Author Topic: Stop Online Piracy Act  (Read 8011 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Stop Online Piracy Act
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »
Just saw a notice posted about this.  H.R. 3261 "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) & S. 968 "Protect IP Act" (PIPA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

I haven't done any research on it yet.  Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Stop Online Piracy Act
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
Whenever the government wants to regulate anything to do with the internet, I get very, very wary. They don't give a *expletive deleted* about stopping actual piracy but do seem to have quite the appetite for chipping away at free speech...especially effective mediums of free speech...

Oh, and when the word "bipartisan" gets tossed around, RUN!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »
Uhm...yeah no thanks.

As Avenger said, the government regulating the internet is, or at the very least opens the door for, bad juju
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »
It's terrible. At least as bad as the DMCA.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

agricola

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Just saw a notice posted about this.  H.R. 3261 "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) & S. 968 "Protect IP Act" (PIPA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

I haven't done any research on it yet.  Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Bad.

Pretty much unmitigated bad. :mad: [ar15]

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
It's a leap towards "Chinese style" internet.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »
Some sites will be "going dark" on the 18th in protest.  Including reddit, and craigslist.

Somehow craigslist got wind that Monster Cable was planning on taking down craigslist as soon as Sopa came into effect in an effort to stop second-hand sales of its cables.  :O
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
Somehow craigslist got wind that Monster Cable was planning on taking down craigslist as soon as Sopa came into effect in an effort to stop second-hand sales of its cables.  :O

???

WTF?

How the hell does second-hand sales infringe on copyright at all? Last time I checked, no manufacturer has the ability to stop second hand sales; even the software companies got drubbed on that, IIRC.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »
???

WTF?

How the hell does second-hand sales infringe on copyright at all? Last time I checked, no manufacturer has the ability to stop second hand sales; even the software companies got drubbed on that, IIRC.

Quote from: Craigslist Itself!
Corporations whose lobbyists drafted SOPA and PIPA want the ability to block you from reaching any web site they feel hurts their profits -- without due process, or review in any court -- by hijacking DNS (!) and censoring search results. Hoping you won't notice until it's too late, Congress is preparing to give them that right.

For example, Monster Cable (who brought "Monster Park" to 49er fans) considers craigslist a "rogue site" for takedown under PIPA - they want to prevent YOU from selling YOUR unwanted cables, by removing craigslist from the Internet entirely (reddit), so they can increase their sales of new cables! Many other "rights holders" want to be able to do the same. (Boycott anyone? There's an app for that.)

SOPA/PIPA authors and supporters insist they're only fighting "piracy," but Internet Engineers understand that this is an attempt to impose China-style government control over our public Internet. Hmmm, who should we believe?

Read the rest here: http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:47:16 PM »
Stopping terrorists and/or pirates--real or imagined--with tyranny is a devil's bargain. 

There are ways of dealing with both without surrendering all of our civil liberties.  We have to draw the line.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:18 AM »
The problem is that if this legislation gets pushed through and signed, and implementation happens fast enough, there isn't anything we (meaning anti-SOPA) can do.  Pure communications and all.

"Tell me, Mr. Anderson.  What good is a phone call... if you're unable to speak?"
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 05:38:25 AM »
Stopping terrorists and/or pirates--real or imagined--with tyranny is a devil's bargain. 

There are ways of dealing with both without surrendering all of our civil liberties.  We have to draw the line.
Exactly. Piracy/counterfeit is already illegal. If there is evidence of this, take them to court.

This BS is just one more level of BS that should be balled up and thrown in the fire
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on it?

It's sole purpose effectively negates due process.

Allegedly, if SOPA passed, Monster Cable is/was planning on trying to take down Craigslist due to second hand sales of their hideously overpriced and underperforming cables.

Source: http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115265-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA

Interwebz pwns special interests and their purchased congress critters.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »
Something tells me that even second hand Monster cables are overpriced. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
Something tells me that even second hand Monster cables are overpriced. 

Monoprice.com FTW. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115265-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA

Interwebz pwns special interests and their purchased congress critters.

WHOO-HOO!!!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »
SOPA shall return with a new name during a busy news cycle where folks might miss it...

Eternal Vigilance!
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
I wonder if these sites are still going to go dark on wednesday?

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
Don't forget PIPA, which is just as bad if not worse.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
I wonder if these sites are still going to go dark on wednesday?

According to today's news, Wiki is still planning to do so.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
Eternal Vigilance!

Don't forget PIPA, which is just as bad if not worse.

Yes. PIPA is still on the table. We ought to keep an eye out on that one.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
After a 3-day hiatus, SOPA is back.  :mad:
Charles Babbage

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »
Aaaand both Wiki and Google are under blackout.

Oh, and to a friend of mine who stated that Obama claimed he wouldn't support the SOPA, I replied: "Won't support" is not the same as "won't sign" or "will veto." He'll "refuse to support it" and then "reluctantly sign it."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
Aaaand both Wiki and Google are under blackout.

Oh, and to a friend of mine who stated that Obama claimed he wouldn't support the SOPA, I replied: "Won't support" is not the same as "won't sign" or "will veto." He'll "refuse to support it" and then "reluctantly sign it."

Replace 'reluctantly' with 'during a friday night GOP debate when nobody's paying attention to him'
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”