Author Topic: Text: Bush's Comments on NSA Activities  (Read 1268 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Text: Bush's Comments on NSA Activities
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »
I just don't believe that the government is exercising self control.  Sorry, not convinced.

May 11 1:20 PM US/Eastern
 Email this story    

By The Associated Press

Remarks by President Bush Thursday on reports of the National Security Agency building a secret database of U.S. telephone records, as transcribed by the White House:

After September the 11th, I vowed to the American people that our government would do everything within the law to protect them against another terrorist attack. As part of this effort, I authorized the National Security Agency to intercept the international communications of people with known links to al-Qaida and related terrorist organizations. In other words, if al-Qaida or their associates are making calls into the United States or out of the United States, we want to know what they're saying.

Today there are new claims about other ways we are tracking down al- Qaida to prevent attacks on America. I want to make some important points about what the government is doing and what the government is not doing.

First, our international activities strictly target al-Qaida and their known affiliates. Al-Qaida is our enemy, and we want to know their plans. Second, the government does not listen to domestic phone calls without court approval. Third, the intelligence activities I authorized are lawful and have been briefed to appropriate members of Congress, both Republican and Democrat. Fourth, the privacy of ordinary Americans is fiercely protected in all our activities.

We're not mining or trolling through the personal lives of millions of innocent Americans. Our efforts are focused on links to al-Qaida and their known affiliates. So far we've been very successful in preventing another attack on our soil.

As a general matter, every time sensitive intelligence is leaked, it hurts our ability to defeat this enemy. Our most important job is to protect the American people from another attack, and we will do so within the laws of our country.

Thank you.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »
I'll wait for actual facts to appear, after all the hyperbole about police states and so on, before commenting.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »
Anything that CAN be abused WILL be abused by the government.

I have no doubt, reasonable or otherwise, that I will see these phone charts used in federal prosecutions from drugs to tax evasion.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
Imagine President Hillary Clinton with Attorney General Schumer.  Now imagine that they have access to these records.  Scared yet?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
I'm imagining Bush and Gonzalez, and I'm already scared.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »
No one wants to argue politics anymore?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Constitutional democracy is an insidious, violent, parasitic, dangerous, failed, corrupt invention; it must be abolished.

Everyone here should see that party politics is meaningless. The state is one big entity. It matters little which rulers occupy the offices. Its entire purpose is to grow while living off of the private sector. Its direction cannot be altered within the system.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »
Quote from: mercedesrules
Quote from: fistful
Constitutional democracy is an insidious, violent, parasitic, dangerous, failed, corrupt invention; it must be abolished.

Everyone here should see that party politics is meaningless. The state is one big entity. It matters little which rulers occupy the offices. Its entire purpose is to grow while living off of the private sector. Its direction cannot be altered within the system.
Isnt that a quotation from the Iranian President's letter to Bush?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.