than most of the cyclist out there.
JMHO
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
Ignore the cost benefit analysis. If you want to ride, ride. If you want to save money, carpool. I commute and run errands every day by motorcycle and have done so since the first day of getting my license about 5 years ago. Distances are usually under 5 miles a day through campus and urban areas, frequently in rain and worse. Nine to ten months of riding a year is unusual in this climate and frankly that's pushing the reality of life on two wheels. As often as I avoid my old pickup truck I don't come anywhere near saving money but I also keep two bikes registered and insured. If I include protective gear, wear items, maintenance, damaged parts replacement, tools for self service, and even a few medical bills in my expenses I would have $10k in the bank and a new fuel efficient car on the road.

I also would not have the finest experiences of my life and some very good friends. Riding can be quite esoteric. Depending on your involvement with the machine and the lifestyle it can become equal parts physical and metaphysical. You have to make allowances for it and accept it for what it is. It is many things but it is not good for the bottom line.

Do it for yourself first and then see how it becomes a part of your life. You may love it but find riding every day to be impractical even if it's affordable.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
I have always lived by the assumption that 99.9% of all motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclist's fault. period.

I get your point that it's the motorcyclist's fault for not being aware, but the last AMA stats I saw said that 75% of motorcycle accidents were legally the fault of automobile drivers.

Another study said that alcohol is involved in over 90% of motorcycle fatalities. Even when I was drinking heavily, I never rode after even one beer.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:42:10 PM by Monkeyleg »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »
If you are 6' or better the Sportster will likely cramp you up like a pretzel.
Nope, no such problems here and I'm 6'4 250lbs and ride a 20 year old 883 Hugger (same as current 'Low' models). Forward controls and the right saddle make it very comfortable.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 12:59:05 AM »
Almost all accidents I had was during my drinking/partying days.

Once though, a Probation officer on duty in a state car made a totally stupid illegal left turn into oncoming traffic - I had to lay the bike down.

The  out come was I got more then what the bike and gear cost me.
A used Arai helmet netted bucks, as well as it would have cost more then what I spent on buying the bike to get it fixed, so I kept the cash and got a better bike. 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 01:12:20 AM »
My only advice.

Buy good riding boots with some of that money.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 01:39:33 AM »
>they suck at grocery shopping & carrying rifles<

Done both on every bike I've had. Never had problems...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:08 AM »
I had to lay the bike down.

BS. You crashed. In ALL circumstances, the bike will stop faster using the brakes than it will sliding on it's side.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
BS. You crashed. In ALL circumstances, the bike will stop faster using the brakes than it will sliding on it's side.

This. If you lay down a half second before impact, for example, that's a half second of braking and evading you missed out on.

There is NO circumstance where laying the bike down is better than maintaining control and attempting to evade.

Sources: I'm a  longtime rider and MSF instructor.

Also:

All the gear, all the time.

Full face helmet. Motorcycle specific gloves. Jacket. Overpants. Motorcycle specific (semi-crush proof) boots. Reflective vest, no matter how goofy you think it looks.

ANd yeah. Motorcycling is continuing education. After the BRC, take all the other courses you can get, and PRACTICE your evasive maneuvers. Spend a day every so often practicing emergency braking, quick swerves, etc.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
--Lysander Spooner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Drivers in states where lane-splitting is legal seem to be okay with it, although it still requires some extra caution on the rider's part.

Some drivers in states where it's not legal seem to go out of their way to hurt you. I've had drivers open their doors suddenly, or quickly pull over to block me, or make other maneuvers designed to cause a crash. Had that happen in Salt Lake City one time. I'd left the Grand Tetons that morning wearing long underwear because it was very cold. I got to Salt Lake City in time for rush hour and construction, and temps in the 90's. I couldn't exactly pull over and undress, and so wanted to exit quickly to go to a gas station to take off the long underwear. Drivers were doing everything possible to block me and keep me sweating.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
Drivers in states where lane-splitting is legal seem to be okay with it, although it still requires some extra caution on the rider's part.

