Author Topic: A little green fuel for your diesel?  (Read 1040 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
A little green fuel for your diesel?
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »
NZ firm makes bio-diesel from sewage in world first

By Errol Kiong

A New Zealand company has successfully turned sewage into modern-day gold.

Marlborough-based Aquaflow Bionomic yesterday announced it had produced its first sample of bio-diesel fuel from algae in sewage ponds.

It is believed to be the world's first commercial production of bio-diesel from "wild" algae outside the laboratory - and the company expects to be producing at the rate of at least one million litres of the fuel each year from Blenheim by April.

To date, algae-derived fuel has only been tested under controlled conditions with specially grown algae crops, said spokesman Barrie Leay.

Aquaflow's algae, however, were derived from excess pond discharge from the Marlborough District Council's sewage treatment works. Algae take most chemicals out of sewage, but having too many of them taints the water and produces a foul smell.

Creating fuel from the algae removes the problem while producing useful clean water, said Mr Leay. The clean water can then be used for stock food, irrigation and, if treated properly, for human consumption.

Mr Leay said the process could also benefit dairy farmers and food processors as the algae also thrive in those industries' waste streams.

And unlike some bio-fuel sources which require crops to be specially grown - using more land, fuel, chemicals and fertilisers - the algae already exist extensively.

To get the fuel, the algae are processed into a pulp before lipid oils are extracted to be turned into bio-diesel.

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10381404
The companies web site: http://www.bio-diesel.co.nz/

Not a huge amount of fuel each day, but every little bit not sourced from foreign petroleum helps.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:34:48 AM »
Also annouced yesterday in the news was some univerisity prof that can make bio diesel from pig poo. Something like 3.6 gallons of diesel per pig per day. Pig produces 6 gallons of waste per day.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
Was not that same thing done in a "Mad Max" movie???
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Was not that same thing done in a "Mad Max" movie???
I think they were making methane gas from pig poo by bacteria digestion. Like one of the ways a fart is made, byproduct of bacteria in your colon.

Uranus is a gas giant.

p35

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »
I heard the other day that, with the recent rise in oil prices, the local biodiesel outlet is selling biodiesel for about 50 cents a gallon less than regular  diesel. They make it from used cooking oil IIRC.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:32:09 AM »
Interesting...

Which brings me to my idea of developing a fuel from Kudzu (anyone from the south especially the Carolinas and Georgia will be very familiar with it.)
The leafy vine grows as much as 12inches per day during the summer.

Of course another great source of biomass that grows rather quickly is hemp.  But Henry Ford (modern father of ethyl alcohol fuel) was just a crazy cracker, right?

How about bamboo??
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 06:42:41 AM »
I think they need to look at what will produce more fuel per acre not just things that grow fast or grew well in certain areas.  

Pig Poo is plentiful in the Pig states and there is manure management problems there. Soybeans have one of the lowest gallons per acres output on bio-diesel, palm has one of the highest. I can't see palm plantations in Iowa.

I have been reading that bacteria or algae might outproduce any plant for making bio diesel per acre, but again at what cost?

I'm for alternative/renewable energy sources, but again at what cost?

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:00:42 AM »
I think they need to look at what will produce more fuel per acre not just things that grow fast or grew well in certain areas.
That and any waste that can be salvaged for further use, such as turning sewage and animal waste into fuel.  It's a case of every little bit helps.

If I had a diesel I'd be looking for the bio stuff, even though I know full well that it won't scale to 100% replacement without major changes.  What I like about the diesel engine is that it can use anything from diesel to LPG to cooking oil with only minor adjustments.  My using biodiesel would lower the demand for diesel, lowering it's price, and increase demand for biodiesel, increasing investments in it.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »
is dat kosher?

i'm a little verklempt at pumping pig poo

mayhaps Exxon will have a nice Shabbos goy

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"