Author Topic: What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447  (Read 14381 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 09:19:48 PM »
Hard to keep control for more than a few seconds, so the plane really has no pilot.

The article said something about the left seater taking simultaneous control, but the two sticks canceled each other out. Is the A330 different from your A320?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
No, it is the same in that regard. One pilot was pulling back (nose up), while the other was pushing forward.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
do those sticks have any feel? What about trim-is it just a function of the autopilot?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »
No feel, no feedback. Kind of like a joystick for a PC game.

Trim is automatic from the computers. Point the nose where you want it and it stays there.  Rudder is also automatic in flight. I fly with my feet flat on floor except for takeoff and landing.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Wait, what? Auto-rudder, like in the old Microsoft flight sims (so you could fly with just a joystick and you didn't have to coordinate ailerons and rudder)? Same thing here?
Andy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
Wait, what? Auto-rudder, like in the old Microsoft flight sims (so you could fly with just a joystick and you didn't have to coordinate ailerons and rudder)? Same thing here?

Bonanza  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
No feel, no feedback. Kind of like a joystick for a PC game.

Trim is automatic from the computers. Point the nose where you want it and it stays there.  Rudder is also automatic in flight. I fly with my feet flat on floor except for takeoff and landing.

Nice of them to let you have rudder authority for landing.......... =D  so just out of curiosity, how do you deal with a crosswind on a big bird?
slip it,   or fly into the wind and kick it straight before touchdown? (seems like that might be a good way to break off the gear if it ain't perfect...)

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

Yes.

Nice of them to let you have rudder authority for landing.......... =D  so just out of curiosity, how do you deal with a crosswind on a big bird?
slip it,   or fly into the wind and kick it straight before touchdown? (seems like that might be a good way to break off the gear if it ain't perfect...)

I can still use the rudders in flight, I just don't need to.  #2. Kick it straight, drop a wing, roll it onlike butter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
I can still use the rudders in flight, I just don't need to.  #2. Kick it straight, drop a wing, roll it onlike butter.

Like a leaf on the wind ...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
or fly into the wind and kick it straight before touchdown? (seems like that might be a good way to break off the gear if it ain't perfect...)

Some airliners have crosswind landing gear, IIRC.

You might enjoy this video of an A380 doing a crosswind landing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOUMupz6rM&NR

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2011, 07:05:59 PM »
Some airliners have crosswind landing gear, IIRC.

I think most Boeings do. It is funny to taxi behind them and see 'em crabbing down the taxiway.