Author Topic: New LG OLED TV is 3/16" Thick  (Read 4763 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
New LG OLED TV is 3/16" Thick
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/247168/lg_shows_off_new_pics_of_that_ultrathin_55inch_oled_tv.html

This new TV is OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode), is 3/16" thick, and weighs 16.5 pounds.
LG will be showing this technology in a couple of weeks @ the CES.
It looks very interesting - I've seen nothing yet regarding pricing.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: New LG OLED TV is 3/16" Thick
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
Had a funny moment the other day watching Back to the Future II on TV.  When they were in the year 2015 the McFly family had a giant TV on their wall which was flat.  Light enough that you could tilt it around, which was probably only done to show that it wasn't supposed to be a projection screen.  Not much different than we have now.

Except the resolution was still 480i.  It looked like crap.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »
OLED is not cheap, so expect this new tubeless tube to be expensive.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
OLED is not cheap, so expect this new tubeless tube to be expensive.
No doubt. I was reading he other day that current TV margins are now pathetically thin, so this will be an excuse to increase them.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
When they were introduced both plasma and LED technologies weren't cheap either.  In mid-2007 industry analyst were about to have a stroke that WalMart was set to announce an "industry killing" price of $2499 for a 50" 720i plasma TV (a year or two before that the prices topped five grand).  Today, less than five years later, that same size and performance can be had for $568 according to WalMart.com.

If the OLED performs as expected it will take hold with consumers.  Once that happens the price will come down as the industry finds ways to make it more economical to manufacture.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:32:54 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
They need something new and exciting to push TV sales.  I read the other day that 3D TVs have gone over about as well as a Baby Ruth bar in the pool; very low sales.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »
They need something new and exciting to push TV sales.  I read the other day that 3D TVs have gone over about as well as a Baby Ruth bar in the pool; very low sales.

Yeah, problems getting them bright enought to be really viewable, frame refresh rates requiring data streams that push hardware to the limits, plus the need for clunky, fragile, and extremely expensive shutter glasses for proper viewing pretty much doomed current 3D technology to the recesses of the neat-I-gotta-have-it early adopter and A/V geek markets.

Mfgs are working feverishly on direct-viewable 3D tech, though.  If they get that perfected it will likely take off like the proverbial rocket.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:52:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »

I figured as much.  I think the whole 3D movie craze is just a passing fad.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »
I'm sure within 10 years these TV's will be in every living room.

It's funny how these things go. Even back in the 1970's, technology was changing so quickly that my brother paid $500 for a plastic-banded LED watch that just a few years later would be given away by banks for opening a checking account. Today a bank would be laughed at for giving away so cheap a prize.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
I figured as much.  I think the whole 3D movie craze is just a passing fad.

After over sixty years it is still just a niche in the movie industry.

It's been over four years since I was an LG servicer. It was neat seeing the new stuff. i used to have one of the tv's that was mounted in the refrigerator door.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
Today a bank would be laughed at for giving away so cheap a prize.

Do banks still give you stuff for signing up? My credit union was passing out popsicles last summer, but that's about it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:26:36 PM »
I have gone to 3D movies and just don't see the appeal.   I would not pay extra for 3D movies or TV. Now when the holodeck is invented,  sign me up.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »
When they were introduced both plasma and LED technologies weren't cheap either.  In mid-2007 industry analyst were about to have a stroke that WalMart was set to announce an "industry killing" price of $2499 for a 50" 720i plasma TV (a year or two before that the prices topped five grand).  Today, less than five years later, that same size and performance can be had for $568 according to WalMart.com.

If the OLED performs as expected it will take hold with consumers.  Once that happens the price will come down as the industry finds ways to make it more economical to manufacture.

Brad
This. Everytime I step foot in Walmart or similar big box electronics I see my exact (or close enough as to make no matter) tv getting cheaper and cheaper.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »
The biggest feature I look forward to with the OLED tech is bendable substrates.  That will be cool.  I'm with MillCreek on 3D TV though, let me know when the holodeck is ready. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:10 PM »
I'm with MillCreek on 3D TV though, let me know when the holodeck is ready. 

When it is, nobody's going to use that thing to watch movies or go skiing in the rockies.   :lol:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
The biggest feature I look forward to with the OLED tech is bendable substrates.  That will be cool.  I'm with MillCreek on 3D TV though, let me know when the holodeck is ready. 

Lotta potential. I want a screen I can toss around, bend and whatnot. Now if they make it opaque on command, it'll be perfect. Be handy for "augmented reality" type stuff.

