Author Topic: I think I woulda spoken up a little sooner.  (Read 6214 times)

Lee

• friend

SADShooter

• friend
Re: I think I woulda spoken up a little sooner.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Mr. Sulu! Pucker Factor 11! Get us out of here!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
Yogi's in condition white.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
i think the lil balls of crap falling from me on him would make him aware of me
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
The guy with the camera must clank when he walks.  He wasn't afraid at all.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: I think I woulda spoken up a little sooner.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
The guy with the camera must clank when he walks.  He wasn't afraid at all.
or a total dumbass like whats his face that got ate in alaska a few years ago along with his girlfriend
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
Considering that the ladder was part of a commercial tree stand, I'd figure the guy was a deer hunter and probably had either a hunting rifle or a hunting bow, and very possibly a serious caliber handgun as backup.

I do give him credit, though, for letting the bear get as far as it did. He must have been wearing good scent block, because the bear really didn't seem to be aware of him until he spoke.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
Considering that the ladder was part of a commercial tree stand, I'd figure the guy was a deer hunter and probably had either a hunting rifle or a hunting bow, and very possibly a serious caliber handgun as backup.

I do give him credit, though, for letting the bear get as far as it did. He must have been wearing good scent block, because the bear really didn't seem to be aware of him until he spoke.
The bear was near sighted and had a cold.  I could recommend him a good Lasik doctor who did well for me.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »
Sorry, didn't realize this tree was already occupied.  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
Boo-boo was scent tracking the human in quest of a pick-a-nick basket.

I would of given him a huff at about 12 yards out.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »
Notes to self:

1) Bears will ascend trees easily without ladders

2) Bears seem to understand human vertical ascending devices

3) Speaking to bears is only acceptable when separated by iron bars in zoos

4) Only an idiot will attempt to converse with a bear on his territory

5) I do not want to follow the teachings of Timmy Treadwell

6) Make sure to be heavily armed in bear territory

7) My speaking voice does not fall into the 'heavily armed' category
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
While it's not a 100% sure-thing, this was "just" a black bear...

It had no idea the bowhunter was there, probably due to good camouflage. And it skedaddled the minute he finally spoke up. I bet he was toying with it because it's presence probably ruined any chance of seeing a deer that day, and was a bit peeved.  :laugh:

Can one shred you? Yes, obviously, especially if cornered, or you're between a mother and it's cubs. However, their behavior is more like an overgrown raccoon more often than not. A simple yell will send them running, and I've had opportunity to do so at the family place up in Western WI. Heck, even some of the various family toy-dog breeds sent them running if one came out of the treeline because something pungent was in the burn-barrel.

I guess what the hunter did wasn't prudent from a "better safe than sorry" standpoint, but it's not even close to toying with a brown bear/grizzly.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/06/060613-cat-bear.html
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
Blackies are the ones that will hunt and kill peoples.
Grizly will just stomp you into a mudhole for spite.

I prefer to know their intentions before they get the rear paws on the bottom rung.
Dat Bear knew a human had past by recently and was tracking his next dinner noms.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Grizly will just stomp you into a mudhole for spite.

I prefer to know their intentions before they get the rear paws on the bottom rung.
Dat Bear knew a human had past by recently and was tracking his next dinner noms.

That's just an issue of numbers, and proximity to human habitation. In terms of behavior, and per-capita, or percentages, browns/grizzly's are infinitely more dangerous. Odds are about 99.99% in favor of the black bear running for it in a human encounter, unless you threaten or block cubs, or are a toddler/baby drenched in BBQ sauce.  =D

And blacks mainly "stalk" humans for the same reasons hyenas stalk lion prides. Looking for us to lead them to our leftovers. An attack for the actual purposes of nom-nom on some Homo Sapiens happens when no trash, game carcasses, or fish are forthcoming, the bear is especially desperate, and/or the human does everything wrong to telegraph to the bear they're easy/passive prey for some reason.

That's not to say someone who thinks they're being stalked as the actual food item isn't going to take it very seriously, and you're never going to convince them otherwise. Myself included if it actually happened to me. A few million years of instincts is going to put you in better-safe-than-sorry mode for sure.  [tinfoil]

Any black bear knowingly going after a human to actually eat them, there's always going to be some sort of "pretty girl, short skirt, dark alley" factor involved. IIRC, nobody in North America has died from a Black Bear since before 1980.

The last black bear actual attack in WI was about a decade ago. A young boyscout on a campout at night was dragged from his tent a few yards. And even then, it's arguable the tent (and any smells, IIRC, candy wrappers/chocolate was in the tent) was the bear's target, and the boy just had the bad luck to be the first thing the bear latched onto.

I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
Sounded like a New Englander in the stand. Men of few words.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »
i'm looking for a youtube video from PA of a guy interacting with a PA black bear

BooBoo trundles up and lacking an aggressive response from the man, attempts to taste his boot

repeatedly.

OMG, thats a problem bear that needed the klaxon and 2x4 treatment.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
while not a bear,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI
is illustrative of fear and non loathing

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »

;/ Wrong.

'Course, I wouldn't know, I'm just a park ranger and there are just a few hundred bears on my park...

The main...really the only problem we have is if someone is trying to feed them. then they hang around and become a nusiance. Long as there is no trash/food outside and nobody is trying to feed them, they simply ignore or stay away from humans. We don't have trashcans on the park so there is no incentive for them to be around.

Bears are the subject that park visitors ask about the most. Yet the thing they are least likely to see.

Now, I wouldn't go try to pet/hug one, but I also don't fear them like some do (like the crazy lady who came into the visitor center the other day with her bear siren)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:59:35 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
while not a bear,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI
is illustrative of fear and non loathing

That was hilarious! And kind of cute. I think that yote just wanted to play. He looked really sad as he walked off.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
interdasting:

And the research conducted by the University of Calgary's Dr. Stephen Herrero finds lethal black bear encounters are more likely to occur in Canada and Alaska than in the lower 48 states.

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of deadly black bear attacks don't involve the animals protecting their young, said Herrero, who collected data on the incidents across North America from 1900 to 2009.

"The black bear has evolved a dramatic repertoir of acts to protect their young but they don't follow through," said Herrero, whose work is being published in the Journal of Wildlife Management.

"What surprised me was the disproportionate participation of males in the predatory side."

Male bears, as opposed to females, he said, have an instinctive need to be larger "and human beings look big and look like something good to eat."

Herrero was quick to point out serious bear attacks remain rare and wilderness areas are relatively safe

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/05/11/beware-the-black-bear

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »

"an instinctive need to be larger"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
Those are the same movements my dog makes when he's play fighting with me.  I wonder if  Wiley just wanted to play.

I'm at work, so the sound is off.  Maybe there were sounds that painted a different impression.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
oh! look at the house cat playing with the mousie!

me thinks if the 'yote was 120 pounds, it would play a bit harder

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
My 13lb dog plays rougher than that 'yote did.  I don't think he was trying hard to go after the guy. 

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: I think I woulda spoken up a little sooner.
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
;/ Wrong.

'Course, I wouldn't know, I'm just a park ranger and there are just a few hundred bears on my park...

The main...really the only problem we have is if someone is trying to feed them. then they hang around and become a nusiance. Long as there is no trash/food outside and nobody is trying to feed them, they simply ignore or stay away from humans. We don't have trashcans on the park so there is no incentive for them to be around.

Bears are the subject that park visitors ask about the most. Yet the thing they are least likely to see.

Now, I wouldn't go try to pet/hug one, but I also don't fear them like some do (like the crazy lady who came into the visitor center the other day with her bear siren)
wtf is a bear siren?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.