Poll

Now what?

Sell it as parts only?
Keep it and keep fixing it?
Drive it out to the middle of the Mojave desert, put The Doors on as loud as possible, set it on fire and watch it burn till the music is over?

Author Topic: Kudos to the F-150 gurus!  (Read 4278 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Kudos to the F-150 gurus!
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
So today I needed to take the PU full of cardboard and construction debris I had been collecting to the dump. I pulled the MAS, only broke 1 of 3 screws, cleaned it and long story short, truck runs great.

New saga, on the way to the dump I got to thinking the brakes were feeling a little squishy. Stopped to get gas, looked underneath and sure enough it's raining brake fluid. (I love my Ford) It looks like it's the line coming down the whole length of the truck to feed the rears. Meanwhile, the truck is unfathomably rusted out underneath. I mean, wow. Rusty. Body and bed? Practically immaculate. Everything underneath? Practically gone. Normally I'd just get rid of it at this pointbut it was my Dad's so it has the whole sentimental thing going on. Besides, it's a fully loaded XLT with towing and off road package and it's still handy to have around to load up with crap and take to the dump. Had it since 1998. Beautiful truck, now waning fast.  :'(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Kudos to the F-150 gurus!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
What year is it?

If it has the 5.0 make sure you hold on to that, build it up and drop into something else.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
I voted Doors till the musics over option, but keep in mind I am the worlds worst mechanic, when the check engine light comes on I stop, lift up the hood, and check...yup its still there. :cool: :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
Every spring, I paint the frame and underbody of my trucks with aerosol undercoating.  It's $15 per year well spent.

Regarding that brake line, it's usually the first one to go on any truck.  You can replace it yourself for about $20 in parts and some elbow grease.  While you're at it, since you're going to have to bleed the rear brakes, replace the bleeder screws with Speed Bleeders.  They're about six bucks a piece, which seems like a lot for a screw, but they're worth it.  They have a check valve inside that allow for easy, one-person brake bleeding.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Most major auto parts stores carry them.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Most major auto parts stores carry them.

Nifty. So far I have been just getting one of the kids to pump the pedal and open and close the regular bleeders.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Yep you can do that too.  I've done brake jobs where I didn't have a second person readily available.  Even if you do have someone handy, you can still bleed lines in half the time with the speed bleeders.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
Yep you can do that too.  I've done brake jobs where I didn't have a second person readily available.   Even if you do have someone handy, you can still bleed lines in half the time with the speed bleeders.

Pump it up, wedge a stick against the brake pedal, crawl under and crack the bleeder screw :(

Why do you think I ever got married  ???   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »
I have a 1995 Toyota T100 that suffers similar ills.

I found a local mechanic who replaced both rear brake lines, replaced fluid, and bled the system for $110.

Not throwing in the towel yet, as it has been paid off for years.

Damn road salt.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »
I may be going down a similar road in my 1995 GMC S1500 (as Jamie, not the OP's truck).  Driving down the road yesterday in a straight line, heard two small thumps from the front of the truck and the ABS idiot light came on.  I really don't think I hit anything.  I can't see anything wrong under the truck, no missing wires to the brakes.  Other than ABS is not working it brakes fine.  If I knew it was just ABS I'd be inclined to ignore it, but the thumps have me a bit worried.  It has a lot of rust too, but nothing vehicle killing yet.

There are a few other things it may need such the Sears tire monkey's think my pitman arm is loose.  Between brakes and the possibility of losing steering...  I think I'll get it looked at before I get it on the highway.

To the OP, fire is always a good answer.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
Pump it up, wedge a stick against the brake pedal, crawl under and crack the bleeder screw :(

I've done that dozens of times.  Still a pain in the ass compared to the speed bleeders.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »
I had to replace the main brake line to the rear brakes on my 1995 F250.

It was a pain in the butt, and took all day, as well as about $85 by the time I bought the double flare tool and a bendy tool, but now I have the stuff, the truck rolls along, and I have another 35ish feet of steel brake line for the next failure.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »
I had to replace the main brake line to the rear brakes on my 1995 F250.

It was a pain in the butt, and took all day, as well as about $85 by the time I bought the double flare tool and a bendy tool, but now I have the stuff, the truck rolls along, and I have another 35ish feet of steel brake line for the next failure.

You don't need either of those tools.  Buy the brake lines as they come from the auto parts store, pre-flared with fittings and all.  Bend or coil them gently by hand as needed.  There's no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
The problem with working on crap all your life is you can look at any one job and tell right away it's going to be a PITA. I know I'll do precisely the above and find my own little route while abandoning the original line in place. My main concern is the connections. Will they come apart? And what about where the rubber tube comes off the frame and goes to the axle assy? How do I make that connection now? it happens to be where the leak is. Above and out of sight. Nick?  =D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
Never mind, the way the poll is going it looks like I have a trip to the Mojave in the near future.  >:D

:lol:

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
The problem with working on crap all your life is you can look at any one job and tell right away it's going to be a PITA. I know I'll do precisely the above and find my own little route while abandoning the original line in place. My main concern is the connections. Will they come apart? And what about where the rubber tube comes off the frame and goes to the axle assy? How do I make that connection now? it happens to be where the leak is. Above and out of sight. Nick?  =D
Fix it, brother!

I figure that the average truck payment runs about $800/month.
As long as I am well, well below that I am happy - it is $9600/year.
In the last 2 months on the Toyota, I have done this:
  • Front and rear pads and shoes - me - aftermarket - $60
    Master Cylinder (rebuilt) - mechanic + aftermarket - $125
    Replace Right lower control arm (rust) - mechanic + OEM part - $425
    Replace blower motor resistor - me - aftermarket - $70 (lifetime warranty)

Inconvenient? Absolutely! Dump the truck? No way.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
When bleeding brakes, run a rubber tube from the bleeder screw into a jar with some brake fluid in it, enough to submerge the tube.  Crack open the bleeder screw and go pump the brake pedal.  Do this until no bubbles come out the tube in the jar.  Then close the bleeder screw.  Refill the master cylinder as needed.  I do this on the front brakes every year to flush out the fluid that has been exposed to high temperatures in the Texas summer.  Brakes work better that way....chris3

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
Speed bleeders is nice.  I like the old fashioned vacuum pump though.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »

Must resist the urge............... [popcorn] >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
Easy Bill...  :lol:

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
  I like the old fashioned vacuum pump though.

Is your vacuum pump Swedish?   :lol:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
Easy Bill...  :lol:

It has been a long deployment.  [tinfoil]

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
It's not my bag, baby.  =D

I've never had good luck with vacuum bleeders, I kept getting air sucked in through the bleeder threads.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
I've done that dozens of times.  Still a pain in the ass compared to the speed bleeders.

You have to remember that fire was still relatively new back then  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »
It has been a long deployment.  [tinfoil]
Not to mention the unfruitful recent visit home....... =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
You don't need either of those tools.  Buy the brake lines as they come from the auto parts store, pre-flared with fittings and all.  Bend or coil them gently by hand as needed.  There's no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

*shrugs*

It made the job easier for me.

280, at least on my truck, the rubber line's connector was firmly attached to the frame... the steel line's flare fitting screws into that from up top.  getting it all lined up wasn't real fun, but not the end of the world either.

Fair warning, the old line will be totally seized to the flare nut... you'll have to cut the line to unscrew it.