Author Topic: Mark Serbu pwns a gun buy back  (Read 5877 times)

Pharmacology

• friends
Mark Serbu pwns a gun buy back
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:35:15 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWhccfz1oU

Basically, he makes a quick and sloppy little .22 with a few bucks of materials, and then turns it in at a buy back.

So hilarious.

HankB

• friend
Re: Mark Serbu pwns a gun buy back
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
I've often thought about making turning in a bunch of $5 zip guns for cash or gift cards should they ever bring a gun "buyback" to my area . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
Downright glamorous gun, compared to a High Point.   :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
I got a good chuckle at the open bolt design.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:36:05 PM »
I've often thought about making turning in a bunch of $5 zip guns for cash or gift cards should they ever bring a gun "buyback" to my area . . .  >:D

Not a bad idea. They'd just better have rifled barrels. Or guarantee complete anonymity/amnesty.

I would buy cheapo junker .22 single shot rifles, or even airguns for pennies on the dollar, then cut those up into barrel blanks, ream chambers with a cobalt-steel 16/64ths or 6mm drill bit. (approximately .23 for the case) and luckily, you only need a nice true flat face, since it's rimfire, so no need for a tricky counter-sink for the rim or anything.

A blowback action made from a rounded off grade 8 bolt with a nubbin of weld on it's face for a firing pin, and a spring, with a sear-tripping trigger, and you're in business.

I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
I guess it may not work well these days, but showing up and offering to buy any nice guns I saw walking in might work.  Of course, you may not be able to guarantee legitimate ownership. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:51:12 PM »
Not a bad idea. They'd just better have rifled barrels. Or guarantee complete anonymity/amnesty.

Does rifling have to be fully functional?  Or just curving scrape marks down the barrel?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »

I would buy cheapo junker .22 single shot rifles, or even airguns for pennies on the dollar, then cut those up into barrel blanks, ream chambers with a cobalt-steel 16/64ths or 6mm drill bit. (approximately .23 for the case) and luckily, you only need a nice true flat face, since it's rimfire, so no need for a tricky counter-sink for the rim or anything.

A blowback action made from a rounded off grade 8 bolt with a nubbin of weld on it's face for a firing pin, and a spring, with a sear-tripping trigger, and you're in business.

A #1 drill works for 22 rimfire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
Hmmm, I happen to have a 10/22 barrel in the assorted parts box and a lathe at work ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »
I guess it may not work well these days, but showing up and offering to buy any nice guns I saw walking in might work.  Of course, you may not be able to guarantee legitimate ownership. 

That's what he did.  He went and got a $40  certificate for his junko gun,  then traded said certificate for a nice shotgun

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
Does rifling have to be fully functional?  Or just curving scrape marks down the barrel?

lol, just get a small lead pipe, and run a course tap down the inside

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:31 AM »
Wasn't there a thread a while back here where someone took up a large collection of junk guns and then went around from one gun buy back to another? Used them to get a nice rifle for some boy scouts if I'm remembering correctly, probably not.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 05:58:35 AM »
Would it Even need to be a functional gun? Throw a handful of scrap together into a gun shape and profit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »
Would it Even need to be a functional gun? Throw a handful of scrap together into a gun shape and profit.

This. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »

Haven't 8 year old boys been arrested for pointing chicken fingers at each other in the school cafeteria and saying "Bang, Bang"? (or was it "Pow, Pow"?)
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »

I remember seeing some sort of determining standard about that, but I'm unable to find a cite.

If I can't find a court case, or reference to a law, then it's probably up to the discretion of the ATF technical branch to determine if rifling is sufficient or "real" enough to avoid a smooth-bore AOW designation, assuming a "virgin" frame or receiver for the firearm in question. Assuming it's a breechloader that uses fixed ammunition.

So to that, I'd say, the more "real" the rifling is, the better. IIRC, some have even made the case that rifling need not even curve, but can be straight, as the first rifling was intended to provide clearance for bore fouling, and it was only happanstance that imparted spin was discovered to generate increased accuracy and repeat-ability.

Many have suggested that as a work around for the AOW category, to produce handguns that fire shotshells that could still transfer as Title I firearms without any NFA hassles, at least for shells smaller than .28ga (must be at or under .50, or it is now a Destructive Device, unless granted an exemption, such as .600 Nitro have etc.)

However, no manufacturer I'm aware of has tested the waters with that as of yet.

I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
You could build a smooth bore .50 pistol and chamber it for 32 gauge shotgun shells.  I don't think that would even be AOW ($200 tax stamp to legally build an AOW, then $5 to transfer it)  Magtech makes brass for it.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
The city-sponsored gun buybacks I've seen all stress that there will be "no questions asked" . . . they need to do that to have any HOPE of getting "illegal guns" off the street. So if they're on the level, showing up with a smoothbore zipgun ought to be no problem - they're getting it off the street, right?

. . . some have even made the case that rifling need not even curve, but can be straight, as the first rifling was intended to provide clearance for bore fouling, and it was only happanstance that imparted spin was discovered to generate increased accuracy and repeat-ability.
Straight rifling will probably improve shotgun performance, as it would keep the shot column from rotating at all; in fact, a couple of decades ago, a custom manufacturer (I want to say Atkinson & Marquart, but couldn't swear to it) was making & selling shotgun barrels with straight rifling, that supposedly produced very good patterns for competitive trap shooters, especially those playing the yardage game.

The chokes that Thompson/Center supplied with their "HotShot" barrels had deep straight rifling to arrest the spin imparted by the rifled barrel . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
Wasn't there a thread a while back here where someone took up a large collection of junk guns and then went around from one gun buy back to another? Used them to get a nice rifle for some boy scouts if I'm remembering correctly, probably not.

That was in Illinois, I'm pretty sure.  Used the proceeds to buy some nice stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
I remember seeing some sort of determining standard about that, but I'm unable to find a cite.

If I can't find a court case, or reference to a law, then it's probably up to the discretion of the ATF technical branch to determine if rifling is sufficient or "real" enough to avoid a smooth-bore AOW designation, assuming a "virgin" frame or receiver for the firearm in question. Assuming it's a breechloader that uses fixed ammunition.

So to that, I'd say, the more "real" the rifling is, the better. IIRC, some have even made the case that rifling need not even curve, but can be straight, as the first rifling was intended to provide clearance for bore fouling, and it was only happanstance that imparted spin was discovered to generate increased accuracy and repeat-ability.

So, for gun buy "back" purposes, take a junker .22, and cut a real barrel into 4" lengths.    Or, how much would it cost to just buy a stock 10/22 barrel, from someone who customized?  Voila!, rifling as real as can be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
. . .Or, how much would it cost to just buy a stock 10/22 barrel, from someone who customized?  Voila!, rifling as real as can be.
Cost me nothing - I've already got a leftover from my 10/22 project.  ;)

Now I just need to wait for a lucrative buyback offer . . .  >:D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Make them to as standard a design as you can manage then put on non-sequential serial numbers in the mid hundreds.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:04 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWhccfz1oU

Basically, he makes a quick and sloppy little .22 with a few bucks of materials, and then turns it in at a buy back.

So hilarious.

He should sell this. I'm sure there'd be buyers among us for, say a $45 single-shot.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
Make them to as standard a design as you can manage then put on non-sequential serial numbers in the mid hundreds.  =D

Nah...

Just buy up a bunch of empty AKM/AK-74 crates, collect a bunch of empty Wolf ammo boxes, and leave the pile inside an unused OWS encampment tent.
I promise not to duck.