Author Topic: Vented bullets?  (Read 5363 times)

robear

• friend
Vented bullets?
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:43:07 AM »
Saw this on gizmodo.com.    Apparently they're saying that in the time it takes for the vents in the bullet to clear the muzzle to the time the base of the bullet clears the muzzle, the vents will have a 'compensating' effect, reducing recoil. 

This one really has my BS meter pegged.
The manufacturer's website has more words, but less explanation.   It was obviously cut and pasted from a google translatation.

http://gizmodo.com/5865769/the-compbullet-reduces-recoil-with-rocket-vents
http://www.compbullet.com/prodottieng.html

Thought I'd see what the hive mind has to say about this one.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Vented bullets?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:52 AM »
I say horsecrap. They probably feel light because all those bullets are offered are light for caliber standard weights. Equal and opposite reaction, the momentum has already been imparted to the bullet, so absent directional gas porting from a real muzzle brake or comp there will be no change in gun handling if shot against an identical load with a standard bullet. However, good luck finding a 100gr 9mm bullet that's not some crap made for a .380. furthermore, they should be shot just for that website.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
Nigeria is selling ammo now?

DD
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:37:20 AM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Nigeria is selling ammo now?

DD

Dear Sir/M,
I am Mr.David Mark. an Auditor of a ARMORY OF THE NORTH
INTERNATIONAL,ABUJA
(FCT). I have the courage to Crave indulgence for
this important business
believing that you will never let me down
either now or in the future. Some
years ago, an American Ammunition
consultant/ contractor with the Nigeria National
Ammunition Corporation,
made a contract for VENTED ammunition for twelve calendar
months, valued
$12M.USD (TWELVE MILLION US DOLLARS). On completion,
The
armory sent a routine notification to his forwarding address but got no
reply.
After a month, The armory sent another reminder and finally his
contract
employers, the Nigerian National Ammunition Corporation wrote
to inform the armory
that he died without MAKING A WILL, and all attempts
by the American Embassy to
trace his next of kin was fruitless. I
therefore, made further investigation and
discovered that the
beneficiary was an immigrant from Jamaica and only recently
obtained
American citizenship. He did not decla re any kin or relations in all
his official documents, including his Bank deposit paper work. This
ammuntion total value
amount$12M.USD ( TWELVE MILLION US DOLLARS)is still sitting
in my warehouse as
contracted merchandise. No one will ever come forward to claim
it, and according to
Nigerian Ammunition policy, after some years, the
ammunition will revert to the
ownership of the igerian Government if the
account owner is certified dead. This
is the situation, and my proposal
is that I am looking for a foreigner who will
stand in as the next of
kin to beneficiary, and OPEN a contract abroad to
facilitate the
transfer of this ammunition . This is simple, all you have to do is to
purchase a storage unit anywhere in the world and send me its detail for me to
arrange
the proper ammunition transfer paperwork, and facilitate the
transfer.The ammunition will
then be transfered into this storage unit for us to share
in the ratio of 60% for me, 35 %
for you and 5% for expenses that might
come up during transfer process. There is
no risk at all, and all the
paper work for this transaction will be done by me
using my position
and connections in the banks in Nigeria. This business
transaction is
guaranteed.And the first phase of the transfer will be ($4M.USD)
FOUR
MILLION DOLLARS worth of ammunition as advised by our insider in the armory.If you are
interested, please reply immediately through my personal email sending
the
following details: (1) Your Full Name/Address (2) Your Private
Telephone/fax
Number. Please observe the utmost confidentiality, and be
rest assured that this
transaction would be most profitable for both of
us because I shall require your
assistance to invest some of my share
in your country. I look forward to your
earliest reply.
Yours,
Mr.David
Mark.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »
Newton  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
For it to have a braking effect the gasses would have to be discharged at an angle, directed to the rear.  Looks to me like the holes are straight-drilled.  Unless they've figured out a way to change the laws of physics, the claims are BS.

Beside, if you want to reduce recoil by decreasing projectile velocity, wouldn't it be easier (not to mention cheaper and less complex) just to put a little less propellant in the case?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:48 AM »
How does it work?

For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
For it to have a braking effect the gasses would have to be discharged at an angle, directed to the rear.  Looks to me like the holes are straight-drilled.  Unless they've figured out a way to change the laws of physics, the claims are BS.

No (on the rear-direction), recoil can be reduced by directing the gases at ANY angle away from the direction the barrel is pointing, as due to vector addition, the average gas velocity forward is reduced.  True, angles beyond 90deg allow for the gases to partially compensate for the projectile momentum (hence, recoilless rifles), but if you look at the gas direction on most muzzle brakes (look at pictures of everything from rifles to large braked artillery, in the vast majority of cases, the direction is sideways, even for pepper-pot brakes where it would be trivial to give it backward velocity.

This bullet is still bogus stupid crap and so is the article--rifled barrels do NOT allow gas to escape ahead of the bullet (unless there is something horribly wrong)--that's why bullets are bigger in diameter than the distance between the lands.  Take the 5.56mm NATO, the distance from land to land is 5.56mm, but the bullet is 0.224", or 5.7mm (that why the 5.7x28 and 5.56x45 can use the same bullets, FN measured across the grooves to differentiate the caliber as a marketing ploy...though other countries/manufacturers have done similarly for other reasons.  Since the bullet is as big as the grooves, no gas leaks past it.  The extreme example of bullet sealing is the 50BMG, which has a 0.510 diameter bullet, which is even bigger than the distance across the grooves, as it was designed to achieve perfect sealing by swaging the bullet into the rifling.

