Author Topic: Suppressors and poaching  (Read 2162 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Suppressors and poaching
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:57 AM »
With the talk about trying to treat suppressors like firearms instead of a tax stamp item, and the stated purpose of "reducing poaching" that was used as a major justification in '34, what percentage of current poaching incidents are estimated to be solved today? 

What is the professional estimate of amount of known poaching versus unknown?

Hell, how big of a problem is poaching considered to be, in terms of species survival versus simply breaking game laws?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Suppressors and poaching
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:44:52 AM »
Most poachers (it's mainly jacklighting around here) I know use unsuppressed .22s.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
It has as much to do with poaching as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act has to do with protecting patients and making care affordable, or the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has to do with recovery or reinvestment (except in unions and Democrat cronies).

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:53:25 AM »
What talk about trying to treat suppressors like firearms?  Has it gone beyond gun blogs now?

And what's the point? I mean, a suppressor is clearly not a firearm.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
What talk about trying to treat suppressors like firearms?  Has it gone beyond gun blogs now?

Suppressors are linked in the American psyche with assassins, just as switchblades are linked with teenage gangs or Mafia killers.

Nobody looks at them and says, "gee, a device that makes guns less noisy" or "a knife you can open with one hand. How convenient."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 02:02:56 AM »
Suppressors are linked in the American psyche with assassins, just as switchblades are linked with teenage gangs or Mafia killers.

Nobody looks at them and says, "gee, a device that makes guns less noisy" or "a knife you can open with one hand. How convenient."

What I mean to say is: a suppressor is completely useless without a firearm to go on.

If you purchase a suppressor, you either:

a) already own a firearm you passed an NICS check on
b) are already a felon

or

c) are buying an expensive cylindrical paperweight

If we are to deregulate suppressors we should do so properly.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »
Yes, it's understood that a firearm is needed, but the suppressor is more sinister than the gun.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »

The point is that, instead of having to go through all the NFA'34 rigamaroll to buy a supressor, the NRA & other 2A groups should be pushing to put supressors under the same instant NICS check that a regular firearm goes through. There would be little political support in de-regulating supressors, but this course of action seems like the most successful option.

I'm for it (esp. if they include SBR's & SBS's in the same NICS check)....but I agree with your position....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »
Of course anyone breaking the law by poaching would never break the law by having an illegal suppressor  ;/

What about bows and arrows - shouldn't they be NFA also  ???

Or even .357/.38 rifles.  Those are pretty quiet compared to bottle neck rifle cartridges.

Around here, an occasional shot out of season is no big deal: probably somebody shooting a coyote or porcupine.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
The point is that, instead of having to go through all the NFA'34 rigamaroll to buy a supressor, the NRA & other 2A groups should be pushing to put supressors under the same instant NICS check that a regular firearm goes through.

Are they? Are there links to articles about this awesome developement?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
At some point I want to buy a legal suppressor, one that can muffle .22 and .223. After that, I want a suppressed .45-70 falling block. If it has to be slow it might as well be really, really big. Imagine a 500gr hardcast cruising sub-sonic from 500 yards. Don't think you'd hear that. As far as poaching, not really necessary. Even if you must use a firearm, some are very quiet. I'm back on my 60gr Aguila SSS kick, found out my Marlin 925 shoots them without a barrel change. If it is louder than my .177 air rifle it is not by much, I can shoot a tree 100 yards away and the most distinct noise is the hit on the tree. Suppressed it ought to be awesome.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
It's the same faulty logic that was /is applied to crossbows in many states. 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
Most poachers (it's mainly jacklighting around here) I know use unsuppressed .22s.

Out west the population density is so low they don't even bother trying to hide their shots, and will use whatever rifle they happen to own. After all, there's no need to be sneaky about it when there is no one within a 20 mile radius.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
Out west the population density is so low they don't even bother trying to hide their shots, and will use whatever rifle they happen to own. After all, there's no need to be sneaky about it when there is no one within a 20 mile radius.

Well, that and people shoot coyotes and other varmits all year long.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
The point is that, instead of having to go through all the NFA'34 rigamaroll to buy a supressor, the NRA & other 2A groups should be pushing to put supressors under the same instant NICS check that a regular firearm goes through. There would be little political support in de-regulating supressors, but this course of action seems like the most successful option.

I'm for it (esp. if they include SBR's & SBS's in the same NICS check)....but I agree with your position....

Why should I have to go through ANY sort of check to buy a suppressor? As already noted, it's an accessory to a firearm. If I already own the firearm legally, why should I need permission to add something to it? Would you advocate a NICS check to buy a spare magazine?

On the other hand, if I DON'T own the gun legally, I'm already a felon. How much MORE of a felon is a suppressor going to make me?

Of course, I don't think the 2nd Amendment supports background checks to buy firearms. Unfortunately (or not) the SCOTUS doesn't agree with me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design