Author Topic: Serenity to fly again?  (Read 6549 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Serenity to fly again?
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Could-Netflix-Resurrect-Firefly-Nathan-Fillion-Says-Hmm-37830.html

It need not be a full 22 week season.  Even if it was just a mini-series or the occasional movie I would be happy.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Serenity to fly again?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
They shouldn't tease us like that.

If they do bring it back though, I hope it would be pre-Serenity so we can see the original cast. I would prefer that anything post-Serenity be another movie.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
They shouldn't tease us like that.

If they do bring it back though, I hope it would be pre-Serenity so we can see the original cast. I would prefer that anything post-Serenity be another movie.

I agree.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
Ditto. Fill in the existing timeline.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
More YoSafBridg !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »
Ditto. Fill in the existing timeline.

This. I've always thought that they shouldn't try to do anything that would follow the movie. It just wouldn't feel like the same sci-fi universe to me, given what happened to Wash. Now filling in holes in the series would be nice. I want to know more about "two by two, hands of blue" dammit!
Andy

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
More YoSafBridg !!!

This is really all that really matters.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »
With Nathan Fillion now doing CASTLE how would this work out?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
This. I've always thought that they shouldn't try to do anything that would follow the movie. It just wouldn't feel like the same sci-fi universe to me, given what happened to Wash. Now filling in holes in the series would be nice. I want to know more about "two by two, hands of blue" dammit!

And Sheperd's backstory, and Jubal Early, and Niska, and YoSafBridg, and....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:10 AM »
TV seasons are generally shorter than they were when I was a kid.(COMBAT! season 1 had 32 one hour episodes - but they were longer episodes, thanks to fewer commercials. Star Trek's first season had 29. Castle is around 24. )  if the people involved can get together on scheduling and the actors have the same work ethic that actors did in the '60s and '70s, there should be no problem doing more than one show; Firefly only lasted 14 episodes, but only 11 originally were aired.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »

Plenty of tv actors shoot movies during their off time.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
Plenty of tv actors shoot movies during their off time.

But I think the discussion is actually to bring it back as a series.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
But I think the discussion is actually to bring it back as a series.

the point being that if others have time to shoot a movie, i'm sure joss and his schedulers can figure out how to shoot a tv series.
 ;/

Plus, this isn't for tv. It would give them more leeway in terms of shooting.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »
the point being that if others have time to shoot a movie, i'm sure joss and his schedulers can figure out how to shoot a tv series.
 ;/

Plus, this isn't for tv. It would give them more leeway in terms of shooting.

Movie shooting is different than series shooting. An actor can do a movie project because it can be wrapped up in the off-season time. It's not impossible to do two series, but it's much more difficult than doing a series, then just popping in for a month or two on a movie.

Although that depends on how both the movie and the series is written/shot, if there's multiple on-location shoots, seasonal requirements, travel involved, it's even harder. Although IIRC, Castle is shot in L.A. (they do a pretty damn good job of faking N.Y.!) so unless they go to Australia or NZ for the tax breaks, or "otherworldly look" for some shots. Maybe it's possible.

Honestly though, despite how intense the fan-base is, I think Firefly/Serenity is a matter of "Too much time, too much water under the bridge, people have moved on."  The best folks can realistically hope for is a new cast and TV show set in the same 'Verse. And then of course, it runs a huge risk of "Just not being the same", and dying all over again, since the cast is different. Maybe bolstered by cameos and walk-ons from the original cast where possible.

So for any new Firefly property that gets pitched, they have to be fairly certain they can hit the ground running, and hit some home-runs quickly to make it work and be worth the money and investment. Time is on their side for that.  If a different story in the same universe is to be told, then the longer they wait, the lower the bar is. (Look how awful the first season and a half of STTOS was, and everyone still loved it...)
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
The orginal was shot in a studio, with almost no location work.

Serinity was the same.

If the schedule it right and do all the shooting for a short season in the two months, they could pull it off.

As to wither ot would be any good or not, well, yep, you nailed the issues.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
The orginal was shot in a studio, with almost no location work.

Since every planet looks like Southern California, the locations aren't much of a problem  =D

I can think of all sorts of spin-offs if they can't assemble the original cast (and assuming post-Serenity.the.movie some folks are dead already).  What if Serenity the ship is not still flying and the captain and some crew homestead on some remote moon ???  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »
Since every planet looks like Southern California, the locations aren't much of a problem  =D

Well, terraforming will do that... ;)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
. . . I can think of all sorts of spin-offs if they can't assemble the original cast (and assuming post-Serenity.the.movie some folks are dead already).  What if Serenity the ship is not still flying and the captain and some crew homestead on some remote moon ???  =|
Hmmm . . . what if River were actually a killer cyborg programmed by Skynet back on Earth-That-Was to seek out and destroy humans in the new solar system?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

No... Half of them look an awful lot like British Columbia. Stargate and Battlestar Galactica say so.  =D

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
No... Half of them look an awful lot like British Columbia. Stargate and Battlestar Galactica say so.  =D

Can you point out a non-CGI Firefly planet/moon location that doesn't look like SC ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »

That's because they don't have terraforming in Stargate. DUH!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
That's because they don't have terraforming in Stargate. DUH!

That's true. Canada is not part of Terra.
I promise not to duck.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 07:33:02 PM »
One thing is absolutely certain. If they manage to pull off another series there will be fierce battles on APS between those who love it and those who think it doesn't measure up to the original.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »
There's lots more they could do with the story.

Some damsel in distress episodes ... heck, Kaylee has only been tied up once:lol:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »
There's lots more they could do with the story.

Some damsel in distress episodes ... heck, Kaylee has only been tied up once:lol:

At least that we know of.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!