Author Topic: Student's photo banned from yearbook  (Read 29419 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Student's photo banned from yearbook
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »
Because this girl's photograph was not approved as a replacement photo for the portrait section of the yearbook, you have determined that in Americuh, we emotionally stunt everyone and saddle them with no responsibilites whatsoever, treating them as a total child until they become 18 at which point we treat them as adults overnight?

Obviously I reach my opinions by virtue of a single thread.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »
Obviously I reach my opinions by virtue of a single thread.

and experience
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
The swim team wears their garb in the pool.
To promote "school spirit"
the cheerleaders wear their uniforms during school hours

The school policy says skirts must be below the out stretched finger tips,
The cheerleaders skirts are much shorter.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
Wrestling team? Swim team?
Fan flames much?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
The swim team wears their garb in the pool.
To promote "school spirit"
the cheerleaders wear their uniforms during school hours

The school policy says skirts must be below the out stretched finger tips,
The cheerleaders skirts are much shorter.

Not at my high school they wern't
 =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »
Wrestling team? Swim team?

And actually the wrestling uniform covers quite a bit and a female swim team members suit covers most also.  Your argument holds no water here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
And actually the wrestling uniform covers quite a bit and a female swim team members suit covers most also.  Your argument holds no water here.
Snort! *expletive deleted*che'.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
This thread is on its way to becoming one of the record-length APS threads. And over a yearbook photo?  ???

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Student's photo banned from yearbook
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
This thread is on its way to becoming one of the record-length APS threads. And over a yearbook photo?  ???
forums gotta know its priorities man
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
Wow. I had no idea anyone had such strong feelings about high school wrestling and swimming.  ???  I just thought those might be other examples of revealing uniforms worn by high school sports teams. I'm not sure what water that was supposed to hold.

My high school didn't have a swim team, so I don't know about those uniforms, but our cheerleaders had skirts that were short-ish, with sleeveless tops. I guess the outfits are more revealing, some places.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »

This is a wrestling uniform.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:06:55 PM by wmenorr67 »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »

This is a wrestling uniform.

That's a really tiny wrestling uniform. I like the blue with the question mark, though. Looks like a superhero costume. ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
Here are some more wrestling uniforms, and a lot of them provide less coverage than what you posted, wmenorr. FWIW

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrestling%20team&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=umsPT-e9NeXo2gXe0933Ag&biw=1280&bih=873&sei=vGsPT8CuLoqU2wXLu6CzAg

I guess they cover more than the outfit in question, but that doesn't mean they would be accepted in the photo, or in a classroom. I also think bluestarlizzard has a point about some outfits being more acceptable in certain circumstances.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »
Liz is correct IMHO.

It's about context.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »
Here are some more wrestling uniforms, and a lot of them provide less coverage than what you posted, wmenorr. FWIW

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrestling%20team&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=umsPT-e9NeXo2gXe0933Ag&biw=1280&bih=873&sei=vGsPT8CuLoqU2wXLu6CzAg

I guess they cover more than the outfit in question, but that doesn't mean they would be accepted in the photo, or in a classroom. I also think bluestarlizzard has a point about some outfits being more acceptable in certain circumstances.

What I posted happens to be the standard at the high school and college level for at least 30 years.  Most of the pictures that show up, that are more revealing are going to be at least 2 generations if not farther back.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
This was the wrestling team's uniform at my school in '68. The wrestler is Jim Ellingson, the school's champion for that year. He sewed his own uniform, and used pins and Crayola crayons to tattoo the likeness of Duffy, his cat, on his face.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2012, 02:07:08 AM »
This was the wrestling team's uniform at my school in '68. The wrestler is Jim Ellingson, the school's champion for that year. He sewed his own uniform, and used pins and Crayola crayons to tattoo the likeness of Duffy, his cat, on his face.

LOL

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

I had absolutely no recollection that The Ultimate Warrior had a mullet. I suppose that makes sense, though, it being the Ultimate Haircutâ„¢.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
I'm proud to say I had no idea who that was. :)

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
I can neither confirm nor deny that there is a picture of me in the high school yearbook wearing a speedo.  Showing much more private area than this girls photo.  And the outline of my genitalia.

However, IMHO, the yearbook committee has the right to tell the girl she cannot substitute the offical photo with her own provacative photo.  15 minutes of fame, entitlement, whoredom, whatever her reasoning, I'm just not sympathetic or caring for her supposed plight.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »
What I posted happens to be the standard at the high school and college level for at least 30 years.  Most of the pictures that show up, that are more revealing are going to be at least 2 generations if not farther back.

Oh, OK. Thanks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
Well, now that everyone in America has seen her in her boobie scarf, I guess getting the picture in the yearbook isn't such a big deal  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

This is a wrestling the required uniform.

Tights.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

redscabbard

« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2012, 08:54:49 AM »
But it was the yearbook committee, made up of students, that said no.

Good for them!
I worked in a school district that needed a dress code, and created one, for the kids and staff.  Quoting a teen male, "'Bout time the ho-s had to wear some clothes."

What the kids wear when they go "out" should be different that what they  wear in class.  Our school district doesn't have a dress code, but if it is "distracting and limiting education" the student can turn the T-Shirt with inappropriate slogans inside out, or if too much skin, borrow a sweatshirt from the office.