The 3D stuff is just plain annoying.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
When it is, nobody's going to use that thing to watch movies or go skiing in the rockies.   :lol:

Yeah... the MOS Starfleet (Or since they're a "Navy" of sorts, is it a NEC?) never discusses. The ST-5705A (Sanitary Tecnician, specialty-bodily fluids) AKA the Holo-Swabber...  :P
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
^^^^ I will now add this to my list of 'things I should have been thinking about all along'.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 05:11:19 PM »
They just beam the... uh, "residue" out into space.  :angel:

Found something out a while ago. Let's say I'm watching TV, a movie, my phone, playing a game on such.  If I keep my head perfectly still relative to the display and close one eye, my brain compensates for the lack of depth perception, and interprets whatever I'm watching as three dimensional.  Doesn't work on still images - video only.  

Really, really cool for first-person shooter stuff and movie theaters.  ;)  I've yet to meet anyone else who does this, though.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:03:47 AM »
They just beam the... uh, "residue" out into space.  :angel:

That would be wasteful.  Remember, The Federation has long had direct matter to energy conversion; and back again.

Yesterdays "residue" is tomorrows Hollandaise sauce.

Found something out a while ago. Let's say I'm watching TV, a movie, my phone, playing a game on such.  If I keep my head perfectly still relative to the display and close one eye, my brain compensates for the lack of depth perception, and interprets whatever I'm watching as three dimensional.  Doesn't work on still images - video only.  

Really, really cool for first-person shooter stuff and movie theaters.  ;)  I've yet to meet anyone else who does this, though.

Never tried that trick, but ever since I suffered a strong fever delerium as a child (smallest noise I heard had universal importance; coral felt both hard/prickly & soft/velvety at the same time; the rooms extended in directions that there were no names for and I could only cross them by moving in the two dimensional plane of the floor) I've been able to change my perception of depth at will.  As in when talking to someone, the whole universe is only their head or I can flip the view so the speakers head is far far away and my peripheral vision is crystal clear.

OLED TV will be cool from a techno-toy standpoint, but it still just a TV.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
That would be wasteful.  Remember, The Federation has long had direct matter to energy conversion; and back again.

Thanks for going there before I had a chance to.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:55:47 AM by erictank »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:50 AM »
OLED TVs will need an added bezel frame to allow a grasping handhold for repositioning
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »

If Ned offers to be the head chef... RUN!!!

Brad
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
Thanks for going there before I had a chance to.  :laugh:

Meh... Instead of toilets, I always wondered why they didn't just step onto a transporter pad, not actually go anywhere, and just step off a few ounces/pounds lighter.

E=MC^2 stream redirected to engines, replicators, or weapons as needed.

Hell, just taking a surplus redshirt, and beaming him over to, or even just near the offending Romulan Warbird, or Borg Cube, and not letting him rematerialize properly would be pretty darn effective. Done in low orbit over a planet, it's probably enough to make the facing half of the planet slightly molten, and blow off the atmosphere.
I promise not to duck.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »
Meh... Instead of toilets, I always wondered why they didn't just step onto a transporter pad, not actually go anywhere, and just step off a few ounces/pounds lighter.

E=MC^2 stream redirected to engines, replicators, or weapons as needed.

Hell, just taking a surplus redshirt, and beaming him over to, or even just near the offending Romulan Warbird, or Borg Cube, and not letting him rematerialize properly would be pretty darn effective. Done in low orbit over a planet, it's probably enough to make the facing half of the planet slightly molten, and blow off the atmosphere.

Edit, because I was stupid and pressed Post before typing a response...  :facepalm:

Beaming a redshirt  :O, or a large hunk of rock, into low orbit would not be quite that impressive.  A photon torpedo, with a yield of about 67 megatons, utilizes 1.5kg of antimatter (presumably reacting with the torpedo casing and other materials for 3kg of M-AM). A 75kg redshirt (or rock) would produce, at most, 25x more boom, and probably considerably less than that IMO.

A quantum torpedo, such as those fired by the Enterprise-E against the Borg Cube in First Contact, was supposed to utilize zero-point energy to produce a "dialable" yield up to 200 megatons. You want true planet-killing capability, you use something like a Genesis device, or use the ship's probes and/or torpedoes to destabilize the local star.

And FTR, Enterprise-D (Picard's ship from the Next Generation series, the one crashed by Troi in Generations) only had ONE bathroom on the whole ship - right by the Captain's Ready Room, IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:00:03 AM by erictank »