Some drivers in states where it's not legal seem to go out of their way to hurt you. I've had drivers open their doors suddenly, or quickly pull over to block me, or make other maneuvers designed to cause a crash. Had that happen in Salt Lake City one time. I'd left the Grand Tetons that morning wearing long underwear because it was very cold. I got to Salt Lake City in time for rush hour and construction, and temps in the 90's. I couldn't exactly pull over and undress, and so wanted to exit quickly to go to a gas station to take off the long underwear. Drivers were doing everything possible to block me and keep me sweating.

Most cagers have no idea of the skill and comfort issues involved with riding. It's an art, a discipline.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
bike is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
do it while you are young and single
it will reinforce situational awareness

Very true...............Kawasaki makes a real nice 650.....I would buy one but I already have three vintage Kawasaki bikes.  I have been riding for 54 years.....Did I mention that taking a babe for a ride on a bike is the easiest way to get between her knees....... :O.chris3

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
I'm 6'2" tall, about 195 lbs.

I've been told not to go too big on a first bike several times, so I don't want to get into some 1000-16000cc beast that has more power than I know how to control.  Heard several times that 600cc or bigger is plenty for solo highway travel at responsible speeds.  That the little 250's "can" do it, but they're straining at 65mph for a real adult on board.

I'd prefer to stay away from Harleys since they have a bad mechanical reputation and are all pretention and little substance, nowadays.  It's an extra $1000 to throw down the toilet, comparing a 883 or 1200 sportster to some of the other offerings from honda/yamaha/suzuki.  And, I'd rather have water-cooled than air cooled.  Not quite as "authentic" looking, but I've seen more than one harley stalled out here in the AZ summer, locked up at a long traffic light.

Honda's 745cc Shadow series is water-cooled, but the seat is only 25.9" from the ground, while the Yamaha air-cooled V-star 650 is 27.4" up.  Suzuki's 805cc C50T is 27.6" from the ground and water cooled, but I don't like the look of that particular bike.  Then again, an HD Dyna is 25.5-26.7 inches from the ground.  I'm a tall guy and I'm sure I'd probably appreciate a slightly taller bike, coming to stops frequently.  All 3 Asian cruisers are shaft driven rather than belt driven, and I hear that is MUCH lower maintenance than a belt.

For someone your size leg room will be an issue, seat height though isn't a hard and fast indicator of comfort though. You'll have to try it to see. As for the HD Dyna series they are a good choice for what you are looking, they'll do commuter duty just fine and will be good for weekend road trips.
As to Harley reliability/quality, the "reputation" in way out of date and really comes from the AMF period in the '70s. There is also the seeming need for a lot of HD owners to want to modify/customize their bikes. that sometimes lead to people that really have no business even owning motorcycle let alone having access to tools working on their own bike then not being happy with the results.
I've owned two HDs both of which have been rock solid reliable. I had over 80K miles on the first one before I sold it due to financial needs in '93. My current ride has just over 75K, a significant portion of that was my 100 mile a day commute. I did have to replace the cam chain tensioners at 50K but that design issue has been fixed.

I'm not one of those that dump on Japanese bikes, the big 4 make some decent machines but for the most part they just don't suit my sense of aesthetics. You mentioned the Suzuki C50T, I have some 1st hand experience with that bike, dad had one. It was physically bigger than my Road King, We found that out when I had to pick dad up with a flat tire, his C50 wouldn't fit on the same trailer he came and picked me up when I had a flat. I also thought it was under powered for it's weight/size. One thing I also noticed about it and a number of the other cruiser style Japanese bikes is the tendency to add large-ish bits of non-functional plastic trim for no apparent reason.

Two other makes I haven't seen mentioned are Victory and BMW. Victory makes some good solid bikes but their style doesn't suit my aesthetics either. I like some of the BMW machines and if I was in the market for a new bike today I would look hard at them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams