Author Topic: Whistling from car door- Car Repair Advice Saught  (Read 9763 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Whistling from car door- Car Repair Advice Saught
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
Apparently the rubber seal has dried out/rotted enough to make the most annoying whistling noise from my passenger side door when traveling at high speeds. 

Has anyone dealt with that problem before or otherwise have worthwhile offers of advice? Beyond of course the snarky 'stop driving at high speeds' or 'detcord solves all problems.'   :P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Whistling from car door- Car Repair Advice Saught
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
Had to use some manual force to bend a car door on a 2001 Saturn to make the seal have better contact once. 

You might try something like armor-all on the rubber to make it more pliable.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
Bright side:  it'll act like a deer warning.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
Replace the rubber seal. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »
Replace the seal? It can't be all that expensive in this day of Internet car part shopping.

If that's too much a PITA for you, or too much expense, because you actually do have some high-end car or some oddball car, you could try threading some foam backer rod into the main cavity inside the foam rubber gasket to hold it wider, give it some loft again.
I promise not to duck.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
First... I shall apply the armor-all and hope for the best.  As yet, all I've had done is tightening up the pins on the door.  So at least now it doesn't drop 3 inches when opened. 

When sitting in the passenger side you can squeeze the spot for a good seal.  It so close... 

More efforts will wait till January.  Family friend with an auto body shop pretty much handles all things. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
Ah, if it's that close, then a razor slit to stuff $.25 worth of foam backer rope from the hardware store inside, or a SMALL squirt of "Great Stuff" (which becomes $#!*& Stuff when it gets somewhere you don't want it...) to re-loft that one small part of the door seal may well work.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
Replace the seals.  Kits are available for most any make/model via discount auto parts places like RockAuto.  Easy job.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
It might also be a worn hinge/hinge pin/bushing.

What kind of car?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
Good grief, the answer to that problem is amazingly simple, turn the freaking radio up!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
Good grief, the answer to that problem is amazingly simple, turn the freaking radio up!

Now you sound like my wife. [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
There's some real win in this thread...  :lol:

Ned, replacing a rubber door seal really isn't that big a deal.  Use Teh Googlez to figure out what the correct part number is for your car, order, strip out the old, install the new.  Easy-peasy. You probably don't even need to buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual for your car to do it (but should probably have one anyways just on general principle, if they make one for your particular car).

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLXnyY537c
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
It would be helpful to get some tools from Autozone or another auto parts place for installing the seals. I haven't replaced them in years, but it was no fun back then.

If you don't feel like struggling with the seals, an auto body shop could do it quickly.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »

No no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DETCORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »
Stop whistling at girls when you drive by them  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
If the door was significantly sagged, it's also possible the striker is out of adjustment. Can a passenger pull in on the door while moving at speed and reduce or eliminate the whistling? If so, a simple adjustment of the striker in the door jamb should be all that's necessary.

Do not use Armor-All on door seals. Use silicone spray.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
I knew just throwing the question at APS would be easier than googling  >:D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
I knew just throwing the question at APS would be easier than googling.

Sure, but now you have to figure out what you can do that would be easier than doing the job itself.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »
Sure, but now you have to figure out what you can do that would be easier than doing the job itself.

This may take all my skill...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »

Is there a vocational school nearby?  (Preferably high school, but community college will do in a pinch.)  Contact their auto shop program and get your car accepted for repairs there.

Be sure to take pictures of the car before you take it in - so you can remember what it's supposed to look like.  It's like goimg to one of those beauty academies for a haircut by a stident, or the free dental clinic at the dental school, except that they do stuff to your car.  Most of the time it works out great and you save tons of money - most of the time.

But regardless, you will have a great story to tell the other folks on the bus.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 07:30:57 AM »
Is there a vocational school nearby?  (Preferably high school, but community college will do in a pinch.)  Contact their auto shop program and get your car accepted for repairs there.

Be sure to take pictures of the car before you take it in - so you can remember what it's supposed to look like.  It's like goimg to one of those beauty academies for a haircut by a stident, or the free dental clinic at the dental school, except that they do stuff to your car.  Most of the time it works out great and you save tons of money - most of the time.

But regardless, you will have a great story to tell the other folks on the bus.

stay safe.

Other times, they refill your radiator with straight water in January ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
First... I shall apply the armor-all and hope for the best.  As yet, all I've had done is tightening up the pins on the door.  So at least now it doesn't drop 3 inches when opened.  
It might also be a worn hinge/hinge pin/bushing.

What kind of car?

Obviously a chevy product. Our mechanic at work used to keep chevy truck hinges in stock.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
Pontiac Grand Am.

I gave it a walk around and found the back driver's side door had a broken hinge arm.  I've no idea how long that has been broken.  If other things weren't going as well as they are, that would have ruined my day.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:59:08 PM by Ned Hamford »