Author Topic: Battlefield 1942  (Read 5555 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Battlefield 1942
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:02:55 AM »
Man, I just started playing BF1942 again, and I can't believe how many bad things there are in this game historically.

The US forces bolt gun is a No. 4 Enfield.
The US Sniper is a Scoped No. 4
The US forces in the Pacific have Garands, not 1903's
There are no 1903's
The US forces in Europe have Enfields, not M1's
The Japanese forces sniper is a K98 (maybe not inaccurate, but I think so)

Those are just off the two maps I have played recently.  In addition, weapon power is random and on the low side.  Chest hit with the M1 should stop a man, but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't.

I remember why I quit playing it now.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

wasrjoe

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:18:56 AM »
I always thought the game looked waaaay too cartoony. Never really enjoyed it too much. Always felt big and sluggish.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Azrael256

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »
Inaccurate?

Download the DC mod and go driving around Iwo Jima in an Abrams while your buddies lay some smack down from the carrier-launched harriers. Smiley

Phyphor

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:05:13 PM »
You forgot about the STG-44, the 8 round M-1911 magazines, (the fact that the russians HAVE 1911s, ) amongst other things.

All that aside, it's still a fun 'escapist' WW2 game..
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

mephisto

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 12:32:22 PM »
it sucks.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »
The reason I hate most games these days is these reasons...that and the gun handling is poor.
Infiltration is the only FPS for me, but the community is starting to disgust me. =p
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

jefnvk

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:36:27 PM »
OK, like an idiot, I just got done complaining about BF42, and go out and buy Battlefield Vietnam.  We'll see if it is any better.

And I kinda like the graphics in it.  I think they are much better than MOH or COD or DOD.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 02:58:17 PM »
Hell, skip Battlefield Vietnam.

I've been playing the Desert Combat patch.  Love the M14/M21 and driving the SCUD missile launcher around.

Friggin' Hind helicopters are a pain in my backside when I'm driving an M1 Abrams towards the enemy locations.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 04:59:09 PM »
I'm kind of looking forward to Battlefield 2.
Hopefully they won't screw it up too bad with their usual gun mistakes.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

sven

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 05:02:32 PM »
I can't believe you people!  It is such a fun game, accuracy be damned.  For those who aren't "haters", I'll see you on EA 111 or EA 161 - they are "Coral Sea" maps all day long.  Look for the IP clan members.  We're on at least once a day.  Wink

Really, it is a fun game - especially dogfighting on that Coral Sea map... can't get enough!

jefnvk

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:36:51 AM »
Ironic, sven.  Those are the only two servers I have been playing Smiley  I love that map, and Battle of Britain.   What's you screen name?  I'm (I think) NightHawk.

Of course, i like supporting the bombers by sniping the boat's flak gunners.

All the others, you get idiots who take the planes, and fly around, and never do anything, and the planes don't respawn.

jefnvk

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 05:37:51 AM »
OH, and BF:Vietnam seems to be quite a bit better on the realism of hits and kills.

Zed

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 08:30:47 AM »
Quote from: mbs357
The reason I hate most games these days is these reasons...that and the gun handling is poor.
Infiltration is the only FPS for me, but the community is starting to disgust me. =p
I currently Play Americas Army, despite the the community having disgusted me a long time ago, it's the hoards of cheaters that are completely devastating the game...Sad

at the moment i'm gradually getting to the point of giving up on online gaming as a whole, people making & using cheats are the cause, doesn't matter what kind of game it is
they seem hellbent on ruining every online game. angry
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

pbhome71

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:12:32 AM »
I used to play 1942 a lot... I kept getting killed and hardly get any kill.  May be I'll try it again.  

The Desert Combat was fun.   I loved the Hind, and the Apache, very hard to get a hold of one, though.

Since I moved out to a boonine, I now have very slow iDSL line.. 128Kbps.  I hardly play on-line game any more.  It is too slow to download game update....

-Pat

jefnvk

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 09:50:13 AM »
at the moment i'm gradually getting to the point of giving up on online gaming as a whole, people making & using cheats are the cause, doesn't matter what kind of game it is
they seem hellbent on ruining every online game
I was in an argument with someone a while back, either in the RT or on TFL.  They insisted that it was OK to cheat, because they were bored of the game how it was, and it was funny to shoot people through walls and stuff and see their reaction.

I honestly don't see the point in playing the game if you are just going to cheat to win. To me, it is just pointless.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 10:47:51 AM »
I don't have any interest in America's Army.  I've played plenty of realism games only to be dissapointed, and the fact that AA still uses crosshairs gets on my nerves.

Zed

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 04:52:20 AM »
Quote from: mbs357
I don't have any interest in America's Army.  I've played plenty of realism games only to be dissapointed, and the fact that AA still uses crosshairs gets on my nerves.
You can turn the crosshairs off if you want, but they make up for not being able to aim with your body, also if you are in a Sniper Slot you dont have crosshairs anyway.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 05:14:45 AM »
In BF:V, I noticed when using the M4, the charging handle gets released very gingerly, and the forward assist gets used to fully chamber the round.  Anyone know if this is the way it really was, versus just letting the charging handle or release chamber the round?

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Nightfall_MVII

• http://www.mofba.org
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 08:39:22 AM »
The only game I am playing online right now is Call of Duty.  I have been looking at BF1942 though.  Is it worth it?
Kyle

I know for a fact that hell is a one lane highway with no speed limit...and you're always stuck behind some soccer mom in a minivan doing 35mph.

jefnvk

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 08:44:41 AM »
THe vehicle warfare isn't too bad, but don't bother playing as infantry.  Walking anywhere takes forever, and the guns dont don crap for damage.  Plus, its a few years old, I'd be willing to bet that it won't be around as a top game for much longer.

I'd stick with COD.  If you want another option, try Day of Defeat, the Half-Life mod.  It is a good game.  DOD:Source, the updated grephics and physics version of DOD should be out within the next couple of months, too.  It's sure to be great.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 09:58:43 AM »
Call of Duty is a great game.

Nightfall_MVII

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 11:17:01 AM »
Sounds like I'll stick with COD.  I am almost finished with the first player missions on the expansion pack.  That sucker is hard!
Kyle

I know for a fact that hell is a one lane highway with no speed limit...and you're always stuck behind some soccer mom in a minivan doing 35mph.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 11:17:10 AM »
I tried BF 42 a couple of times. It felt way too sluggish and cartoonish. Haven't played it since.

I'll stick with COD online. Anybody tried the "AfterHourz" rifle only server? It's a blast when it's running. Haven't seen it up lately though. I go by Cpl. Punishment online.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nightfall_MVII

Battlefield 1942
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 11:20:18 AM »
I don't remember the server, but I played a couple of 'rifles only' servers.  Tons of fun!!!
Kyle

jefnvk

• friend
Battlefield 1942
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 04:41:26 PM »
Rifle only servers are great.  I hate SMG's, esp. when the ENTIRE other team has them.  I doubt the Russkies gave all their soldiers PPSH's.