Author Topic: A little crossbow help?  (Read 1247 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
A little crossbow help?
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:38:35 AM »
Buddy bought a crossbow.  No string, no brand that I can find. I'm the "gun guy" so I get the questions.

Unstrung it is 26" notch to notch.  What length string am I looking for?

Does that transfer to bolt length?

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: A little crossbow help?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:46:30 AM »
Strongly suggest he take it to a shop that deals in crossbows. The string and the bolts need to be matched to the bow  Those things can store a tremendous amount of energy and limb and stock failures generally fall in the catastrophic catagory.
I dabble in making primitive bows and  can make a flemish splice string and while I've never had a bow or string fail on me I've seen the results first hand.
"So, how did you lose your eye/teeth/nose?" are not questions you want to have to answer.
That it does not prominently display a brand would make me question it's quality.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:37 AM »
Yeah. 

I get squirrely when the only labels are "Crossbow" and "Made in Taiwan".

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »
http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm

I researched string-making.

I wanted to make a longer string to reduce the weight on my 80 lb hand-crossbow (see below) with a one-piece aluminum bow.  It is too noisy for what I wanted (sounds like a screen door slamming) and is too hard to string.  (You can't use your legs to string it, like a regular bow.)  I figured an inch or so extra on the string would do the trick.  But what with the cost of a whole roll of Dacron or whatever you want to use, et cetera, just for a one-off string, I finally decided to just have the pros do it.  But I never got around to bringing it in for measurements. They quoted 12-15 bucks, sight unseen, knowing it was a pistol crossbow.

When I strung it I had to use the railing pickets on my balcony for leverage and you could hear the railing groaning as I forced enough bend in one limb to "nock" the string. (I don't have a shop or anything like it in my apartment.) It remains strung, up there on a closet shelf.

It's got a cocking lever, so cocking it isn't a problem, but man, stringing it was a bitch.  

Shoots fine, very powerful, but if you're too close to a cardboard box target filled with newspapers, it will strip the fletching off the bolts.  Good sights, but they are plastic and a little fragile.  Easy to cock despite the 80lb weight, if you keep the cocking mechanism rails lubed with candle wax.

Terry, 230RN

ETA: It's an MTech DX-80

Credit and source in properties.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:33:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.