Secondly, it takes the gasses (assuming a gas velocity equal to uzzle velocity, and a barrel filled uniformly, which isn't true, as at the instant the bullet reaches the crown, the gas distribution in the barrel is heavily biased toward the breach due to the maxwellian distribution of gas velocity) about a millisecond to leave the barrel in this case (assuming a 20-24" barrel and a 1700-2000fps muzzle velocity.  The effect this bullet is supposed to accomplish (divert gases) can not take place when the lateral ports are exposed, but the base hasn't left the muzzle...which looks to be about 2-3 times the diameter...so an inch (for a 30cal).  Which means the maximum amount of gases that could possibly be expelled (ignoring my next point) is 1/24th...or only a 4% reduction in the recoil due to the gas, which is usually 1/4 to 1/3rd the total recoil, so less than 1% recoil reduction.

Also, for the gas to escape, it has to go through those ports, which are smaller than the barrel, since the flow is going to be sonically choked, the actual amount of gas that can be diverted is less than 1/4-1/10 of the theoretical max in my previous statement, so we are down to 1/10 of 1% of recoil reduction.

However, since it is an all copper bullet of similar shape and L/D to a conventional BTHP, it will weigh less than a conventional lead core bullet (60-80% of original, which is why monometal bullets are either much longer for the same grain weight, or much lighter than conventional for the same size--e.g. 235gr solids vs 300gr conventionals for my 338lapua).  Drilling out the bullet would further reduce the mass, so these are likely 50-60% of a conventional bullet's weight.  THIS is where the apparent recoil reduction is coming from.  Even if the kinetic energy transferred to the bullet remained constant (which it doesn't, as the lighter bullet leaves the barrel sooner, resulting in less energy transfer from the gasses, and bumping into sound speed limits on the gasses for even higher velocities) a 50% lighter bullet would exit 1.414x faster, but have a momentum of 0.707x the original bullet, with a corresponding reduction in recoil (if one assumes the bullet is 75% of the recoil, this would yield a 22% recoil reduction).  In reality, the bullet would not be going 1.414x the speed, but likely 1.2-1.3x meaning the recoil reduction is even more pronounced--but only due to a lighter bullet!

And other problems, those ports are going to cause side-forces and those forces AREN'T (by definition, since the part of the bullet behind them is partially hollow) through the CG, or the center of gyration, they are going to cause increased nutation if there is even the smallest asymmetry of gas floor shape, which would render the accuracy crap.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10 for implied firearm or ballistics knowledge I give this bullet AND the original article a negative 2, which is below the "ring" or "central channel" bullet idea.
However, I do give this concept a 20 on the same scale if their target market is mall-ninjas who reload...which thanks to Darwin is a small market (btw, what happens when powder gets up in there when the loaded cartridge is turned on its side...like you know, normally..and then fired...and the burn front gets to it half-way down the barrel?), and anyone I know that reloads would look at these and have the same thoughts I did...so how do they expect to make money?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
These will be the precursor to ram-rocket bullets, that have a hollow cavity all the way through, with a constriction filled with solid propellant, and they'll ignite upon firing and actually accelerate in flight...  =D
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
The way to eliminate recoil is to build a double barreled gun that fires a bullet in opposite directions with each pull of the trigger.   :lol:

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »
The way to eliminate recoil is to build a double barreled gun that fires a bullet in opposite directions with each pull of the trigger.   :lol:

If you did it right it might even have a fun spinning effect!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
Did anybody else see Birdman write a dissertation on this, or am I the only one who sees it?

Decaf...

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »
Such is birdman
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
I lurvs our birdman.

He takes something that I mostly kinda sorta grok, most of the time, with an intuitive yet vague understanding...

And quantifies it to the joule, out to 8 units of precision. =D  With seemingly effortless grace.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:34 AM »
Yeah, not complaining, just observing.

The thought occurs to me that it might be unwise to ridicule the man who is the most likely of all of us to actually build a giant moon laser.

But seriously: Decaf.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 06:31:02 AM »
Definitely looks like a great way to lower the weight of a novice shooter's wallet.....other than that, I don't see anything useful....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
The thing I love about birdman is that he takes exactly what I'm thinking and saves me 5 minutes of typing by posting it for me.
Charles Babbage

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 03:30:46 PM »
You know, I have been having a crappy week, and reading this thread has really made me feel much better.  Thanks APS, it makes me happy to know my random "I have a few minutes between jobs" treatises/rants are appreciated :)

As for decaf...no, they will find me dead, on top of my giant moon laser, hand clasped around a 20oz (or as my friends call it, the "Marc" size redbull) before I give up my stimulants!  Besides, adderal and massive caffeine is the only way I've found to deal with the fatigue associated with certain medical issues :(

On the other hand...a resting heart rate of 176 is normal right?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:54:38 PM by birdman »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
I wonder if they whistle?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
It is from Nigera....................aka.................scam........................chris3

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
You know, I was having a bad afternoon.  Then I read this thread. And then I got to these last two posts....  And started laughing hysterically.  Why???

Because I took this:

As for decaf...no, they will find me dead, on top of my giant moon laser, hand clasped around a 20oz (or as my friends call it, the "Marc" size redbull) before I give up my stimulants!  Besides, adderal and massive caffeine is the only way I've found to deal with the fatigue associated with certain medical issues :(

On the other hand...a resting heart rate of 176 is normal right?

And this:

I wonder if they whistle?

And my brain said, "What, his heart valves????"

'scuse me, i'll be in the corner giggling and laughing uncontrollably for a little while...

ETA:  Now that I'm done laughing, I do have to add that I definitely enjoy Birdman's posts.   Like AZ, he take something that I kinda sorta get on an intuitive level and explains why it would or wouldn't work to the nth degree.  And I always learn something new...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:40:23 PM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »

Quote from: brimic
I wonder if they whistle

And my brain said, "What, his heart valves????"

Given his stated resting heart rate of 176 it would be more of a buzz, I think.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB