Author Topic: jeep headlights  (Read 6299 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
jeep headlights
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
worked last night   today no lights  high beams will come on if i hold the signal stalk back towards me but cut out if i let go.  some kinda fuse?   or relay? or....????
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: jeep headlights
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:51:28 PM »
Day time running circuit?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
95 jeep  no daytime  it does have the deal where lights stay on for a couple mins after you turn it off
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
bad dimmer switch.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
Does it have factory fog lamps?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »
95 jeep  no daytime  it does have the deal where lights stay on for a couple mins after you turn it off

If the 95 is wired like my 88, there's a circuit breaker in the headlight switch itself -- no external fuse. The circuit breakers rarely go bad. When they do, the lights will work for a few minutes, then cut out when the breaker heats up, then they'll come back on when it cools down.

That "headlight sentinal" delay thingie may be the culprit, and I believe it's a simple module plugged in between the headlight switch and the wiring harness. If you can find it, see if you can remove it and plug the two parts of the harness directly together. If that fixes it, you found the problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »

yes it does

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

Shouldn't matter.

More to the point, do the parking lights come on? If the parking lights work, the headlight switch is working, so you should focus on the sentinal delay module.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
I think the passing light circuit (lights coming on when you hold the stalk back) is seperate from the runtime circuit.  In other words the current is pulled directly from the fuse block through a unique power feed to that's seperate from the power feed that's used for regular headlight operation.

Check your fuses, all your fuses.  If your Jeep is like my parent's Tahoe, there can multiple fuses in the circuit, and in any one of THREE different fuse box locations.  It's maddeningly complex and the locations are seemingly random, but that's the way it is.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
gentlemen i thank you all. temp is about to liquify water and i am going outside to fix it

while i wouldn't let any of you marry my sister you are a tremendous collective of info and experience. and i benefit greatly from it

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
gentlemen i thank you all. temp is about to liquify water and i am going outside to fix it

while i wouldn't let any of you marry my sister you are a tremendous collective of info and experience. and i benefit greatly from it

If your sister is anything like you, I don't think any of us would want to marry her. >:D [popcorn] :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
If your sister is anything like you, I don't think any of us would want to marry her. >:D [popcorn] :laugh:

she is absolutely nothin like me, and you may have erroneously assumed my interest was in protecting her from you.  quite the opposite. shes like a female josie wales."easy to track  leaves dead men everywhere she goes"

truly driven.  retook sats in an effort to get from 1580 to the perfect 1600. 4.0 plus all the way through school including yale law school. the big scandal in her life was 1 b+ in pre law that she fought to get changed and failed.  a very scary lady

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »

she is absolutely nothin like me, and you may have erroneously assumed my interest was in protecting her from you.  quite the opposite. shes like a female josie wales."easy to track  leaves dead men everywhere she goes"

truly driven.  retook sats in an effort to get from 1580 to the perfect 1600. 4.0 plus all the way through school including yale law school. the big scandal in her life was 1 b+ in pre law that she fought to get changed and failed.  a very scary lady

So she would actually have the common sense to stay away from most of us anyway. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »
So she would actually have the common sense to stay away from most of us anyway. :laugh:

perhaps not  shes a borderline man hater who just divorced her hubby of 20 some years.
  she believes in sport/trophy hunting  >:D

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »

perhaps not  shes a borderline man hater who just divorced her hubby of 20 some years.
  she believes in sport/trophy hunting  >:D

Thanks for the warning.  Maybe you should set her up with Mabs. [popcorn]

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  Maybe you should set her up with Mabs. [popcorn]

you do have a mean streak.  i wouldn't set fistful up with her, if he was single.  neither would survive

we get along ok now.  not always though when she was 19 and i was 21 i gave her a 3 piece and knocked her out at the dinner table.most folks would say hitting a girl was evil, not so folks who knew her.  they are just surprised she didn't have me killed  i also threw her out on xmas eve from the home place a few years later.  she is one scary lady.  and the deceptive camouflage is particularly good. by the time they realize the danger they are lying in a pool ot their own blood dying

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
you do have a mean streak.  i wouldn't set fistful up with her, if he was single.  neither would survive

we get along ok now.  not always though when she was 19 and i was 21 i gave her a 3 piece and knocked her out at the dinner table.most folks would say hitting a girl was evil, not so folks who knew her.  they are just surprised she didn't have me killed  i also threw her out on xmas eve from the home place a few years later.  she is one scary lady.  and the deceptive camouflage is particularly good. by the time they realize the danger they are lying in a pool ot their own blood dying

Damn now I'm curious.  If she pissed you off that much, makes me wish I was single, I would be willing to take a chance. [popcorn] =D

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Damn now I'm curious.  If she pissed you off that much, makes me wish I was single, I would be willing to take a chance. [popcorn] =D

heck  she didn't piss me off  she through a plate of spaghetti (with the plate) in my face from 3 foot away. i was stunned for a second then just reacted on instinct.  i was scared after. he b/f could kick my butt.  xmas eve she fomented a fight between my lil bro and dad. i was awakened to her screaming for help. i peeled lil bro off dad.  dad suckered punched lil bro while i held him. i punched dad out.  and it all started when she decided to pour lil bros vodka out in the sink.  he 21 and in his own house. i don't blame him for being mad

you or the revdisk might enjoy/survive dating her. you need a permission slip from wife as well as a living will to take that chance

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
my grand cherokee factory fogs have a relay that switches them off when you switch on the high beams

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
my grand cherokee factory fogs have a relay that switches them off when you switch on the high beams
mine cherokee sport does too

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
So are you fog lights working?

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
yes so long as i don't use high beams

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »
Where the module/relay located? What's it look like ?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
When I had my '94, I could literally do anything it needed out of a chilton's manual.  Man, I miss that jeep!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »
My daugher has a 90-something Cherokee.

The biggest problem that she has had with it has been with the door locks/latches and rear gate  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin