Author Topic: CMP Service Grade Garands  (Read 3123 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CMP Service Grade Garands
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
Just an FYI for anyone interested. I just got a CMP email that says they have about 2000 service grade rifles in stock. They'd been out of them for quite some time. Looks like $625 and $950. Though at $950, I'd probably kick in the extra $50 and get the Special grade.

I bought a service grade from them a few years ago. The service grades are really nice, shootable rifles. Thinking about getting a second one at the $650 price point.

To immediately drift my own thread, I wonder where these came from? I thought Obama put the kibosh on Garand imports in 2010.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: CMP Service Grade Garands
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
I saw the email.  I was paying attention to the note about bayonets. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »

To immediately drift my own thread, I wonder where these came from? I thought Obama put the kibosh on Garand imports in 2010.

Not on Garand re-imports... just on one particular batch of Korean turn-ins that were coming to CAI or some other for-profit importer.  Some say the Garands were junk and not worthy of being put through the CMP channels.  Some say Obama did it to show toughness for the Brady folks.

I think it boils down to the fact they were given as military aid, and the S Koreans want to "sell" them back to us.  They should be given back into circulation via the CMP.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:10:39 AM »
I think it boils down to the fact they were given as military aid, and the S Koreans want to "sell" them back to us.  They should be given back into circulation via the CMP.
We tend to "buy back" our own gifts . . . I remember reading that during the Vietnam war we were "buying back" leftover WWII bombs from the British that we'd originally given them to fight the war.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Not on Garand re-imports... just on one particular batch of Korean turn-ins that were coming to CAI or some other for-profit importer. 

Ah -- interesting. I didn't know that. I knew the South Korean rifles started the controversy, but thought he did a blanket import restriction. I wonder where they found their latest batch? The $950 ones are labeled 'collector grade".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »
My club got CMP affiliated just this year, right as they all dried up.  :laugh:

:'(

I should pounce on one of these, whatever gauges out as the best shooter, but it would throw off all my projects to get my toes wet with NFA stuff by yet another year.  :-X

I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
But the NFA stuff will be there next year, that may not be the case on a Garand!

I love my H&R service grade I bought a few years ago.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
^this....   except mine's a springfield
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:05:23 AM »
I'm still mad I didn't buy a wagon of the Danish re-imports with brand new barrels in them when the were $425 ten years ago. Had the paperwork printed out and everything.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
If you're looking for a CMP rifle, Service Grade will give you a pretty decent & function one - but read and understand the description - unless you're exceptionally lucky, you're not going to get one that's pristine; you're going to get one that meets the criteria. (I've got two Service Grades - one slightly surpasses SG criteria, the other is somewhat better, so I have no cause for complaint. But neither is the nearly-collector-grade rifle that some lucky dogs get - they're both post WWII mixmasters.)

If I were looking for only one rifle today, and was going to use it as a shooter, I'd probably go for one of the CMP's Special Grade rifles with new barrel, stock, etc. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
I do have to say that the special grade rifles are great.  They look great and shoot really well.  I believe I got a 1.5" 5 shot group at 100 yards with mine once.  You have to get the rifle targets that match up to that front sight though.  I haven't shot it much lately.  I guess I need to correct that.

If you have the opportunity, a road trip to one of the stores is a great way to pick up a low numbered rifle in whatever shape.  I kick myself as my Dad and I did that and I passed on a rifle with serial number under 1,000,000 to get a 1950's rifle that ended up not being as great as I thought it would be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
Just finished re-finishing my new Special grade that I received before Christmas.

It's a new stock, but not terribly well finished.  Stock was downright rough.  220grit sandpaper, 320grit, then #0000 steel wool.  3 coats of boiled linseed oil, rubbing down the stock with steel wool between coats. 

Now it looks and feels pretty darn nice.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!