Author Topic: Groundhog Day and the State of the Union  (Read 2304 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Groundhog Day and the State of the Union
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:14:32 PM »
In the coming New Year, 2012, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union
address will occur on the same day.

This is an ironic juxtaposition of events.

One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant creature
of little intelligence for prognostication.

The other involves a groundhog.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Groundhog Day and the State of the Union
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
When the State of the Union comes on, I will pop in my copy of Groundhog Day, which I have watched at least a dozen times.

I will gain more from the DVD than watching any of the networks.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
When the State of the Union comes on, I will pop in my copy of Groundhog Day, which I have watched at least a dozen times.

I will gain more from the DVD than watching any of the networks.

You pretty much know what comes next with either one of them  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »
I also prefer Phil and his movie.............
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
You pretty much know what comes next with either one of them  ;)

But I'll be watching the more believable one.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »
Thank God for modern television with lots and lots of choices other than presidential speeches.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0980074231/thedaical-20

EVERYTHING OBAMA KNOWS ABOUT THE ECONOMY (blank inside) is a one hundred and fifty page book and every page is totally blank. The front and back cover are realistic representations of a classic economics book. This book contains no words inside whatsoever - just one hundred and fifty blank pages. This book is a humorous talking point and can also be used very effectively as a notebook...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0980074231/thedaical-20

EVERYTHING OBAMA KNOWS ABOUT THE ECONOMY (blank inside)

From the above page:

Tell the Publisher!
I'd like to read this book on Kindle
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
Temporarily out of stock.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
Well, at least me know how to take care of ground hogs around here.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »
From the above page:
Tell the Publisher!
I'd like to read this book on Kindle

Actually the kindle version is a more appropriate metaphor, pay money for instant content free delivery, with the physical book, you at least get a notebook.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
I'd like to see a President with humility enough, yet boldness enough, to send the SOTU address in writing - email, even! - to congress and skip the whole circus event.

The whole thing has become a stage for the sycophants from either side to applaud their Dear Leader and get their faces on TV. It's crap. Smoke & mirrors.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:15:51 AM »
I'd like to see a President with humility enough, yet boldness enough, to send the SOTU address in writing - email, even! - to congress and skip the whole circus event.

The whole thing has become a stage for the sycophants from either side to applaud their Dear Leader and get their faces on TV. It's crap. Smoke & mirrors.

jb

fistful likes this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 09:23:59 AM »

jb

Or better be able to bribe the telepromt operator to change the script. >:D [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 09:27:05 AM »
Or better be able to bribe the telepromt operator to change the script. >:D [popcorn]

I just want someone to hack "Save a pretzel for the gas jets" into one of his speeches.